Review by A G Darr -- Oblivion Threshold

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by A G Darr -- Oblivion Threshold

Post by A G Darr »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Oblivion Threshold" by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oblivion Threshold by J. R. Mabry & B. J. West is the first of a four book saga following Captain Jeff Bowers, a slightly broken man who might be exactly the person humanity needs. After an encounter with a dangerous alien threat, the Colonial Defense Fleet sends Jeff alone on a reconnaissance mission. He then proves his willingness to die for his command…by dying. Or does he? A fluke encounter gives him a second chance, a new resolve, and powers me might never truly understand.

I almost missed out on reading this great book. The book’s summary (not the one above) was awkward and off-putting, switching between second-person and third-person point of view. I’d decided not to read Oblivion Threshold, but went ahead and read the author’s bio anyway. It excluded any information about B. J. West, but within the description of J. R. Mabry I saw it; the glimmering spark of a skillful wordsmith. Without knowing he’d almost lost me, J. R. Mabry changed my mind.

I immediately regretted my decision to let J. R. Mabry sway me when I read the prologue. It tried to set the scene for a sci-fi space narrative, but I was distracted by inconsistencies. A character named Andrada was identified as captain, then later was identified as the science chief (see pages 8 and 9). The actions and dialogue of the characters felt unrealistic and inappropriate. The writing itself had the finesse and artistry of a sledge hammer pounding repeatedly on sheet metal. Thankfully, after drudging through the prologue, the talent was once again revealed. There seemed to be a fascination with insects and arachnids with one or both of the writers. Though at times the references seemed to lack necessity, the descriptive imagery relating to insects and arachnids was both moving and beautiful. Interactions between characters felt organic and believable. The main character Jeff Bowers was damaged enough to feel like he could be a real person, and snarky in just the right way to be likeable.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, as I thoroughly enjoyed reading it once I was in the body of the work. Despite my initial misgivings, the prologue was a short portion of the book which did not warrant me lowering my rating to 2 stars. There were typos in the book, but they were not major. The prologue and premature ending of the book did keep me from giving this book a 4 star rating. I felt the story was shortened in the interest of stretching to four books instead of only three.

Oblivion Threshold is like a diamond inexplicably hidden in the ashes of a fire. The body of the book was well executed and clever. Characters were relatable and the dialogue was engaging. Yet, the skill and grace of this book were buried under the clumsy summary and prologue. This book would appeal to individuals who enjoy science fiction. The summary of the book likened Oblivion Threshold to Star Trek and Super Troopers, but I felt it held more kinship to Ender’s Game. I highly suggest you overcome any reluctance you might have and give this book a try. Pick up this diamond and blow off the ashes; you won’t regret reading it.

Oblivion Threshold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like A G Darr's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Interaction between the characters of Oblivion Threshold makes the story Beautiful.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”