Review by Sushan -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Andalusians are those who live in Andalusia, which is an autonomous community in Southern Spain. It is officially recognised as a historical nationality. Andalusians are a Romance-Arabic ethnic group, who speaks Andalusian Spanish, which is recognised as a distinct dialect.

No introduction is needed for Jerusalem, the ancient city, to which many have claimed for the ownership and because of that, subjected to and still being subjected, from time to time, to numerous conflicts.

With that background knowledge, let’s go to the review of Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois Benarroch. First of all I should warn you, that the book was not much organized, so will be my review as well.

It was a short novel. There were only 96 pages in my copy and there was a continuous story, without dividing it into chapters.

The story is about the author going to Jerusalem for an authors’ meeting, and meeting up with a series of unexplainable scenarios and situations, including his meeting with a woman who claimed that she is her mother, meeting a girl who is introduced as his daughter, of whose existence he was not even aware of, and he being kidnapped by a group of people and asking him to write an article to tell the world, that the Jews lived in Jerusalem even 2000 years ago, based on some memory they retrieved from water (theory of water memory).

Though the superficial story was so, the author has discussed some major topics, which can be argued over, for hours. I must admit, that I did not even understand some of them. I will only mention some of the topics discussed, without any of my own opinions regarding them. So they are open for the discussion, of those who read this review.

Mois discusses mainly about various political facts regarding Jews, including how they were treated by various nations and the sufferings of the Jews. Forcing people to change their religion, which is done by both Muslims and Christians in the history, is another such topic. Author shows that, many family lines have a mixture of religions in them due to the aforesaid fact. Monogamy versus polygamy and the disturbing nature of mobile phones to the human relationships are also discussed.

The author has tried to discuss many facts through this short fiction and, I felt like the book is really disorganized. To add some more discussion, author has put a manuscript in the middle of the book, which is shown as a writing of one of his friend. This clearly disrupted the flow and made me really annoyed. I usually do not sleep while reading, but this book changed it. It was that much boring to me.

Proof reading was done well and only few printing mistakes were noted.

The good side of this book to me was learning some new things including Andalusia, Jerusalem Syndrome (it is a mental phenomenon, which is triggered by a visit to Jerusalem. It is not a recognised mental illness) and the theory of water memory (the theory which tells that the water can retain memory of objects, with which it came to contact with).

With all that, I will give this a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I will recommend this book to those who like to read philosophical and political discussions.

Andalusian in Jerusalem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

you have explained the whole story in a very simple manner and have completed the review also. thanks for it.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 15:37 you have explained the whole story in a very simple manner and have completed the review also. thanks for it.
Thanks for the kind comment and hope that my review was useful for you :tiphat:

- Bill Gates -

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Sushan wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 19:27
Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 15:37 you have explained the whole story in a very simple manner and have completed the review also. thanks for it.
Thanks for the kind comment and hope that my review was useful for you :tiphat:
Welcome
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

It was quite interesting to know about this ethnic group 'Andalusians' in the Southern part of Spain. The word Andalus is an Arabic word for Spain, and your review shows that the book contains many burning issues. Anyhow it is an informative review about this part of the world.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Mois discusses mainly about various political facts regarding Jews, including how they were treated by various nations and the sufferings of the Jews. Forcing people to change their religion, which is done by both Muslims and Christians in the history, is another such topic. Author shows that, many family lines have a mixture of religions in them due to the aforesaid fact. Monogamy versus polygamy and the disturbing nature of mobile phones to the human relationships are also discussed.
The topics you mention are all discussed in the book, although I feel the main topic was the plight of the Jews when forced to leave their homeland. It's certainly a sensitive topic of which we shouldn't voice an opinion unless were very well informed. I have a bit of a notion because of my heritage but I do appreciate your carefulness.
The author has tried to discuss many facts through this short fiction and, I felt like the book is really disorganized. To add some more discussion, author has put a manuscript in the middle of the book, which is shown as a writing of one of his friend. This clearly disrupted the flow and made me really annoyed. I usually do not sleep while reading, but this book changed it. It was that much boring to me.
This is a hard read. Although I can guess the narrative style means something, it's not easy and I do understand that you fell asleep!
The manuscript definitely interrupts the flow of the story.

This is a very honest review of a book that's really hard to review, in my experience. Thank you!
Sushan Ekanayake

Sirajuddin wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 03:02 It was quite interesting to know about this ethnic group 'Andalusians' in the Southern part of Spain. The word Andalus is an Arabic word for Spain, and your review shows that the book contains many burning issues. Anyhow it is an informative review about this part of the world.
Despite of many cons, the book has to be given credits for its informative value. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Lunastella wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 19:54
The topics you mention are all discussed in the book, although I feel the main topic was the plight of the Jews when forced to leave their homeland. It's certainly a sensitive topic of which we shouldn't voice an opinion unless were very well informed. I have a bit of a notion because of my heritage but I do appreciate your carefulness.
This is a hard read. Although I can guess the narrative style means something, it's not easy and I do understand that you fell asleep!
The manuscript definitely interrupts the flow of the story.

This is a very honest review of a book that's really hard to review, in my experience. Thank you!
Thanks for your in depth insights and your valuable time for reading my review 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”