Review by Ksharmilla -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Ksharmilla -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Ksharmilla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Embalmer" by Vincent Zandri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let me begin by stating that I have read a lot of crime thriller novels. From a very early age, they were all I read. Every novel was unique and had its own special appeal. I would religiously hunt the shelves of libraries and bookstores for a new novel that looked like it was worth a read. More often than not, the cover drew me as well as the little summary on the back. That was what really sold me into deciding if a book was worth it or not.

When I selected The Embalmer, I did not know what to expect. I certainly did not expect this story. The Embalmer is a gruesome tale of a serial killer who preys on young women who cannot find a suitable relationship. Thus, they are drawn to modern dating applications which is how the killer finds them. He lures them into a false sense of security, gets them really drunk and then he kills them in the most horrifying way possible. Steve Jobz is an ex-cop turned government worker. He is hired by a private investigator to help catch the killer. Due to the nature of his work at a government institution, Jobz might just be the best guy to catch the perpetrator.

Vincent Zandri’s writing style is one that I am not too familiar or fond of. This novel is written from a first person perspective. His writing is fast paced and modern. There are no excessively lengthy paragraphs; he gets straight to the point. One would think that this makes for bad storytelling, however, I think it works well. I was not bored at all. It is a short novel which means I was able to finish this book quickly without distractions.

I must say that this is the most grisly crime thriller novel I have ever read. The author has taken something pure and sweet and turned it into something to be wary of. Women on dating applications must exercise a certain degree of caution, however, I doubt that any of them would ever think that they would end up dying in such a horrific manner. None of these women in this story ever thought that she would end up as a victim of a deeply troubled person. It is astounding how the author has made his killer pure evil. There is no other way to describe it. This is most certainly the most chilling crime novel I have read and it would remain on that list for quite some time.

Readers of crime novels would be drawn to this novel. However, it comes with a warning. Do not read if you are overly sensitive and detest crimes against women. This is not a novel for the faint of heart. If you can remember it is just a story and the violence does not turn you off, it is worth the read. I have rated this novel at 4 out of 4 stars for exceeding my expectations as well as the terror it evokes in the mind of the reader. I think I would read Mr. Zandri’s works in future, but with a specific screening process.

The Embalmer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ksharmilla's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This may not be the right genre for me, and yet I hope that justice ultimately prevails in this piece and in real life. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”