Review by StarkidStarling -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
StarkidStarling
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 408
Favorite Author: Hank Green
Favorite Book: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkidstarling.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 118944

Review by StarkidStarling -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Post by StarkidStarling » 03 Oct 2018, 15:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Illusions and Ink Spills" by Divya Hirani.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani is a collection of poems about the world. They are about the way youth idolize adults, the way parents raise their children, the way information is overly abundant, and even the cause of ulcers. The poems are easy to read and all of them are compelling.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to read some short, impactful poetry from an author with a lot of life experiences. This is not a book that would be enjoyed by people who do not like to take the time to reflect on what they read or for people who just want a traditional story.

There is a theme for everyone with the large variety of topics in Hirani's poetry. While some of the poems did not strike a chord with me, all of them were well written. As with any diverse collection of poetry, some of the themes are more meaningful to the specific reader than another would be.

Hirani's is an Indian immigrant and her writing exemplifies her cultural background. She makes references to different Hindu concepts such as Kundalini. I had to look up some terms to be able to understand the meaning in the poems, but it did not detract from the writing at all.

Worldly Trappings was my favorite poem in the compilation. It was about how parents lie to their children to protect them. Parents tend to be cold and inhumane to children to show their power in the relationship. As a parent, this poem really struck me. I want my child to know the truth and to know that his parents are actual people, too. It made me want to double think how I am raising my child so he knows to imagine others complexly.

Infobesity really stuck out to me because of the time in history we all live in. It is about information being overly accessible and present. We see news and information in Facebook ads and posts from friends, on TV during and in between shows, on billboards while driving down the road, and practically any other place where communication can occur. There is always something new to learn or experience. Hirani really hit the nail on the head with this poem and her reflection into modern society.

I rate Of Illusions and Ink Spills 4 out of 4 stars. This book was well edited and thoughtfully written. It would be an excellent read for anyone interested in poetry.

Of Illusions and Ink Spills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like StarkidStarling's review? Post a comment saying so!

JHuschle519
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 » 22 Oct 2018, 03:48

Every once in a while the urge to read poetry strikes me. The next time it does, I think I may give this book a try. You've made it sound very interesting, especially in your last paragraph where you mention Infobesity. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”