Review by Al Chakauya -- Learn to Play Guitar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Review by Al Chakauya -- Learn to Play Guitar

Post by Al Chakauya » 03 Oct 2018, 08:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "Learn to Play Guitar" by Gareth Evans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gareth Evans’ Learn to Play Guitar: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners to Intermediate Players is a non-fiction book. The book gives step-by-step guidelines on how to play a guitar. Gareth takes the reader on a journey of discovering important aspects of playing a guitar.

The author highlighted music theory. He further went on to ‘marry’ theory and practice. In this regard he explained different scales, construction of chords and he even explained how to string a guitar. He also explained guitar playing techniques including but not limited to strumming, palm muting and basic guitar playing techniques. Without giving any spoilers, let me hasten to say the book explains guitar playing in a simple but exhilarating way.

What I liked most in the book were the downloadable MP3 musical pieces in the e-book that I read which were used to explain the concepts. This made the learning process fun and indeed enjoyable. The interactive way of teaching is a clever way of capturing the reader’s interest. I also liked the purpose made diagrams and illustrations –they made learning more practical and conveniently easy. I enjoyed plenty of detail in the book –it made learning easier. What I did not like in the book was that some of the illustrations were a bit small for my liking. This made it difficult for me to see the diagrams on my android phone, and this was overly distracting.

The book consists of seven well paced, short chapters. The chapters are further divided into ‘bite-sized’ subchapters –which made reading a pleasure. The information given is concise –any beginner would benefit from this book. The technical jargon is explained in a simple and clear way -making the book a great read. There are revision questions at the end of each chapter –a clever way of making the reader revise his/her work. Answers to the revision questions are given at the end of the book. For easy reference, there is a link which takes you directly to the answers (if you wish to refer to the answers).

I recommend the book to emerging guitar players –they will enjoy interactive learning techniques used in this book. Experienced guitar players also need to read this book as they will pick some morsels on how to mentor their less experienced band members. The book is also a must read for music teachers. The interactive teaching techniques highlighted in the book will make their lessons memorable. In fact, anyone who is a keen and avid guitar player will definitely enjoy this book.

Learn to Play Guitar: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners to Intermediate Players is a book with well paced information. It tackles different aspects of playing a guitar in a fascinating way. I did not come across any grammatical and spelling errors in the kindle version that I read. The aspects taught are concise and do not overwhelm the reader. I enjoyed reading this book and as such I award it 4 out of 4 stars for the exhilarating read that it is.

Learn to Play Guitar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Al Chakauya's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”