Review by ValBookReviews -- The Lost Identity Casualties

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Review by ValBookReviews -- The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you enjoyed the 1997 action film, Face/Off starring John Travolta and Nicolas Cage, you will enjoy reading The Lost Identity Casualties (THE CALLAGHAN SEPTOLOGY Book 1) by Kim Ekemar. The concept of the storylines is the opposite. But the plot for revenge is yet similar. This brings to what The Lost Identity Causalities story is about. A gritty tale in relation to Matthias Callaghan, who loses his born identity. Equally, Matthias suffers from temporary amnesia and mutilated. Nevertheless, he regains his memory and plots revenge against the persons responsible for his misfortune.

The book focuses on two parts surrounding Matthias Callaghan before and the aftermath. Part one reveals what occurred during Matthias' privileged life and after his horrific face transplant. In addition, part two unfolds Matthias' plans to carry out his revenge. The Lost Identity Casualties are without question a captivating, thrill ride from start to finish.

Though I do not believe in revenge, I admire how the author systemically plots Matthias'. Consequently, I love that the storyline is captivating and alluring to the reader. I also like learning about the science of and history behind facial implants and mutilation. I can only imagine what it would mean to wake up with someone else's face. Additionally, the author did a great job explaining the ins and outs pertaining to medical research. I too adore Andrew's calming demeanor towards his employees, Matthias Callaghan, and Abdul Mahfouz. Needless to say, he is a loyal and a professional butler to them both.

However, I agree, the author could have done without applying days and dates throughout the story. Therefore, I wish that he had chosen his first option to omit them. Moreover, I do not like reading the story as a dated diary. Nor do I consider the preface a fitting addition to the book. Additionally, I feel that it is unnecessary for the author to expound upon his grievances, explanations, and regrets regarding the book. Matter of fact, I believe that the author does not need to defend himself. In other words, I would have enjoyed the book more without thinking about the introduction.

Although the text is British, I located a few grammatical and spelling errors. In spite of that, I rate The Lost Identity Casualties 4 out of 4 stars for the reason that I could not put it down. Therefore, I recommend The Lost Identity Casualties to readers who appreciate a splendid action-pack mystery. Furthermore, there is something to take away from Matthias' estranged father and son relationship. Especially when a father embezzles from his son. Congratulations to the author for careful preparation and planning of this book.

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ValBookReviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It sounds like a very interesting book with both both science and revenge.
Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 04:12 It sounds like a very interesting book with both science and revenge.
Great review.
Hi, Helen! Thank you very much for your reply! I sincerely appreciate your feedback. Yes, The Lost Identity Casualties is a good book mixed with science and revenge so similar to Face/Off. You will indeed enjoy it. :)
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Wow, there seem to be a lot of mystery novels out there right now!! Mysteries aren't really my forte and this one sounds somewhat...gruesome. I think I'll give it a pass. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Very good review. I like mystery novels. You made this one sound interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I can't believe an author can start off with grievances, explanations and regrets about a book a reader is just about to read. Unless he/she is trying out 'reverse marketing! ' Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Like you, I'd also deliberately go for forgiveness and believe that there's always a story behind every person's thoughts, decisions, and actions. Thank you for sharing the positive takeaways from the protagonist, the story line, and the overall value of the piece through your enlightening review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”