Review by Oulababe -- Invisible Me by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Review by Oulababe -- Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Invisible Me" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you wanted to lose weight when you were a teenager, and you found a magic shake that could do that immediately, you’d take it, right? Maybe you’d take it in such a hurry you wouldn’t notice if you added an ingredient that wasn’t supposed to be there. I don’t blame Freddie from Invisible Me by H.M. Irwing for that night when she added her father’s research concoctions to her weight loss shake. To her surprise, Freddie lost weight but gained something else, invisibility.

When Freddie becomes invisible, she stays a whole year without seeing her best friend, Kyle. The only person she talks to is her father. On her eighteenth birthday, she goes to visit Kyle. However, she finds Edwin. Edwin is Kyle’s cousin and her crush. She wanted to lose weight to impress Edwin. Edwin notices her when she starts bleeding from a wound that she gets running away. She ends up telling Edwin the truth first. Later she tells Kyle the truth. Edwin offers Freddie a job in his company. Things between them get steamy when Edwin starts to make moves on Freddie. They end up falling in love. Freddie is so fearless and loving that she commits corporate espionage for Edwin. You’ll want to read about how she does it.

I have to say that I was disappointed that Edwin was Freddie’s love interest. I think Kyle was more suited for the role. Edwin did not even know Freddie before she bumped into him yet they have such a serious and committed relationship in a concise time. For a book that’s 133 pages long, their relationship was unrealistic. I understand that relationships can start as fast as Edwin’s and Freddie’s, but it’s unrealistic for it to lead to marriage in such a short period. Freddie had more chemistry with Kyle than she had with Edwin which made the whole story feel unrealistic. Some of the reactions in this story also didn’t sound realistic. For example, if you found out that apparently, your best friend has been invisible the past one year, wouldn’t you be a little freaked out? I think the way Kyle and Edwin react to the news that Freddie is invisible is unrealistic. If they lived in a world where such things are common, I would have understood their reaction. However, Freddie is the only invisible person in the book which leaves me with questions about Kyle’s and Edwin’s calm reactions.

I found some typos in the book. They were annoying and disrupted my flow of reading. Some examples are "then" instead of "than" and "starting" instead of "staring" among others. There are also missing commas. I appreciate that the book is a fast read.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It has an exciting storyline, but the errors and unrealistic ideas make it less enjoyable. I recommend professional editing for this book. I recommend this book to romance lovers. It has mature content which is why I wouldn’t recommend it to readers who are aged under 18 years.

Invisible Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Oulababe's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Thanks for your honest review. I totally understand your frustration The book should be properly edited before it can get a higher rating.

Lovely review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for your review! It's too bad that you didn't like the book; it seems to have a good premise. For the reasons you listed though, like the unrealistic relationships and poor editing, I probably won't read it.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Great points. I think Kyle would have been a better match for her. I think their relationship was pretty quick. Given how she was invisible most of the time. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I really like how you start your review with the milk shake question! I like the story concept - it's a shame that the book does not do it justice.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Your review is very interesting. Looks like there was no closure between Freddie and Kyle. I also wonder how Kyle explained her one year absence before learning she was invisible. These would help with 'realisticating' the book. Great review though!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

Wow a very interesting review. I have read some of H M Irwing books and I must admit that her work is great. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for your review
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

One sad thing about life is when we are forced to make a "trade-off." What if don't have to and that we'll just get what we'd like to have without negatively affecting ourselves or others at all? That would be a dream, but it'll be difficult to say that such could perfectly happen in reality.

I could also see where "you're coming from." Thank you for your honest review, though.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

I've read a sample of this book and I agree with your honest review! Great stuff!
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Referring to your question, no I won't get that milk shake because I am naturally thin since I was little up until now, an adult. I have read the other writings by this author and I enjoyed them very much. Thank you for your honest review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

To be very blunt, unrealistic ideas and typing errors are two things I have repeatedly found in this author's writing. Add to that a cluttered way of writing, I am staying clear of her books. Thanks for the honest review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I fell in love with the sample and purchased the book. I think I'm too taken by the premise to worry about the errors, although they'd been quite evident from the start. However, I haven't gotten to the completely unrealistic parts that you've mentioned, but I sure would provide feedback on them when I do! Thanks for your honest review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I have to say that I was disappointed that Edwin was Freddie’s love interest. I think Kyle was more suited for the role. Edwin did not even know Freddie before she bumped into him yet they have such a serious and committed relationship in a concise time. For a book that’s 133 pages long, their relationship was unrealistic. I understand that relationships can start as fast as Edwin’s and Freddie’s, but it’s unrealistic for it to lead to marriage in such a short period. Freddie had more chemistry with Kyle than she had with Edwin which made the whole story feel unrealistic. Some of the reactions in this story also didn’t sound realistic. For example, if you found out that apparently, your best friend has been invisible the past one year, wouldn’t you be a little freaked out? I think the way Kyle and Edwin react to the news that Freddie is invisible is unrealistic. If they lived in a world where such things are common, I would have understood their reaction. However, Freddie is the only invisible person in the book which leaves me with questions about Kyle’s and Edwin’s calm reactions.
I have to say this surprises me. The other books I've read by H.M. Irwing are quite realistic romances: flawed, complicated, human. This one seems like it approaches a delicate subject, the struggle of being overweight but in not such a realistic way. I wonder why.
Thank you for a very honest review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think that the idea of the book of Freddie being invisible was a good one. It seemed to be kind of unexciting until she tried to spy for Edwin's company, however, that was a short part of the book. In all, the book had potential and had some good parts to the story.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 951
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Hoheneck by Ivan Fredrikson

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I found the book to be quite exciting. The errors are a pity.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”