Review by Shrabastee -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater, the first book of the Warramunga Trilogy, is a cross between an espionage thriller and a historical fiction. With a smoothly flowing storyline, consistent pace, likable characters, and vivid imagery, this book is a real treat for all bibliophiles.

The story describes to some extent the culture, customs, and extraordinary tracking and fighting skills of the Warramunga, indigenous Australians inhabiting the Northern Territories. After the Syrian war, Captain James Munro and Sergeant Jack O’Brien are transferred to an intelligence service division in Cairo. With the help of Captain Johnny Cook and some local prostitutes and belly-dancers, they successfully capture many German spies and thwart an outside attack on Cairo by intercepting some secret messages. After returning to Australia, they continue to pursue two German spies across the Warramunga territory. This leads to a series of unexpected situations culminating in a thrilling climax.

The best thing about the book was its beautiful imagery. Not all authors can paint pictures with words, but Kater did just that. The vivid descriptions take us straight to the hot and sultry Cairo, among the busy life at the banks of the river Nile. From there we visit the Australian creeks, the gold mines, and the limestone caves. I could visualize everything in my mind’s eye, from the dusty uphill roads to the coral caves to the band of kangaroos leaping away on the grassy plains. I felt as if I myself was traveling across the world with Jamie and Jacko.

According to the foreword, the book is based on the real-life experiences of the author and his father. This fact, coupled with the rigorous research done on his part, makes the accounts absolutely realistic. Kater shows how the gold prospecting around Warramunga lands affected their livelihood, a fact that has an actual historical basis. This perfect blend between fiction and history, as well as that between romance and adventure, was marvelous.

The characters are simple and likable. Both Jamie and Jacko are righteous, honest and brave, with an element of innocence inherent in them. The female characters playing dominant roles in the story were portrayed as resourceful and strong. However, character development was not a strong point in the book.

Although the contents were serious, the author added humor in places to give the novel a different flavor. For example, when one character describes how her family was abducted by the Nazis, Johnny Cook remarks:
“Ah yes, Hitler has an unfortunate habit of arresting Jews,”
Another two unique things about the book were the inclusion of Jamie’s song (written by Kater himself) complete with notations and use of Warramunga language by Sarah, Jacko’s half-sister.

I did not find anything negative to say apart from two points. First of all, the dialogue sounded a little superficial. The characters were always too polite, even formal in their conversation. Secondly, the chase Jamie and Jacko gave the German spies towards the end soon became tedious. For one thing, they moved through so many places that it was almost impossible to keep track. Also, even though the gang was always one step ahead of them, they seemed to be in no hurry to catch them. Whether they ate overdone sirloin or medium rare prime rib along the way seemed quite unimportant to me. However, considering the vast coverage of the book and the myriad of characters, the author did a very diligent job of tying up all the loose ends.

From a technical standpoint, the book seemed professionally edited, containing only one misprinted word. I would rate this book a full 4 out of 4 stars. With elements of history, travel, war, romance and thrill, this book will undoubtedly appeal to a broad range of readers. Apart from a few murder scenes, there is no violent content in the book. This was easily one of the best books I have read till date. I hope the next books in the series will be just as excellent as this one, if not more.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Seems like a nice book. I agree with you that there are very few authors who can paint using words. Your review was quite informative and I really liked it.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 03:00 Seems like a nice book. I agree with you that there are very few authors who can paint using words. Your review was quite informative and I really liked it.
Thank you Sunny for your kind comment! This was an enjoyable book and it reminded me of one of my all-time favourites - Chander Pahar by Bhibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

the chase Jamie and Jacko gave the German spies towards the end soon became tedious. For one thing, they moved through so many places that it was almost impossible to keep track. Also, even though the gang was always one step ahead of them, they seemed to be in no hurry to catch them. Whether they ate overdone sirloin or medium rare prime rib along the way seemed quite unimportant to me
Lol! I know the feeling. You almost want to shout at the character to be more serious, especially when the hunted is practically within grasp if only the hunter hurried!
Great review as usual!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Cotwani wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 06:05
the chase Jamie and Jacko gave the German spies towards the end soon became tedious. For one thing, they moved through so many places that it was almost impossible to keep track. Also, even though the gang was always one step ahead of them, they seemed to be in no hurry to catch them. Whether they ate overdone sirloin or medium rare prime rib along the way seemed quite unimportant to me
Lol! I know the feeling. You almost want to shout at the character to be more serious, especially when the hunted is practically within grasp if only the hunter hurried!
Great review as usual!
Thanks for the comment!
Ohh it was really irritating, the gang is just beyond their reach, and they are having BBQs and singing songs! I was like cummon guys go for them already! Wherever they are going, they find the gang has already been to that area, so it was a logical conclusion that they should have followed at a faster pace!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 03:27
Sunnyroyish wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 03:00 Seems like a nice book. I agree with you that there are very few authors who can paint using words. Your review was quite informative and I really liked it.
Thank you Sunny for your kind comment! This was an enjoyable book and it reminded me of one of my all-time favourites - Chander Pahar by Bhibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay.
Chader Pahar is also one of my favourites. I read it when I was in 5th standard from a public library near my house. As a child I loved it. Sadly the film was rubish :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:01
Chader Pahar is also one of my favourites. I read it when I was in 5th standard from a public library near my house. As a child I loved it. Sadly the film was rubish :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Oh my god don't even make me start on the film. The second one (Amazon Oviyan) is even worse! I curse myself for watching those two movies.
I also read the book in my fourth grade and still enjoy reading it. It instilled in me a dream of going to Africa one day. However, I felt very brokenhearted when I came to know that Bunyip does not exist! I really wish it did!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:07

Oh my god don't even make me start on the film. The second one (Amazon Oviyan) is even worse! I curse myself for watching those two movies.
I also read the book in my fourth grade and still enjoy reading it. It instilled in me a dream of going to Africa one day. However, I felt very brokenhearted when I came to know that Bunyip does not exist! I really wish it did!
Thank God I didn't watch Amazon ovijan. I like the byomkesh and feluda movies. They are much better.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:14
Thank God I didn't see Amazon ovijan. I like the byomkesh and feluda movies. They are much better.
Yeah... They are good films indeed! One of this days, I am planning to mail the director of those two Shankar films and ask what he was thinking when he made the bunyip that hideous!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:19
Thank God I didn't see Amazon ovijan. I like the byomkesh and feluda movies. They are much better.
Yeah... They are good films indeed! One of this days, I am planning to mail the director of those two Shankar films and ask what he was thinking when he made the bunyip that hideous!
That would be hilarious. Khub rege jabe :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:30
Shrabastee wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:19

That would be hilarious. Khub rege jabe :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
At least oi rokom film ar banabe na! :roll:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I enjoy books written with beautiful imagery. I think I would also enjoy the humorous interjections. Sounds like a good read!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Shrabastee Chakraborty

stacie k wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 22:45 I enjoy books written with beautiful imagery. I think I would also enjoy the humorous interjections. Sounds like a good read!
Yes, it was. Somebody once commented that this story was very peaceful. I did not understand how a book that cintains the word 'war' in the title can be peaceful, but it really was. I hope you enjoy this book
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am in a dilemma after reading your review. When you said,
With a smoothly flowing storyline, consistent pace, likable characters, and vivid imagery, this book is a real treat for all bibliophiles.
I instantly wanted to pick up this book.

But when you pointed out this lacuna in the story,
the characters were always too polite, even formal in their conversation. Secondly, the chase Jamie and Jacko gave the German spies towards the end soon became tedious.
I am not sure if I will pick it up. Maybe someday in the future! Thanks for the candid review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 03:01 I am in a dilemma after reading your review. When you said,
With a smoothly flowing storyline, consistent pace, likable characters, and vivid imagery, this book is a real treat for all bibliophiles.
I instantly wanted to pick up this book.

But when you pointed out this lacuna in the story,
the characters were always too polite, even formal in their conversation. Secondly, the chase Jamie and Jacko gave the German spies towards the end soon became tedious.
I am not sure if I will pick it up. Maybe someday in the future! Thanks for the candid review!
Thanks for your comment. I really enjoyed the book. The formal tone in the dialogue that I mentioned bothered me at first, but afterwards I did not notice it anymore. So I don't think it will create much of a problem.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”