Review by Beth KG -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by Beth KG -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG » 30 Sep 2018, 18:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With Apple’s recent announcement that its’ Apple Watch Series 4 can generate an EKG like a single-lead electrocardiogram, Final Notice by Van Fleisher has shifted out of the realm of science fiction and into the realm of scientific prediction.

In the foreword, Fleisher writes that his intentions for the book are to call attention to the way that senior citizens are perceived in the United States and highlight, “…our seemingly insatiable appetite for guns.” He has pledged to donate ten percent of net income from the book to organizations promoting better health care, educational and job opportunities, and fewer guns for fewer people.

The prologue begins with the assertion that if we were able to know for certain that our own death was impending, “Some would spend the time getting their legal affairs in order.” Others would make their final farewells or do something they have always wanted to do. Some would complete mundane tasks or donate to a favorite cause, “And some…might kill.”

The plot centers around entrepreneur Vijay Patel’s invention of the VT2 fitness watch, a device akin to a sports watch. The VT2 is so advanced that it can monitor an individual’s vital signs and predict that person’s impending death within a 30-day window. The story details how various characters respond to this information during initial field-testing of this product. Some characters use guns to settle old grudges because they know they are not likely to face the long-term consequences of their actions.

I thought the idea of a death-predicting watch was an intriguing one. The book was well-written. It did contain some errors. There were no graphic sex scenes. There were descriptions of violence, but it was not graphic and not gratuitous. It is probably suitable for young adults and upward. There are many different scenes and characters, but they are easy to keep track of. I did not feel particularly involved with any of the characters, but the story moved along logically and easily.

The author did a good job of describing how seniors are sometimes treated in this country. He also managed to convey how complex the subject of gun ownership really is. My only real complaint is that these problems are not as easily solved as is implied and Fleisher sometimes only looks at one side of the debate. Describing a philosophy of more stringent controls on gun buying is fine. Such a philosophy does not, however, address the numerous other concerns surrounding gun ownership.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it as a light-read on a complex subject. It will at least get you thinking. Just don’t expect to find any real solutions here.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Beth KG's review? Post a comment saying so!

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 02 Oct 2018, 23:22

While this watch may be useful for many elderly persons, I personally would not want to know when my life will end. Thank you for a wonderful review of this book.

jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad » 05 Oct 2018, 22:50

I've read multiple reviews on this book and I just don't think it is for me. Sounds more political based than anything else. I love the concept, just not sure I want to read the book. Thanks for the great review.

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Cotwani » 06 Oct 2018, 15:49

With Apple’s recent announcement that its’ Apple Watch Series 4 can generate an EKG like a single-lead electrocardiogram, Final Notice by Van Fleisher has shifted out of the realm of science fiction and into the realm of scientific prediction.
Wow, I did not know that! Hope things won't go the 'Final Notice' way! I enjoyed the book too and agree that the author focussed on one divide of the gun ownership debate. Great review!

Feel free to read my review of the same book at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=61792
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

HollandBlue
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 06 Oct 2018, 17:25

Cotwani wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 15:49
Wow, I did not know that! Hope things won't go the 'Final Notice' way! I enjoyed the book too and agree that the author focussed on one divide of the gun ownership debate. Great review!

I also heard something in the news about insurance companies wanting to use fitness watches to somehow track customer's health. I wish I had caught the whole story, because it immediately made me think of 'Final Notice' and all of its repercussions. I think health tracking on a watch by insurance companies is creepy and l'm glad that wasn't part of the book. The book already had enough controversial issues in it without adding this potential use.

The EKG feature is interesting though; I wonder if they will be using it to help cardiac patients?!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k » 06 Oct 2018, 21:43

I would agree that this book is thought provoking, which it seems is what the author intended. I enjoyed your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Beth KG

Post by Beth KG » 08 Oct 2018, 16:06

crediblereading2 wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 23:22
While this watch may be useful for many elderly persons, I personally would not want to know when my life will end. Thank you for a wonderful review of this book.
I'm not sure if I would want to know or not! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Beth KG

Post by Beth KG » 08 Oct 2018, 16:10

jcoad wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 22:50
I've read multiple reviews on this book and I just don't think it is for me. Sounds more political based than anything else. I love the concept, just not sure I want to read the book. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for reading my review and commenting. Much appreciated!

Beth KG

Post by Beth KG » 08 Oct 2018, 16:12

BookReader+6 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 17:25
Cotwani wrote:

I also heard something in the news about insurance companies wanting to use fitness watches to somehow track customer's health. I wish I had caught the whole story, because it immediately made me think of 'Final Notice' and all of its repercussions. I think health tracking on a watch by insurance companies is creepy and l'm glad that wasn't part of the book. The book already had enough controversial issues in it without adding this potential use.

The EKG feature is interesting though; I wonder if they will be using it to help cardiac patients?!
It seems to me that our every action is trackable these days. Even our health statistics! Thanks for commenting!

Beth KG

Post by Beth KG » 08 Oct 2018, 16:14

Cotwani wrote:

Yes, I think the gun ownership issue is more complex than presented in this book but again, it got me thinking and trying to decide what realistic solutions might actually exist.

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 12 Oct 2018, 15:46

The prologue begins with the assertion that if we were able to know for certain that our own death was impending, “Some would spend the time getting their legal affairs in order.” Others would make their final farewells or do something they have always wanted to do. Some would complete mundane tasks or donate to a favorite cause, “And some…might kill.”
this paragraph in your review is likable to read again and again by me. I want to read it more because it creates the smile after reaching to the extent of reality we all will suffer from one by one.

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 16 Oct 2018, 16:50

I have read different reviews of the book Final Notice and actually it is a story about the control of the life by a device called gun. But in your review you have used many difficult terminologies which are making the review complex according to my observation.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”