Review by Ann Mattocks -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ann Mattocks
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mattocks.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Ann Mattocks -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ann Mattocks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anna Simmons and Rafe Brown are in the fight for their lives in Heartaches 3: Bad Boy Vibes, by H.M. Irwing. Brought together by the horrors of their past they have fallen in love and joined forces to get justice against their rapists. Getting the justice they long for isn't so easy when they are dealing with the news that Rafe is the son and half-brother of Anna's rapists, the Prestons. To make matters more complicated, Rafe's Aunt Bella is scheduled to wed his father who is also the father of her unborn child, Peter Preston.

The upcoming wedding brings out more drama and conflict in Anna and Rafe's relationship when Matt Preston drops the bombshell that he was and still is in love with Anna. Anna had known that Peter instigated her rape, but finding out that he forced his sons to be his accomplices was not expected. The news has Anna questioning her love for Rafe and Matt, could she be in love with both brothers? Before she could figure out her own life she had to protect Aunt Bella and her unborn child, she had to focus on stopping the wedding.

Unbeknownst to Anna, her step-brother Brian had returned to her mother's home after the wedding festivities. Anna's hatred for Brian stemmed from him using her as a pawn to settle his debts to Peter Preston, her fear of him was from watching him murder his father. Brian was not a welcomed sight when Anna and Rafe arrived to celebrate Thanksgiving with her mother. To Anna's surprise, Brian came with apologies and offerings to help bring down the Peter Preston and Rafe's rapist, Eric Dayton. Despite Anna's hesitation, Rafe takes Brian up on his offer of help.

Along with Brian's offer of help came more intel on how much bigger the relationship between Peter and Eric is. Rafe and Anna knew there were date rape drugs involved, but Eric and Peter had their hands in a much bigger drug ring than anyone expected. Anna and Rafe knew their lives were at risk when they started their mission for justice against Eric and Peter, but neither of them was prepared for the great lengths Eric and Peter would go to when it came to drugs and money. It all comes down to the survival of the fittest.

This book was so intense I could not put it down until I finished, I had to find out if justice would conquer pure evil! There were so many parts of this book that I loved it was hard to pick my favorite. My favorite parts are two of the love stories, the first between Anna and Rafe while the second being between Anna's friend Pat and his love interest Dan. Anna and Rafe were dealt the worst hands in life, and they would work together to overcome them, their love only strengthened. When troubles arise young people are quick to throw in the towel on their relationship, Anna and Rafe knew they couldn't deal with everything on their own and worked even harder to stay together. I know from personal experience that life is so much better when you work as a team with your better half and I loved this about Anna and Rafe.

I loved how the author incorporated the love story of Pat and Dan to run alongside Anna and Rafe's. Pat and Dan's love develops at the time when gay marriage is starting to become legalized in many countries. Unfortunately for Pat, his parents are not accepting of Pat's sexuality and dismiss him from their lives. My heart broke for Pat and for everyone who has been shunned by their families for who they love. Like many others who have come out to their family, he seems more relieved to not be hiding his true self than the heartbreak of losing his family. The support system Pat has is incredible and made me cry with happiness. A family is not always blood-related, it's the people who love and support you without judgment.

As much as I loved Anna and Rafe's, Pat and Dan's love stories, there was an extra love story added to this book that I could have done without reading. The maid at the wedding venue, Suzi, and her boss David was extra fluff that I felt was unneeded and took time away from the storyline. H.M. Irwing did connect Suzi and David to the main storyline of the wedding festivities but adding their flirtation and wedding didn't add anything other than frustration for me. I was so engrossed with the other characters that I just wanted them out of the way after everyone left the wedding venue.

Heartaches 3: Bad Boy Vibes is the third and final book in the Heartaches Bad Boy Vibes series. While this book does stand on its own in entertainment value, I highly recommend reading the first book in the series, Heartaches Bad Boy Vibes, to understand the whole plot and all the characters who are involved. H.M. Irwing; it has written this novel in the third person with a very descriptive narrative. The descriptions made it easy to envision each scene without needing to fill anything in with my imagination, it played like a movie in my head.

I give Heartaches 3: Bad Boy Vibes a 4 out of 4 stars rating. This top rating is due to the appearance that is was professionally edited, I only found one sentence missing punctuation and a few spacing errors, and because it was a great read. The romantic relationships are very well-written and leave you wondering where they end up in a few years. I highly recommend this book to mature readers who are not easily embarrassed by erotic sexual content. Due to the very descriptive sex scenes, including BDSM, this book is not appropriate for young or immature readers.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ann Mattocks's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”