Review by Sarah Tariq -- Learn to Play Guitar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Learn to Play Guitar

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Learn to Play Guitar" by Gareth Evans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learn to Play Guitar: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners to Intermediate players by Gareth Evans is an amazing theoretical stuff with practical knowledge regarding playing the guitar. As the title shows, the book is essentially designed for the beginners of guitar learning. It includes detailed material on music, its application through a guitar, and various techniques to curb hurdles, which students may face while playing guitar.

This 74-pages guitar playing guide would be helpful for parents, teachers, and students seeking to teach and learn respectively, how to play the guitar. The book contains well-structured information for beginners to intermediate level learners. The book includes numerous photographic examples, illustrations to express the music lessons. More to say, through this book you will learn about basic techniques of holding the guitar, tuning the guitar, fretting hand technique, jingle bells, basic blues, the major scale, the minor scale, chords, strumming techniques, transposing by the root note, pentatonic scales, reading rhymes, palm muting, lead playing techniques. In the end, the author has incorporated stretching exercises to create a balance between the learning and physical boredom.

The Questions have been included at the end of each chapter with their answers at the end of the book. So, the students can easily rehearse the learned material. The author has additionally included the musical pieces with the downloadable MP3 track to make the lessons more practical and effective. The positive views of musical experts (Nimal De Silva of Singapore and Michael Hanna of N. Ireland) also enhance the importance of this book.

The book is not for everyone. Only those interested in learning guitar would enjoy it as it provides valuable information about guitar-playing in detail. This book will serve well in musical academies, in school libraries, and for individual learners. Moreover, the book is thoroughly edited with only a couple of mistakes. I appreciate the author’s work and rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I do not have any know-how of music. But after reading this book I was able to understand its (music) fundamentals. However, I would say some parts of the book are very technical and think the person with no previous musical background may find it difficult to comprehend. Hence, I would suggest that if you want to learn and comprehend this book professionally; you should consult with a music teacher who can elaborate the difficult parts. Nevertheless, the intermediate learners would find it an excellent piece of work to accelerate their musical skills.

Learn to Play Guitar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Hi Sara Tariq
I read the review of the book Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth. It's an interesting review about the teaching and learning of guitar for the students and teachers. Also it is helpful for the guidance of interested readers and is available at each and every time.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I always thought playing the guitar would be so fun and this book sounds like a great start. Thanks for the well laid out and informative review. Maybe guitar playing isn't has hard as I thought!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The book seems helpful for guitar learners. It even reduces the price of having to pay for a teacher. Intriguing review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 02:50 Hi Sara Tariq
I read the review of the book Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth. It's an interesting review about the teaching and learning of guitar for the students and teachers. Also it is helpful for the guidance of interested readers and is available at each and every time.
Yes, it is a very informative book for learning guitar. Thanks for your feedback!

📕📖📰📓📕
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I had reviewed this book the other month. I was thankful to the author because I had learned from it. It was easy to follow even though I don't have previous hands-on experience. While reading, I had followed the lessons in this book using my brother's guitar. That was an awesome experience of mine.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

jcoad wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 07:49 I always thought playing the guitar would be so fun and this book sounds like a great start. Thanks for the well laid out and informative review. Maybe guitar playing isn't has hard as I thought!
Thanks for your feedback, jcoad! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a valuable tool for those who are interested in learning to play guitar. I appreciate the practical aspects such as the questions with included answers and downloadable MP3 track. The stretching exercises are a unique addition, too! My son is currently learning to play guitar, so I will keep this in mind to recommend to him. Thanks for the great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Apparently this book is targeted at a narrow audience, nonetheless it is a quite a commendable effort by the author. I enjoy trivia and that could also be a motivation in wanting to read this kind of book. Nice review by the way.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Dolor wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 00:21 I had reviewed this book the other month. I was thankful to the author because I had learned from it. It was easy to follow even though I don't have previous hands-on experience. While reading, I had followed the lessons in this book using my brother's guitar. That was an awesome experience of mine.
That's very good, you did a practical with theory :).Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

stacie k wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:44 This sounds like a valuable tool for those who are interested in learning to play guitar. I appreciate the practical aspects such as the questions with included answers and downloadable MP3 track. The stretching exercises are a unique addition, too! My son is currently learning to play guitar, so I will keep this in mind to recommend to him. Thanks for the great review!
Sure, it will be helpful for your son. Thanks for your feedback! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

ea_anthony wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:46 Apparently this book is targeted at a narrow audience, nonetheless it is a quite a commendable effort by the author. I enjoy trivia and that could also be a motivation in wanting to read this kind of book. Nice review by the way.
Thanks for your feedback, ea_Anthony! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a great, straightforward book to learn guitar. Thank you for your review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a great guide for people who are looking to improve their guitar-playing skills. Thanks for the review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great resource.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”