Review by Lee_Reads -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by Lee_Reads -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Lee_Reads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven: Curse of Clansmen and Kings by Linnea Tanner is book number one in the series. This story is packed with mystical dreams, omens, curses, romance, battles and adventure. This is a series you will not want to skip.

Catrin is the daughter of King Amren and Queen Rhiannon of the Cantiaci royal family. When Catrin discovers that Roman troops are showing up on the shores of Britannia, tensions rise. King Amren meets the Roman troops and discusses the future. Marcellus Antonius is the son of Senator Lucius Antonius and great grandson of Mark Antony. Marcellus has an instant connection with Catrin. They plunge into a forbidden romance at the most inopportune time. What will happen to the royal Cantiaci family as Roman soldiers settle on their shores? What will become of Marcellus and Catrin’s relationship?

Catrin is a fascinating heroine. She is complicated, strong, and has been trained to be a warrior. But she also has a mystical side which she explores throughout the story. With her spirit-animal, the raven, by her side she is on the verge of understanding her powers.

Apollo’s Raven is a blend of fact and fiction. The author’s note at the end of the book provides more information about the historical facts. It cleared up a few questions I had about the time period. Celtic and Roman history is fascinating, and it is skillfully immersed into this story. This story has left me wanting to do more research.

The story is written showing multiple points of view. Apollo’s Raven has a complicated plot and is difficult describe in this short review. There are many characters all with conflicting view points. Being able to see those various thoughts made it interesting and easy to understand.

My favorite part about Apollo’s Raven is the mythology and the mystical elements added to the story. In this book every dream predicts the future and every bend in the clouds becomes an omen. This allows the reader to be transported back in time. And the family curse is puzzling. How will this story will end?

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There is some sexual content and violence so skip this book if that doesn’t sit well with you. Readers who enjoy romance, adventure and historical fiction will love this book. I didn’t want Apollo’s Raven to come to an end. The next book in the series is Dagger’s Destiny. I can’t wait.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Lee_Reads's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”