Review by asere_maryanne -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
asere_maryanne
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by asere_maryanne -- The Spirit of Want

Post by asere_maryanne » 27 Sep 2018, 06:06

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

REVIEW OF THE SPIRIT OF WANT

At the beginning of this story, I never had an idea that it would end the way it did. This explains the mastery behind William H. Coles writing.

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is a work of fiction that will make you want to read on uninterrupted. A.J. MacMiel is the director of an eye institute where Luke Osbourne practices. Agnes, his wife introduces Luke to their two daughters, Lucy and Elizabeth. Luke quickly hits it off with Lucy and they get married. The not-so-beautiful Elizabeth does not find her love that easily, when she does, he ends up not being the right one and Elizabeth is not willing to compromise. Even though she was lonely and really wanted to have children of her own, she knew what she wanted and she was not going to settle for anything less. Luke does his best at his job but a case which cases a conflict of interest almost ruins his career. Lucy, who is a lawyer by profession, also comes across a case which changes her life completely. Agnes does what every wife should do, be loyal to the husband and ensure that the family does not fall apart, this proves to be hard.

Lucy loves playing the victim to circumstances and also likes being pitied. The fact that she is beautiful and smart attracts most people to her and she uses this to her own advantage. On the other hand, Elizabeth, even though she is not smart, she is wise in her own ways and sees what the others don’t.

This story is extraordinary in many ways. The writer knows how to hold the audience in suspense, no matter how hard I tried to guess, the story was not predictable. For the character development, the characters true colors are gradually brought out and we get to understand why some of the characters are the way they are. William uses vivid descriptions to explain his thoughts. When I was reading the book, I often found myself thinking out loud mostly in disgust; some characters were too disturbing for me, Hower being one of them. Elizabeth turns out to be my favorite character, she is the voice of reason in the family, and she makes us see how wisdom is better than just being smart and beautiful. The book tackles themes such as love, divorce, betrayal, religion and pain.

The book contained a lot of blank pages, but apart from that there was nothing else that could not make the book a perfect read. I recommend this book to people who love romance and everyone who loves being kept in suspense. I rate the book a 4 out of 4 stars

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like asere_maryanne's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”