Review by Hannahrg -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Hannahrg
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Currently Reading: Survivor's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahrg.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by Hannahrg -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Hannahrg » 26 Sep 2018, 09:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles depicted the numerous struggles and realities faced by human beings in our daily existence. This book showed a detailed and thorough description of how life has become in a once happy family suddenly changed and thrown into a turmoil of events. The first chapter of the book started with a benefit party for purposes of raising funds for the establishment of the Eye Institute. It is an organization with the vision of helping the blind and those with sight problems. Most of the attendees were from well-to-do families and the highly intellectual society. Through this social gathering, the primary casts of the book were slowly introduced to the readers. First to be shown in the pages of the book is Luke Osbourne, the eye surgeon who is a subordinate of the man named AJ, the head and one of the top ranking officials in the hospital that Luke is working at.

As the plot slowly progressed, the sisters and daughters of AJ known as Elizabeth and Lucy were brought to life alongside with their mom Agnes. The first few chapters of the book showed and built the personalities, weaknesses, and strengths of the main cast. Furthermore, Coles narrated the story of how Luke’s life intertwined with Lucy’s in order to show the readers who the protagonists and the antagonists are. At first, I was mesmerized by the character and personality of Lucy since she was strong-headed, stubborn, very intelligent and a promising lawyer with a sure future and stable career. Elizabeth, on the other hand, seemed to be shadowing Lucy and is known to be the lesser skilled, talented and beautiful between the two. Luke, being the main character and protagonist in this book was just like me who felt a strong attraction to the role played by Lucy. However, as I read every page and chapter, I have come to like Lucy a little less upon discovering her inability to make the right decisions or even control her emotions.

It is amazing how Coles was able to bring about mixed emotions on my part, such as frustration and anticipation as to how the story would proceed. I was definitely hooked and yearned to read more. At times, I pitied Lucy and in other moments, I loathed her or the character she portrayed in this book. I started looking up to Elizabeth for solace because she kept the family together. Her decisions were perfect in such times when the people closest to her needed clarity and strength of heart. The book encompassed broad topics such as religion, sex equality, political history, conflicts in leadership, courtship, marriage, illegal acts and conflicts present as a physician and motherhood or family. Coles almost touched on every subject matter available that we as people go through in our daily living. More so, Coles also tackled issues on infidelity, adultery, unethical work behavior between a client and lawyer, twisted faith and the strong bond of sisterhood.

I was fascinated with how the author eloquently wrote about the greatest battles that we encounter most specifically, the war in our minds. Despite the fact that Lucy was very much well learned and educated, she was not able to overcome the rejection experienced from her own family. She lost herself in a whirlwind of forbidden love and being a lawyer could not really save her from herself. In the middle part of the story, I have grown to love Elizabeth. Her consistent and stable emotions helped her overcome her worst fears and weaknesses. As Lucy slowly degraded into less of a human being, Elizabeth soared like an eagle, conquered her dreams and victoriously lived her life.

This book is something that I love reading since I work in the legal field and I have family members who are in the field of medicine. I am focused on maintaining the integrity of the legal process and in doing what is just, fair and right so I was able to comprehend the depth of the lessons foretold within this story and how we could all learn from the wrong decisions made by some of the characters. There were a few grammatical errors that I noticed in some of the chapters that would not be easily noticed because such mistakes are only minor. Even so, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I was entertained and I have learned lessons that I could apply in my life as a paralegal.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Hannahrg's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”