Review by Yolimari -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Review by Yolimari -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is Caleb J. Boyer's debut novel and the first of a series of adventure books titled Island Games. Matthew and Ryan, two best friends, wake up on a sunny beach with almost no memory of their past. They only remember their names and that the last thing they were doing was playing PlayStation. They have no idea how they ended up on the beach on an island, who put them there, and why. It becomes clear that they will have to face a series of difficult challenges to survive and get off the island. Will Matthew and Ryan be able to gather the inner strength to overcome the island's challenges? Will their friendship be strong enough against adversity?

Classified under the genre of young adult fiction (YA), this book is an easy read consisting of 228 pages. Boyer was only 12 years old when he wrote the story, which is an impressive accomplishment for a kid of that age. It was also remarkable that I did not find grammatical errors in the book. That being said, readers should not compare Boyer's writing to that of adults. His writing style is innocent and simple. Sometimes, it is repetitive. For example, he repeats many times that the boys are exhausted after a challenge and thankful after finally finding food packets and bottles of water.

My favorite aspect of the book was its lessons. The most significant lesson I took from the story was about friendship. Matthew and Ryan are best friends who behave like brothers with a strong relationship. As they overcome challenges, such as escaping a shark and killing ugly beasts, they realize that doing the challenges together will increase their chances of survival. Going their separate ways, bickering, and negativity do not help their situation at all.

Another important lesson of the story was about attitude when dealing with harsh circumstances. The only thing Matthew and Ryan know is that they have to overcome challenges to survive. Just like it happens in real life, these challenges are unknown and unexpected. One moment the boys are trying to survive the scorching heat of a dessert and the next they are at the edge of an ice-cold mountain. Nevertheless, they have to keep going. Matthew perfectly says: "A warrior acts in spite of fear and is willing to do whatever it takes, even if it's hard. A warrior is bigger than any obstacle and never gives up."

I did not like two aspects of this book. First, the repetitive language was a little boring for me. However, I understand that I cannot expect Boyer to write like an experienced and adult writer. I think it is extraordinary that he wrote a good book at a young age, and I expect great stories from him as he grows as a person and a writer. Second, I think Boyer could have elaborated more on the mystery of the four quadrants at the end of the book. Perhaps, he will explain it in the future books of the series.

Without a doubt, I rate Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer 4 out of 4 stars because it is full of adventures and discusses principled life lessons. This story is perfect for kids in middle school and young adults. Lastly, I would like to see this book adapted into a film.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have read this book before, and I'm pretty impressed with the author's work. Thank you for your review! It's really great to RE-RETURN to this read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 23:57 I have read this book before, and I'm pretty impressed with the author's work. Thank you for your review! It's really great to RE-RETURN to this read.
I was impressed too. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading and commenting!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It's so impressive that the author was only 12. The book sounds interesting. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Great review! Writing such a well-crafted story at the age of twelve is impressive.
Benred
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Benred »

At the age of 12 with an interesting Novel is just beyond amazing....Nice one though💯
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Wow! 228 pages of work for a twelve-year-old writer is quite remarkable indeed. My youngest son also wrote a book when he was eleven, and this author's lesson-filled work should also be an inspiration. Thank you for your well-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I have read this book as well. It is a great book, especially considering the fact that the author was only twelve when he wrote it.

Thank you for the great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Yes, friendship was a strong theme in this book. I enjoyed the boys banter and 'fights.' Your review sums up the book well. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Thank you for a great review. Will add this to my shelf!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I agree with you that twelve-year-old Boyer did a great job of writing Island Games and that it was an enjoyable book to read. The teamwork, attitudes, and friendship were all clearly seen as the two boys were able to conquer obstacles and dangers to find their way off the island.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Oh wow! This one seems a good book for me sans the repetitive language. It is really impressive that the author wrote this book at such a young age. That he expresses such valuable nuggets of wisdom through his book makes it all the more interesting. Thanks for the review!
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 00:10 It's so impressive that the author was only 12. The book sounds interesting. Thank you for the review!
Amazing, right! He also had the support of his parents, which was very important. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 11:56 Great review! Writing such a well-crafted story at the age of twelve is impressive.
Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”