Review by Fuzaila -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Review by Fuzaila -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Fu Zaila »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco is a young adult fantasy fiction. It is the first book in a series of five installments.

Azmantium is an alternate universe where the plants are blue instead of lush green. There are two suns, not one. The sky is lilac-colored, and the sea is a shade of green. The residents of Azmantium are typically people born with magical powers they utilize to secure their way in life.

Larissa feels sad to leave her foster mother Yelena and her sisters, but she is excited to be tested for her power and finally go to Lantis School of Magic. It is a boarding school for children to develop their magical abilities and learn to properly control their powers. On her first day, she encounters Leyla, who fortunately happens to be the daughter of Yelena’s longtime friends. They make two other friends, Anna and Sophia and manage to nettle Jayla, the popular mean girl at their school. Lara also captures the attention of Xan, the Prince, who happens to be Jayla’s friend. Together with Leyla and her friends, Lara tries to make the most of the school year, by sneaking around at night, trying to discover secret passages and learning new spells. But there is a huge secret she isn’t aware of, which might be dangerous for her and the magical world of Azmantium. In the present circumstances, Lara promptly has to come to terms with her new identity and needs to use it to save her world.

Ela Lourenco’s writing style was really engaging and carefree. The dialogue was pretty funny at times, and she really knows how to hook her readers with elaborate descriptions of her setting. I loved the fantasy world she has created. Though it was described well, it wasn’t unique. It felt like most of the plot points were borrowed from other popular mainstream books like Harry Potter and Divergent. For example, testing for uncanny abilities and discovering Lara was different than the rest, was pretty much like Divergent. Lantis School of Magic and some of the events that take place there felt like parts of Harry Potter. But the truly striking bit of the book was the friendship. I loved Lara, Leyla, Anna and Sophia, and their bonding, which was unique and heartfelt. I also loved the side characters like Yelena, Arwen, and Healer Thomas.

One of my biggest problems with the book was that it lacked a convincing story. The book was predominantly a set-up for the upcoming book. There’s a little bit of world-building, but that’s merely it. Nothing of much significance happens in the story. Given the title and the cover, the climax was eminently predictable. Above all, Lara’s character was a Mary Sue. She was an innocent, friendly girl with no flaws, it felt a bit unrealistic. I was annoyed by the number of times Lara pretended to be unaware of her own brilliance. There was a trivial romantic development, but it suited the story.

Even though the writing was effective, the book could have implemented another round of editing. There were many cases of missing punctuations and bad grammar. It wasn’t distracting, but it was there. I enjoyed reading the book and the ending left me curious, hence I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I refrain from giving it a perfect score due to the grammatical errors and the lack of a compelling plot. If you are looking for a simple fantasy with strong friendships, you would love this book. It is more aimed at teens and pre-teens though, so older audiences may not find it amusing.

Dragon Born
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fuzaila's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I liked this book too. I've been trying to find the others on here but haven't seen them yet. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Lara's character seems to be a little too tactless for me. Otherwise, I might just have tried this book.

You've done great justice with the review. So good!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I am usually interested in books like this so I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for a great review!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This sounds like a beautiful world, the lilac sky and green sea, I'd love to have multiple suns or moons. I find myself consistently finding similar elements of stories or movies and comparing them. You can make a good story with multiple sources of inspiration but at times it can feel creatively bankrupt.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I have also read and reviewed this book. It was enjoyable and has a lot of potential, but just like you, I didn't give it a perfect rating due to being poorly edited. Enchanting review!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Thanks for your honest review The book should receive additional editing before it can get a higher rating.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

One of my biggest problems with the book was that it lacked a convincing story. The book was predominantly a set-up for the upcoming book. There’s a little bit of world-building, but that’s merely it. Nothing of much significance happens in the story. Given the title and the cover, the climax was eminently predictable. Above all, Lara’s character was a Mary Sue. She was an innocent, friendly girl with no flaws, it felt a bit unrealistic. I was annoyed by the number of times Lara pretended to be unaware of her own brilliance. There was a trivial romantic development, but it suited the story.

This sounds like a fun read, but a bit derivative. When my son was young, we listened to a lot of Young Adult audio books and he liked these fantasy stories. They do have a lot of similarities. When we would find a really original series, we would stick with it.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Thanks for the interesting review. I'm a fan of YA fiction, Harry Potter, and Divergent. This sounds perfect for me.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Based on your review, it sounds like the author crafted a beautiful world, but is lacking in character development. I'm glad I read your review before coming across this book. I think I'll take a pass on reading this one. Thanks for the great review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a good middle-grade book. The friendship between the girls is incredibly important for girls that age to see and appreciate. (Note that in both of the books you compare it to - Harry Potter and Divergent, we see no real female/female friendships.) And because of that, I could probably forgive all the other flaws.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”