Review by sanjus -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One cannot always choose a book only by just reading its title, and this became true for me when initially, I was avoiding this good book only due to its title. This book is written for kids aged between three and eight years. Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley is a nicely crafted book that is not only dedicated to educating the children to maintain their hygiene but also to amuse them. The plot in this book revolves around Sigfried, a kid who is trying desperately to find out why his book smells unpleasant so much.

Every page of this book is having quite humorous, eye-catching cartoons, and along with that a couple of sentences that give the good message to children with a lot of amusement. Not only the socks but also Len Foley gives the list of other things, which smell bad and looks disgusting, especially when some food spilled accidentally on the book and not cleaned, and a long time has passed after that. The book illustrates the different smells of the socks and tells that the smell of the socks is varying from person to person. Though this book contains very few sentences, the author leaves it to the reader to imagine how the reader would feel by being in that situation.

I like the good drawings of the cartoons with the good choice of the color palette, which grabs the attention of kids, and in the meanwhile make them read the hilarious lines near the pictures to make them laugh as well as learn. Children learn about the things quickly when they enjoy it and it this case in this book where the enjoyment is given by good pictures and funny writing style.

There is nothing for me to dislike in this book, but the only thing is that it was too short to read and I finished reading the complete book in less than half an hour. I think the author could have added few more examples taking into consideration about the lifestyles in different cultures and societies, and that could have made this book much better and also likable by kids from many other cultural background and societies. This book should be appealing to all the kids and adults, and I don’t feel it will not appeal to anybody. The flow of the book was good, and there were no grammatical errors.

Looking at the overall experience of reading the book and the valuable message it can give to the audience about good keeping good hygiene, I rate this book all the 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to everyone from kids to caregivers and even for those audiences who hate the disgusting smell of the socks because it may change their perception about the smelly socks as in case of mine. I think there is nobody to whom I will not recommend this book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sanjus's review? Post a comment saying so!
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I don't really like smells but your perspective about this book is refreshing. Awesome review.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I like that the book teaches the importance of hygiene. Insightful review.
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

I have read and no doubt it is an interesting one. The book fails to focus on the smelly socks as it starts with a smelly book. Nice review.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have also reviewed Sigfried's smelly socks and my review has been published. although we have the same plotline there is a little bit of difference because you have given the reason to select this book and thereby you have justified it. thanks for your good review. I liked it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

My daughters are older, but they could use the message of this book. :lol2: :lol2:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This book reminded me of an episode of the famous tv series, Round the Twist. Thanks for the comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love the sound of this book....it clearly offers a vivid description of smelly sock syndrome, with colour, humour etc. All it needs now is for books to smell (or perhaps not in this case)?!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Despite the connotations and allusions derivable from this piece's cover, title, and theme, it's lessons and insights are noteworthy. Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

I really enjoyed your review Sanjus. Any parent hoping to find out about the book would be better informed. Great job on this delightful book by Len Foley. I did enjoy reading the book too.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

sanjus wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 09:53 I like the good drawings of the cartoons with the good choice of the color palette, which grabs the attention of kids, and in the meanwhile make them read the hilarious lines near the pictures to make them laugh as well as learn.
I also liked that about the book... The author is really creative.
Nice review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Daniel_ wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 01:01
sanjus wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 09:53 I like the good drawings of the cartoons with the good choice of the color palette, which grabs the attention of kids, and in the meanwhile make them read the hilarious lines near the pictures to make them laugh as well as learn.
I also liked that about the book... The author is really creative.
Nice review!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”