Review by Chipochashe -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Review by Chipochashe -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Chipochashe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is a sci-fi thriller. Trey is a brilliant and ambitious scientist who makes a much sought after invention. This makes him the target of a terrorist organization. He is saved from capture by a beautiful biker named Sonya who is looking for a purpose in life. The duo is hunted by the terrorist organization, which calls itself Chrome Falcon, while Sonya also runs from her past. The two are also chased by law enforcement, thus they have no one to turn to, other than each other. They go through a lot of experiences together.

The author narrates the story for the reader. The technology is not as amazing as one would expect in a sci-fi. There are still some "out of this world" inventions that would intrigue the reader. The presence of real technology that the reader is familiar with helps to make the story somewhat believable. The author's attempt to base the characters on their Christianity, not only failed to deepen the characters, but also seems to sell the religion short of its values. It is my opinion that many Christians would feel not well represented in this story.

It is refreshing to have a strong female character. Sonya is strong, both emotionally and physically. She can stand for, and by, herself. Trey is a nerd, but he is in no way intimidated by Sonya's strength, instead he respects her and looks up to her in many ways. It is quite an interesting dynamic. Sonya is his "knight in shining armour". This is a great twist from the traditional "damsel in distress" setup. The reader is also introduced to another strong female leader in the form of the FBI agent handling Trey's case.

I would rate this book, Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider, 2 out of 4 stars. I noticed only one spelling error. The story failed to captivate me. I felt that the characters were too shallow. The pacing was also too slow. The progression towards the end was too convenient and did not seem realistic enough to be believable. The storyline itself is interesting and the author's style is light and easy to follow.

This book is suitable for young adults. Sci-fi and crime-drama fans may want to give it a try. There is a lot of violence and some bad language and thus it may not be suitable for children. It's a fair read, well written and edited, and may be captivating to some readers. I recommend to give it a try.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chipochashe's review? Post a comment saying so!
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

There appears to be mixed reviews on this book. I'm on the fence at this point. I think for a sci-fi, I would be disappointed not to have a lot of gadgets that rival James Bond, but at the same time, I am curious as to how the religious element adds or subtracts to the story.

I'm going to read a few more reviews before the jury returns.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I read this book as well and had quite a few issues with the plot, some of which you mentioned above. I can see what the author was going for, but it was not always well-executed unfortunately.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 12:42 There appears to be mixed reviews on this book. I'm on the fence at this point. I think for a sci-fi, I would be disappointed not to have a lot of gadgets that rival James Bond, but at the same time, I am curious as to how the religious element adds or subtracts to the story.

I'm going to read a few more reviews before the jury returns.
Thanks for the comment. I am also on the fence concerning this book. Let me know how you feel about it if you do get around to reading it.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 12:09 I read this book as well and had quite a few issues with the plot, some of which you mentioned above. I can see what the author was going for, but it was not always well-executed unfortunately.
Good to know that I am not the only one who felt that way. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”