Review by bookiegalke -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
bookiegalke
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by bookiegalke -- One Way or Another

Post by bookiegalke » 22 Sep 2018, 13:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One way or another: A friends to lovers contemporary romance by Mary J Williams is the first installment of the sister’s quartet love story series. This first installment follows the love story of One Calder Benedict and Adam stone. She has been hurt before so she is doubtful of Adam’s intention with her. Does he want to be with her because of her family name or is he different from all the others? Can she learn to love again?

Calder Benedict is a woman with a strong will. Lucky for her, she was born in a wealthy family. However, she and her sisters have different fathers. Their mother was not the kind that kept her relationships with any of their fathers. Despite having different fathers, the sisters (Calder, Bryce, Destry and Andi) share a cordial relationship. Calder is determined to turn her charity into a successful organization. Her goal is to lend a helping hand to as many under-privileged people as possible.

Adam Stone’s childhood was completely different from Calder’s. He knew no lavish lifestyle as a child. His single mother struggled to raise and educate him on her own. He eventually made it in life and can now afford to live a good life. Their first encounter with one another was tense and one that took place under unexpected circumstances. From this first encounter, Adam questions Calder’s taste in men. Consequently, when Calder helps Adam come to the aid of his ex, she is puzzled too about his choice of women.

Mary’s writing style is admirable. The bond between the four sisters keeps the story’s flame burning. That Mary employs the sister’s quartet approach to write a love story series, is admirable to me. The bond between the sisters is something I can relate to. Calder and Adam’s love story is one that leaves a unique kind of impression on the reader. The fact that they are brought together through the charity organization that Calder runs provides a good point of departure for the story. Like any other romance genre story, this one too is rife with emotions. The characters in the story are sure to steal the heart of any reader.

Calder’s mother was a character that left me wondering whether she did not get tired of being in so many relationships. I would have preferred if she was the one offering advice to her daughters. But Mary’s choice to write her in that way was tactical. It provided a contrast between the women that I ended up appreciating in the end. The development of the story’s plot is consistent and the language used is not too complex. The writer has even gone as far as to disclose the titles to the other subsequent series which was good. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance genres. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookiegalke's review? Post a comment saying so!
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”