Review by Debjani Ghosh -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Debjani Ghosh -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s the year 1894 in California of an alternate universe. Juanita, a fifteen-year-old mystic - one of the chosen few who can communicate with the dead - receives a vision of an airship whose long-deceased commander enjoins her to prevent California’s thrown-away people from boarding trains to an asylum. Further, the asylum’s head is planning murder to decrease the inmate population. Will Juanita be able to protect these innocent lives without suffering a tragedy herself? Moreover, will she be able to do so without snuffing out lives?

The Engine Woman’s Light by Laurel Anne Hill is an adventurous coming-of-age novel that starts beautifully with a lot of potential. Readers get a tantalizing teaser of magic and spirits and whatnot in an alternate universe. Sadly, this potential is not fully realized. For starters, the background information is not clearly spelled out in the text. I could not fathom what circumstances prompted banishment of weak and unwanted people to an asylum. Wasn’t there any government to prevent all of this? If no, why? Had anarchy set in? Nothing concrete was ever mentioned throughout the book.

The author creates a half-baked world of fantasy which leaves the readers frustrated. When an author is creating a whole new world, she must provide a proper structure to support it. In my opinion, it would have helped if Hill had included snippets of the asylum, the conditions of the general populace or the thought process of the asylum director himself. Creation of a fantasy world requires meticulous attention to detail which I did not observe here. Further, such type of stories lends unimaginable freedom to the author because she can create or bend the rules according to her will. Unfortunately, I could find no such grandiosity in this book.

Hill uses flowery language which is good when describing people or landscapes but falls flat on its face when used to describe action scenes. For instance, the first train wreck was not described properly. I could not even understand that a train wreck had occurred until Juanita said it out loud.

On top of this, the book has an uneven pace. It is gripping at the beginning, slacks thereafter and then at the middle, becomes captivating as Juanita, along with her accomplices, plans to carry out her mission. But as soon as the tale reaches the execution part, it becomes boring again. This is because most of the mission involves steam locomotives and the lingo used to describe them went over my head. So, it was difficult for me to visualize the scenes involving trains and the book has many such scenes. I often felt like groping in the dark when I was reading these passages. I felt that a glossary of the different terms used should have been provided to ease the transition of a novice reader into this book’s world.

There is a particularly disturbing and abusive relationship portrayed here which I found difficult to digest since the victim had acted quite bravely throughout the book. Hence, the victim’s meek endurance of this torture baffled me. Besides, so many questions remained unanswered which made the dénouement hard to accept. It has a satisfying end but not all the loose ends are tied up.

What I liked about the book were the spirits and their different antics. In addition, the vivid descriptions of the landscape, as well as the numerous persons Juanita encounters on her journey coupled with her interactions with her phantom ancestors are the highlights of this book. Another redeeming facet of this book is a strong female protagonist. After such a long time, I have had the pleasure to meet a brave girl who persevered through all odds to accomplish her mission and not for once, did she curl up in a ball at the sight of distress. She will serve as an inspiration to many. Almost all the characters are gray – good characters do bad things; despicable people do good things so that you are compelled to feel at least a bit for them. Besides, the narrative has an unhurried pace which allows for character development but will deter action buffs from liking this book.

It is not a run-of-the-mill novel since it straddles the genres of steampunk and alternate universe, an unheard-of combination. With well fleshed out characters and beautiful descriptions of the landscapes, you can check out this book provided the lack of a credible backstory does not bother you nor do you mind the excessive locomotive jargon. This book is professionally edited since I could not find a single error. In the light of the above points stated, I rate it a 3 out of 4. Young readers should be aware that it contains violence, sexual abuse, and rape as well.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Debjani Ghosh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

"...communicate with the dead..." I'm sold to this part of review because Im into thag kind of stuff. Thanks for the candid review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 03:58 "...communicate with the dead..." I'm sold to this part of review because Im into thag kind of stuff. Thanks for the candid review.
Thanks for commenting.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I've had the opportunity to read/review this book, too. Although it was some time ago, I don't remember being bothered by the lack of a backstory. I do, however, agree with your points about the vivid description of sights and places as well as the depictions of violence and abuse in the story. It's been very interesting to read what you thought about this book. Great review!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

inaramid wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 06:50 I've had the opportunity to read/review this book, too. Although it was some time ago, I don't remember being bothered by the lack of a backstory. I do, however, agree with your points about the vivid description of sights and places as well as the depictions of violence and abuse in the story. It's been very interesting to read what you thought about this book. Great review!
Thanks for commenting!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

There are so many things wrong with this book that I would never read it. The weird premise, abusive relationship, and the undeveloped world don't sound appealing to me, so I will pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

melissy370 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 15:45 There are so many things wrong with this book that I would never read it. The weird premise, abusive relationship, and the undeveloped world don't sound appealing to me, so I will pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
When I picked it up, the summary of the book promised a fascinating read. Sadly, i was disappointed. Thanks for stopping by!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I don't know if I will read this one. You mention a few problems (like the train wreck) that would irritate me while reading. But thank you for your honest review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I loved your review and still think I should not have read it. You know why? I am also reading this book now. But I could not have expressed how I feel about it better than you! I started the book with a high expectation and it proved disappointing in so many aspects! Just like you, I had no idea when the first derailment occurred. The description is getting on my nerves at certain points. Also, I missed any real foundation for this story, the author withholds so many details! Anyways, thanks for your honest review. Good to know I am not the only one who's feeling this way about " The Engine Woman's Light"!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

JR Mercier wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 02:43 I don't know if I will read this one. You mention a few problems (like the train wreck) that would irritate me while reading. But thank you for your honest review.
Thanks for commenting!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Shrabastee wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 03:07 I loved your review and still think I should not have read it. You know why? I am also reading this book now. But I could not have expressed how I feel about it better than you! I started the book with a high expectation and it proved disappointing in so many aspects! Just like you, I had no idea when the first derailment occurred. The description is getting on my nerves at certain points. Also, I missed any real foundation for this story, the author withholds so many details! Anyways, thanks for your honest review. Good to know I am not the only one who's feeling this way about " The Engine Woman's Light"!
I am also relieved to find out that I am not alone in feeling disappointed after reading this book. Thanks for commenting!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I just love the term "steampunk" as I had never heard of it until I starting reading reviews of this book. This books sounds like it has quite a bit going on but not much holding it together to make sense. I think I am going to have my first steampunk experience with a different book. Thanks for the great review!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

jcoad wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 06:51 I just love the term "steampunk" as I had never heard of it until I starting reading reviews of this book. This books sounds like it has quite a bit going on but not much holding it together to make sense. I think I am going to have my first steampunk experience with a different book. Thanks for the great review!
I was drawn to this book because it belonged to the genre of steampunk but the author could have done much better. Thanks for commenting!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It sounds a bit inconsistent and having to have a character shout ’we’ve had a train crash’ in order to know it sounds like something is a bit lacking.
Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 10:22 It sounds a bit inconsistent and having to have a character shout ’we’ve had a train crash’ in order to know it sounds like something is a bit lacking.
Great review.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”