Review by Sanyesto -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sanyesto
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by Sanyesto -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto » 22 Sep 2018, 07:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having 464 pages and published in June 2015, 30th Century: Escape is the first book in the 30th Century Trilogy written by Mark Kingston Levin. This is a book that can be categorized as a science fiction, fantasy, and an erotic fiction. The main focus of this book is on Captain Jennifer Hero. The humans in the 30th century were referred to as the Naturals. However, there also existed genetically modified beings, the Syndos, who lacked moral direction. Syndos were geared towards eliminating the human race with an aim of dominating the earth. Zexton Ho, Jennifer Hero’s partner creates a trans-time machine that Hero and her trans-time team use to travel back in the 27th century.

Hero believes that by traveling to the 27th century, they will have the opportunity to alter the behavior of Syndos by making them develop morally so that they’ll no longer attempt to wipe out the Naturals in the 30th century. Jennifer Hero is a member of the Secret Society in which they have a secret mission of correcting the genetic makeup of Syndos. Zexton was among the victims of elimination operation being conducted by the Syndos. This loss affects Jennifer a big deal. The impact of losing her partner makes Jennifer leave her team in the 27th century while she travels to the 21st century to try to recollect herself back together. In the 21st century, she arrives in the island of Morura where she is stuck and confused before Marty Zitonic comes to her aid. Will she keep track of her trans-time while in Morura? Will she gain her previous self-identity?

This is a story that flows smoothly from the beginning to the end as the storyline was easy to follow. Character development was also thorough since the main character was fully described and it was easy to identify with her throughout the book. It is clear that Jennifer Hero is depicted as a strong and courageous woman since she had the knack to go back in time in order to save the world from the Syndos menace. She doesn’t let the culture shock to be the barrier to saving the world.

There are several themes which are incorporated in this novel. They include love, sexuality, strength, and even courage. Love and sexuality, however, stand out as they are thoroughly developed by the author through the character of Jennifer hero. This is evident when Jennifer meets Marty and they help each other by redefining the meaning of relationships.

The author also depicts his knowledge in science and archeology when he narrates to us Jennifer Hero’s pursuit of dark matter. The author also gives good details about the islands where Jennifer settles and the culture of the people that resided there several years back. While the story was flowing freely from the start, it seemed to lose its layout somewhere in the middle. This is because I was confused on final destination since its forward progress was slow and with little action. Nevertheless, the writer gained momentum again towards the end and summed up the storyline in a unique way that is satisfying.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars while I enjoyed reading more on Jennifer’s island encounters the writer seem to be biased against the trans-time team. I would love to know more about the progress of the trans-time team but this was not provided, making the book to leave some questions in my mind. Questions whose answers I never got. This is a book I would recommend to those who love to read the history and culture of other places. Being entrapped with erotic content, I would also recommend it to mature people who love a combination of time traveling, science fiction, and erotic fiction.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sanyesto's review? Post a comment saying so!

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 16 Oct 2018, 16:03

This is a story that flows smoothly from the beginning to the end as the storyline was easy to follow. Character development was also thorough since the main character was fully described and it was easy to identify with her throughout the book. It is clear that Jennifer Hero is depicted as a strong and courageous woman since she had the knack to go back in time in order to save the world from the Syndos menace. She doesn’t let the culture shock to be the barrier to saving the world.
Although I have a review of the same books published in the list of my reviews but upon following your review it seems to look like
You have explained well. Thanks for a great review.

Espie
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 03 Dec 2018, 21:51

Doing what's right is often the harder and more tedious thing to do, and yet it doesn't mean we should opt for a different path. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Discovering Your Spiritual DNA
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: The Transformation of a Lost Soul (second edition) by Forrest J. Beverly Sr.

Post by LV2R » 31 Dec 2018, 23:22

Having read the sample, the question did come to my mind if Jennifer Hero would keep track of the trans-time team that was going to try and change the genetic makeup of the Syndos to protect the human race. I think if the book did not give some answers on that issue, that I would be fairly disappointed. It would be interesting to read about Jennifer's culture shock to go back to the 21st century from the 30th century.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”