Review by Mo101788 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mo101788
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mo101788.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Review by Mo101788 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Mo101788 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner is a page-turning mythological romance set in 24 AD. Catrin a Celtic princess and daughter of Amren, King of the Celtic tribes in Britannia, is born with a destiny. When King Amren kills his wife Rhan, the former queen and mother of Catrin's evil half-brother Marrock, for plotting against him she leaves him with a curse that will befall on his youngest daughter, Catrin. The curse is a stipulation for the king beheading her, his youngest daughter will have mystical powers through a raven and will join her half-brother Marrock to take down the king’s empire to rule it themselves. Unfortunately for the former queen, Catrin is a kind-hearted girl who adores her family and her kingdom and will fight to the death for them.

When the Roman’s come to Britannia to have council with the king about uniting with his son Marrock instead of Amren they decide to take the negotiation to the Roman camp to reach an agreement. Amren then decides to keep Lucius’ son Marcellus at the castle as a hostage to ensure no harm comes to him during the negotiations. During Marcellus’s stay with Catrin as his guide, he and Catrin become entranced with each other and their forbidden love is not something to mess with. While Catrin battles with her love for Marcellus, her newfound powers and the never-ending feeling of disaster on its way, she is forced to make some dire choices to overcome these obstacles. Can Catrin break the curse and still have the love of her life or must she sacrifice one for the other?

I cannot express the gratitude I have for Linnea Tanner for this outstanding creation. I am a huge fan of romance and mythology so mixing the two was the perfect concoction for me. I started the book and did not put it down unless I had to, I did have to stop while I was at work but I read through every lunch break. There is nothing I would change in this story except I wish I didn’t have to wait for the sequel.

Tanner did an excellent job creating her characters and giving each of them enough recognition to help me connect with them and understand the vital roles they played. I had a special spot for all of them. I instantly fell in love with Catrin the sweet-tempered but powerful warrior princess that carried the whole world on her shoulders. I did, however, find myself disliking her mother Queen Rhiannon for her distrustful ways and ugliness towards Catrin. Throughout the book, I kept hoping the queen would see the error in her ways and even caught myself a couple times from screaming at her in the middle of the night as I was reading.

Overall, I rate Apollo’s Raven 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few grammatical errors and if there were more I was so engrossed in the story that I did not notice them. There were a couple scenes that included sexual content and some violence so I would recommend this book to adults who have a love for mythology and historical romance. I have no negative feedback or comments for this book and I cannot wait for the next one.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Mo101788's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”