Review by Ma Cheryll -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Ma Cheryll -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Ma Cheryll »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill is one great coming-of-age novel, I should say. Featuring a young Latina heroine in a life-saving mission and a plot set in the early nineteenth-century California, the book speaks of a tale full of mysticism, showing characters, our main girl, Juanita and her great-grandparents included, talking to spirits of people who have long passed, to either seek guidance or ask them for instructions. Written by the award-winning author, Laurel Anne Hill, this book has received the 2017 Independent Press Award and the National Indie Excellence Award (Steampunk Category), as well as a “Kirkus Star” with a Kirkus listing as one of the top 100 Indie books of 2017 and one of the top six (6) Indie teen books at that. More over, the San Francisco Book Festival declared this book the winner in Science Fiction and the runner-up in Young Adult.

The book opens up with an old woman named Zetta, trying to escape from an asylum-bound train, with a foundling, a baby girl, who, she later knew, was truly her great-granddaughter, thanks to her late husband, Javier, who told her the truth. But she had to be careful not to let anyone know that she’s being guided by her late husband’s ghost. In her death bed, she has named her Juanita Elise Jame-Navarro. Fast-forwarding 15 years later, we'll see her living peacefully in the village of Promise, a sanctuary for the lost, the abandoned, and the unwanted. At this very young age Juanita functioned as a mystic traveler, serving as Promise’s ties to all other spirits that roam the earth, with a tall mission to save the abandoned children, the lepers and the elderly, the so-called "thrown people", from the fate of the asylum, from the hands of the hated Mendoza Family. Despite her hardships, our heroine grew up under the love and guidance of her adoptive parents and friends, her mentor, and her devoted lover. Even her Navarro ancestors reach out to her from beyond the grave. The spirits linger around her, manifesting themselves in different forms, possessing anything they could possess, at times, Juanita herself.

The Engine Woman’s Light poses a lot of twists and turns in its story, showing how our young heroine, Juanita, being led by the spirit of her ancestors, adapts to a life that causes her to mature faster than she ought to. With such great mission in her hands, she's willing to give everything, even her own life. In today's time and age, we can see smart young ladies like Juanita, who are willing to do everything for their family and for people they truly care for. Author Laurel, in the richness of her imagination, created characters significant enough to demand an audience of their own, although they're all connected to our main girl, Juanita. I somehow see this connection Juanita has with the spirits, even the spirits of her ancestors, as the "light" being pertained to in the book's title, as our heroine uses this connection to seek guidance. This inspiration must have come from her great love and respect for her deceased husband and her great-grandmother, and her eagerness to still have a way to communicate with them. Although this book is considered fiction, she created a story that dwells into controversial truths, stories of harassment and abuse, wherein those who are weak are being ruled by the strong. These are stories that some, if not all of us, can relate to, and, with God's divine help, will be able to overcome victoriously. There are stories of love, lust and sexual relations between men too, but I'm relieved to see that there are no wild scenes being presented here. Last but not the least, of course, we can not deny the fact that there is what we call corruption of the innocent, especially where Juanita is involved. However, the author maintained a good control over her storyline and that's one of the reasons why this book is considered great!

Author Laurel Anne Hill truly poses a superb talent in writing, having her readers experience exactly what she writes. There were even times when readers would actually smell, taste and see the visions or images that she depicts in the story, her writing admittedly arouses the senses. However, I think this book is a little too lengthy, that the story tends to drag a bit. And because it touches on some quite mature topics, like sexual intimacy and that May-December affair, to say the least, I may not count this as a book for the really Young Adults but rather for the more matured Young Adult readers, identifying their age around 18-28 years old and up, coming from the higher tip of Generation Z and more from Generation Y.

I rate The Engine Woman's Light 3 out of 4 stars. Although it was well-written and seemed to have undergone a strict grammar check, it failed to present us with a complete Table of Contents with the complete list of chapters and page numbers where readers can find them. The book also has two (2) blank pages before and after the list of Journals, I guess those are the pages intended for the Table of Contents. People who are mature enough to digest the complexity of the story and who love fictional novels that is of a steampunk genre, a sci-fi and fantasy story, will truly appreciate reading this book.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ma Cheryll's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for your thorough review. The plot seems complicated, with a lot going on. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 09:31 Thanks for your thorough review. The plot seems complicated, with a lot going on. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.
Hi @Cotwani♥️Yes, it might seem complicated, with a lot of twists and turns, and a bit lengthy as well, but once you got hold of what the story is about, i’m sure you’d see just how inspiring this book is too. Thanks for visiting and for being my very first commentator :tiphat: Best regards!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I love this read, and it is a read that I don't mind revisiting again. I'm very happy with a complex plot, it makes me think, and this certainly provided a wild-ride experience to me. Thank you for your review! But I rate this read 4 stars because it deserves better.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I am not sure about reading this book after reading your review from all the talking to spirits and all, but I am glad that the author writes well to experience the scenes described.
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 22:31 I love this read, and it is a read that I don't mind revisiting again. I'm very happy with a complex plot, it makes me think, and this certainly provided a wild-ride experience to me. Thank you for your review! But I rate this read 4 stars because it deserves better.
Thanks @Sahani Nimandra🙏Wow! I'm so glad to know that you liked it too :D yes I agree that it deserves better, and I would've given it 4 stars as well if not for the missing Table of Contents and the 2 blank pages, and because I find it a bit long, but other than that, i think it's perfect too❤️ Thanks again for dropping by and leaving me this wonderful comment :tiphat: Best regards!
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

LV2R wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 00:48 I am not sure about reading this book after reading your review from all the talking to spirits and all, but I am glad that the author writes well to experience the scenes described.
That's exactly how I felt too, when I first saw this book @LV2R :techie-reference: I even thought that I won't be able to finish it :doh: but as I progress in my reading, I can see myself being drawn to the story, which truly speaks about a young woman's bravery and heroism and her determination to help others, while, at the same time, desiring a better life for her as well. Through this read, I'm reminded also of how great a grandparent's love is, and how blessed my son is to still have his grandparents, my mom and dad, with him, loving and supporting him through their prayers and guidance, up to this time. I'm so sure you'd get to see these things too😍 Thank you for taking time to read my review and comment :tiphat: God bless!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I too read and reviewed this book. I agree with you that despite having a rich imagination, the author failed to realize it fully plus the story did tend to drag sometimes.
. This inspiration must have come from her great love and respect for her deceased husband and her great-grandmother,
Are you talking about Juanita here or the author? I don't remember Juanita's husband being dead.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love that the heroine is Latina like me! Yay! I have read very few good books with Latino protagonist, and they’re usually about more modern hardships.
However, I don’t understand why this is labeled science fiction. I get that Americans might see the whole "spirit guide" as fantastic and wild but for many Latinamerican cultures (including my country) the deceased ones are very much real and part of our daily lives. We even have a Day of the Dead festivity (as seen in Disney’s movie Coco). Of course, I understand my culture is different than yours, but this is just my two cents.
I’m glad you enjoyed the book and wrote such an analytical review. Thanks! I’ll definitely read it.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

It's interesting that Juanita is led by spirits on her hero's journey. The fact that Zetta managed to get her to a loving family despite the hardships is impressive. I'm thinking Zetta is one of the spirits guiding Juanita as she grows older.
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 19:41 I love that the heroine is Latina like me! Yay! I have read very few good books with Latino protagonist, and they’re usually about more modern hardships.
However, I don’t understand why this is labeled science fiction. I get that Americans might see the whole "spirit guide" as fantastic and wild but for many Latinamerican cultures (including my country) the deceased ones are very much real and part of our daily lives. We even have a Day of the Dead festivity (as seen in Disney’s movie Coco). Of course, I understand my culture is different than yours, but this is just my two cents.
I’m glad you enjoyed the book and wrote such an analytical review. Thanks! I’ll definitely read it.
Thanks @Lunastella♥️Yay🙌and I’m sure you’re just as brave and as determined as our Latina heroine, Juanita, is♥️Happy to know you enjoyed reading my review🤗Oh you mean the ScI-Fi label, I thought you were talking about its Young Adult Genre label. I agree with you👍😃they must’ve based it on popular belief when they declared this book the winner in Science Fiction and runner-up in the Young Adult Category🏆🥇Thanks for your wonderful comment and for sharing your very loving culture :tiphat: Disney’s Coco is a big hit here in the Philippines too♥️we Filipinos celebrate All Souls’ Day as well every November, it’s a special day wherein we remember our dear Family members who’ve long gone🙏Again, thanks @Lunastella, it’s so nice to have you here dear! God bless you even more♥️🏡
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 19:41 I love that the heroine is Latina like me! Yay! I have read very few good books with Latino protagonist, and they’re usually about more modern hardships.
Thanks @Lunastella♥️Yay🙌and I’m sure you’re just as brave and as determined as our Latina heroine, Juanita, is♥️Happy to know you enjoyed reading my review🤗Oh you mean the ScI-Fi label, I thought you were talking about its Young Adult Genre label. I agree with you👍😃they must’ve based it on popular belief when they declared this book the winner in Science Fiction and runner-up in the Young Adult Category🏆🥇Thanks for your wonderful comment and for sharing your very loving culture :tiphat: Disney’s Coco is a big hit here in the Philippines too♥️we Filipinos celebrate All Souls’ Day as well every November, it’s a special day wherein we remember our dear Family members who’ve long gone🙏Again, thanks @Lunastella, it’s so nice to have you here dear! God bless you even more♥️🏡
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 02:05 I too read and reviewed this book. I agree with you that despite having a rich imagination, the author failed to realize it fully plus the story did tend to drag sometimes.
. This inspiration must have come from her great love and respect for her deceased husband and her great-grandmother,
Are you talking about Juanita here or the author? I don't remember Juanita's husband being dead.
Thanks for agreeing @Debjani Ghosh♥️Glad to know you have read and reviewed this book too👍 Oh, that part of the 3rd paragraph of my review, I’m not talking about Juanita here, rather, I was commending Author Laurel Anne Hill, on how rich her imagination was to create such significant characters. I was talking about how our dear author must have been inspired by her great love and respect for her deceased husband and her great-grandmother as she has expressed it in the book’s Dedication♥️
Thank you so much for taking time to read and comnent :tiphat: Best regards!
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Oulababe wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:16 It's interesting that Juanita is led by spirits on her hero's journey. The fact that Zetta managed to get her to a loving family despite the hardships is impressive. I'm thinking Zetta is one of the spirits guiding Juanita as she grows older.
Glad to know you find this book interesting and impressive @Oulababe♥️Yes! Juanita’s great-grandmother Zetta’s spirit as well as her great-grandfather Javier’s spirit never left her side all throughout her life-saving mission’s journey. They stayed on to give her guidance and instructions♥️ Thanks for dropping by and commenting :tiphat: Best regards!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I'm torn on this book. I do like the term "steampunk". This just seems to have a lot going on for me and I'm not sure I get it after reading multiple reviews. Thanks for the thorough review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”