Review by Cotwani -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Review by Cotwani -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Cotwani wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:35 The elephant in the room for me, however, was the derogatory way in which women were described in the book. Older women who happened not to be in a relationship were often portrayed as vain, lonely, unfulfilled, and desperate pickups. I immensely hated this sexism and degradation of women in. In addition, the private investigator’s occasionally unexplained ‘leads’ that took her right where McDowell was, made the hunt appear so simple. Neither was she professional in carrying out her investigations. You will agree with me that only an amateur would barge into a new town and start showing pictures of the hunted before first lying low and secretly studying the residents. It did not help that she came highly recommended! I also found the ending of the book to be a bit rushed.
I’m currently reading this book. At least I’m trying... but the issue you mention here is making it unbearable for me. The whole narrative is sexist and, at least for me, Hiram is a self-centered jerk. There are also some really questionable examples like Hiram encouraging his son to sleep with his stepdaughter. I’m having real trouble finishing a book with such an annoying main character.
But your review is insightful, critical and extremely well presented. Thank you!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I've read one of Willam H. Coles novels and I can agree that he's a great author. The fact that the Stellar surgeon gone health secretary fails when he's at the top of the game demonstrates that what's on the inside is what really matters. I love that it has a moral lesson.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

McDowell's attitude that if people felt cheated or belittled by him, it was their problem is something else! Your review really makes me want to read this one. Lovely writing!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 13:33
Cotwani wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:35 The elephant in the room for me, however, was the derogatory way in which women were described in the book. Older women who happened not to be in a relationship were often portrayed as vain, lonely, unfulfilled, and desperate pickups. I immensely hated this sexism and degradation of women in. In addition, the private investigator’s occasionally unexplained ‘leads’ that took her right where McDowell was, made the hunt appear so simple. Neither was she professional in carrying out her investigations. You will agree with me that only an amateur would barge into a new town and start showing pictures of the hunted before first lying low and secretly studying the residents. It did not help that she came highly recommended! I also found the ending of the book to be a bit rushed.
I’m currently reading this book. At least I’m trying... but the issue you mention here is making it unbearable for me. The whole narrative is sexist and, at least for me, Hiram is a self-centered jerk. There are also some really questionable examples like Hiram encouraging his son to sleep with his stepdaughter. I’m having real trouble finishing a book with such an annoying main character.
But your review is insightful, critical and extremely well presented. Thank you!
Soldier on, things kinda change! But I must agree Hiram can be pretty annoying.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Oulababe wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:12 I've read one of Willam H. Coles novels and I can agree that he's a great author. The fact that the Stellar surgeon gone health secretary fails when he's at the top of the game demonstrates that what's on the inside is what really matters. I love that it has a moral lesson.
You actually sum the book well - what's on the inside is what really matters! Thanks for the feedback!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

The slight sexism would definitely be a big turn off for me. It's a theme that I've noticed in a few other books that I've read lately as well. Must be something in the air.
Wonderful review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

He seems to be quite the character. I've seen this book but I didn't know if I would be interested or not. Great review. I think I'll try reading it.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 14:34 The slight sexism would definitely be a big turn off for me. It's a theme that I've noticed in a few other books that I've read lately as well. Must be something in the air.
Wonderful review!
I know what you mean - like there was a lot on personal motivation/improvement a while back. Thanks for giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 23:25 He seems to be quite the character. I've seen this book but I didn't know if I would be interested or not. Great review. I think I'll try reading it.
Great! I hope you get through it. The good part is you will have the opportunity to vent in the botm topic discussions!!
-Walt Disney
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

There are many such persons in the world who connive, cheat and even kill to get to the top of the ladder of success. This is truly an interesting tale. Thank you for your well-written review of this book.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

crediblereading2 wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 10:39 There are many such persons in the world who connive, cheat and even kill to get to the top of the ladder of success. This is truly an interesting tale. Thank you for your well-written review of this book.
Yes you are right. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

From distinguished public figure to hunted fugitive, McDowell sounds like a complex character. The derogatory view of women puts me off, but I still may give it a chance. Thanks for the information!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The main character sounds like someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, or perhaps a Sociopath (no empathy). I would have a difficult time reading an entire book about this kind of person. Their charm is often primarily manipulative. If they care about their children, it is because to not care, or for their children to fail, makes them look bad. Add to that a sexist attitude, and for me the book becomes unredeemable. But I do appreciate the helpful review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

stacie k wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 16:46 From distinguished public figure to hunted fugitive, McDowell sounds like a complex character. The derogatory view of women puts me off, but I still may give it a chance. Thanks for the information!
McDowell is complex indeed. The derogatory view of women is annoying, but manageable. Thanks for reading and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Kat Berg wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 21:31 The main character sounds like someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, or perhaps a Sociopath (no empathy). I would have a difficult time reading an entire book about this kind of person. Their charm is often primarily manipulative. If they care about their children, it is because to not care, or for their children to fail, makes them look bad. Add to that a sexist attitude, and for me the book becomes unredeemable. But I do appreciate the helpful review!
Lol! Good one! I googled NPD and for sure McDowell seems to exhibit the symptoms. It was ironic they said only a professional should diagnose yet the culprit is a top level surgeon! His friends/colleagues should have helped him a long time ago!!! Thanks for stopping by and making my day!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”