Review by Cotwani -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I will not lie to you – McDowell is the kind of novel that leaves you so ambivalent about the main protagonist that when pushed to make a stand about him away from the fence, you will find yourself becoming philosophical and uttering quotes in the family of this one that used to hang in my campus room:
There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us that it is hard to tell which one of us should change the rest of us!
William H. Coles is a seasoned author who has published more than ten award-winning novels, including McDowell. He uses his experience as a former ophthalmic trauma surgeon, department chairman, and regent for the American College of Surgeons, to create a convincing plot along the corridors of medicine and power! Hiram McDowell, the main protagonist in this other fiction genre novel, is a stellar surgeon who does not let anything stand in his way to the top. He connives, shoves or eliminates anything blocking his way to his desired destination. This anything could be an exhausted mountain climbing partner, a young boy attempting suicide or just about anyone. So successful is McDowell in his endeavors, that he soon catches the president's eye and is appointed Secretary of Health and Human Services. But alas, soon after, his lucky rising streak begins to wobble. Will his sterling professional image crumble into the shambles that characterize his family front? Oh right, I hadn’t yet mentioned to you that McDowell is clueless when it comes to nurturing inter-personal relationships! He is a playboy with three failed marriages in his record. His three children are not close to him. His two stepchildren never talk to him. He is obnoxious to the women and mistresses he picks all over. He callously steps on toes and ruffles feathers, without a backward glance! Well, while some of the people McDowell angered were bailing for his blood, a few mistakes he had tried to cover up backfired. In no time he tumbled from a distinguished public figure position to that of a hunted fugitive. Read the book to find out how a world-renowned surgeon copes with life amongst the homeless!

This novel is divided into two parts. The first being an account of McDowell's life as he goes up the career ladder. We encounter him living the high life to the fullest! He’s the President of the Board of Regents of the International College of Surgeons. He heads a Department of Surgery in Denver. He climbs high mountains, runs marathons, and is the founder of a foundation that up-fronts a surgery center in Nepal. He is practically a super-human hero. The second part of the book focuses on his life as a fugitive. We see how his streetwise disposition and quick reflexes catapult him to the top of his game once again. We find him begging, performing to crowds and successfully evading the long arm of the law! I must commend the author for his mastery in weaving a plot that powerfully pulls hard on the heartstrings, in opposite directions! I found myself loving and hating McDowell in equal measure! On the one hand, his life-devoted-to-me attitude was a big turn-off. I mean, he took absolutely no responsibility for his actions. He lied to people and made them feel inferior and demeaned. He treated women as sex-tools, his wife as a desperate nutcase. Sample his description of her in the opening chapter:
Carole practiced clinical psychology and lived in her own caverns of self-imposed hell.
On the other hand, McDowell tried to be there for his children and to help them in their struggles. Generally, his charm and charisma were remarkable. Allow me to go out on a limb here and argue that his callousness did not stem out of malice. He was simply too self-absorbed to empathize with anyone. According to him, if people felt cheated or belittled by him, it was their problem! It is no wonder then that he felt he was the victim when circumstances forced him to become a fugitive! He was initially so bitter and angry with everyone, that I expected him to do something crazy. Indeed, he epitomized the popular Miller of the Dee’s folk song ‘I care for nobody, no not I, and nobody cares for me!' Despite his signature arrogance, I couldn’t help rooting for him when by sheer grit and cunning charm, he always managed to outwit those hunting him. Moreover, he literally put his own troubles aside to save a few lives!

Narrating the story in the third person, Coles cleverly uses both past and present tenses, and even some ‘street-speak’ to weave a conversationally flowing storyline that gives the reader insights into the characters' reasoning. He introduces many characters and side plots which he superbly manages to keep relevant to the plot. The main theme found in the novel seems to be the ripple effects of un-nurtured relationships. Betrayal and revenge are also high on the list. Euthanasia is a surprisingly interesting angle that also crops up in the book. Before reading McDowell, I had a preformed opinion about euthanasia or assisted suicide. Even though I did not completely go over the fence to the other side of my opinion after reading it, I did move many steps towards the fence!

McDowell and his daughter Sophie show remarkable character development. When he starts writing his memoir during his life on the run, some of the people McDowell meets help him see his former interactions in a whole new perspective. He thus tries to redeem himself. Though Cole’s command of the English language is laudable, and the book is professionally edited, I still came across that occasional wrong word use like ‘undo’ instead of ‘undue’ and a couple other minor errors. These in no way interfered with the flow of the story, but they greatly assuaged my ‘what the heck!,' feeling over the publisher’s special instructions that all reviewers speak English ‘naively’ as their first language! Petty of me, right?

I wish there had been more depth in the other characters in the book as well. For example, McDowell’s other daughter, Ann, despite having a crucial role in the plot, is almost an abstract entity! The elephant in the room for me, however, was the derogatory way in which women were described in the book. Older women who happened not to be in a relationship were often portrayed as vain, lonely, unfulfilled, and desperate pickups. I immensely hated this sexism and degradation of women in. In addition, the private investigator’s occasionally unexplained ‘leads’ that took her right where McDowell was, made the hunt appear so simple. Neither was she professional in carrying out her investigations. You will agree with me that only an amateur would barge into a new town and start showing pictures of the hunted before first lying low and secretly studying the residents. It did not help that she came highly recommended! I also found the ending of the book to be a bit rushed.

I feel it is fair to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to lovers of fiction, who are not strongly affected by arrogant protagonists and the belittlement of women.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thanks for the very well detailed review on this book. I do not think it will appeal to me that much, but you never know it might surprise me.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

McDowell, certain is a book of wonder to me. I took an opportunity to review this book at the most troubled times in my life, yet it stands out to be one of the best books I ever read. It clearly stole my heart. I couldn't agree more with you on the above statements that you have presented. The author certainly knows his way to win his readers, and I have to say this read is very much appreciated by me. Thank you for bringing those wonderful memories!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Britty01 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 22:20 Thanks for the very well detailed review on this book. I do not think it will appeal to me that much, but you never know it might surprise me.
You never know! Actually the book didn't appeal to me too the first time I saw it, but now I can say, it's not all so bad!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 22:23 McDowell, certain is a book of wonder to me. I took an opportunity to review this book at the most troubled times in my life, yet it stands out to be one of the best books I ever read. It clearly stole my heart. I couldn't agree more with you on the above statements that you have presented. The author certainly knows his way to win his readers, and I have to say this read is very much appreciated by me. Thank you for bringing those wonderful memories!
I will have to check out your review. I agree the writer is very good. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-Walt Disney
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

William H. Coles is good at what he does. The main protagonist seems like an entertaining and unpredictable character. I must say, I really like your reviews.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have been on the fence with this book as well. I am still not sure if I want to read it because of the sexism, but you have made me pause to think about it. Thank you for your informative review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

asere_maryanne wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 13:15 William H. Coles is good at what he does. The main protagonist seems like an entertaining and unpredictable character. I must say, I really like your reviews.
Yes, McDowell is truly entertaining and unpredictable. Thanks for the positive feedback.
-Walt Disney
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

When I reached you part of review about McDowell's arrogance and his downfall as a fugitive, it reminds me of the Bible verse that I have read this morning "haughty comes before destruction..."

I believe there will be more lessons to be learned here. Thanks for such detailed and informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Your review was very thorough, and it showed how strongly you felt about the protagonist's character, both his good (?) and dark sides. I am positively intrigued by this review and thinking of reading this book next (so far I haven't done that because of that instruction by the publishers. By the way, what was that about?).
From what I gleaned from your review, I don't think I can root for Hiram. He seems too self-absorbed and completely heartless. I wonder if the way Coles has shown most of the the female characters just reflects Hiram's opinion of them!
I want to read this book, but can not make up my mind, because I speak English neither 'naively' nor 'natively'!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

melissy370 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 15:38 I have been on the fence with this book as well. I am still not sure if I want to read it because of the sexism, but you have made me pause to think about it. Thank you for your informative review.
The sexism can get annoying, but there is a lot more going on. Thanks for taking time to read and sharing your thoughts.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 00:45 When I reached you part of review about McDowell's arrogance and his downfall as a fugitive, it reminds me of the Bible verse that I have read this morning "haughty comes before destruction..."

I believe there will be more lessons to be learned here. Thanks for such detailed and informative review.
You are right! I also thought of Prov 16:18 when reading the book. His biggest undoing was promising his friend what he knew he wouldn't follow through. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Shrabastee wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 02:39 Your review was very thorough, and it showed how strongly you felt about the protagonist's character, both his good (?) and dark sides. I am positively intrigued by this review and thinking of reading this book next (so far I haven't done that because of that instruction by the publishers. By the way, what was that about?).
From what I gleaned from your review, I don't think I can root for Hiram. He seems too self-absorbed and completely heartless. I wonder if the way Coles has shown most of the the female characters just reflects Hiram's opinion of them!
I want to read this book, but can not make up my mind, because I speak English neither 'naively' nor 'natively'!
Lol!
Thanks shrabastee! I guess I was not the only one that went 'huh?!' at the instruction! I think Hiram is self-absorbed in a naive sort of was. Don't worry, though I'm not sure about the 'naively' part, I believe the editors have the 'natively' writing bit well covered.
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Cotwani wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 04:46
Shrabastee wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 02:39 Your review was very thorough, and it showed how strongly you felt about the protagonist's character, both his good (?) and dark sides. I am positively intrigued by this review and thinking of reading this book next (so far I haven't done that because of that instruction by the publishers. By the way, what was that about?).
Lol!
Thanks shrabastee! I guess I was not the only one that went 'huh?!' at the instruction! I think Hiram is self-absorbed in a naive sort of was. Don't worry, though I'm not sure about the 'naively' part, I believe the editors have the 'natively' writing bit well covered.
Ha ha...!! Well said! I guess I will just pick this one up!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Thanks for the review! I seemed to notice some similarities of another William H. Cole book I read called The Guardian of Deceit: belittling women, mixed feelings about the so-called protagonist, and not much character development outside the main character. Overall, the book was okay, but I'm a reader that LOVES character development so I don't if I'd pick this one up! But seeing as the author has written so many award-winning novels, I won't completely take him off my list. I have mixed feelings about feeling unsure about the main character who I sometimes respect and other times want to punch! Haha, I can't tell yet if I really enjoy that kind of read or strongly dislike it! Thanks again! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”