Review by Cotwani -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Re: Review by Cotwani -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Samy Lax »

Wow! A character who runs marathons and runs a surgery center is surely someone I'd like to get acquainted with.

Lovely review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Samy Lax wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 22:44 Wow! A character who runs marathons and runs a surgery center is surely someone I'd like to get acquainted with.

Lovely review!
Thanks, Samy Lax. Yes... McDowell is quite the character!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Kat Berg wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 21:31 The main character sounds like someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, or perhaps a Sociopath (no empathy). I would have a difficult time reading an entire book about this kind of person. Their charm is often primarily manipulative. If they care about their children, it is because to not care, or for their children to fail, makes them look bad. Add to that a sexist attitude, and for me the book becomes unredeemable. But I do appreciate the helpful review!
I agree completely with Kat Berg! Thanks for such a thorough review COTWANI-
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

BookReader+6 wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 08:41
Kat Berg wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 21:31 The main character sounds like someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, or perhaps a Sociopath (no empathy). I would have a difficult time reading an entire book about this kind of person. Their charm is often primarily manipulative. If they care about their children, it is because to not care, or for their children to fail, makes them look bad. Add to that a sexist attitude, and for me the book becomes unredeemable. But I do appreciate the helpful review!
I agree completely with Kat Berg! Thanks for such a thorough review COTWANI-
McDowell could get pretty annoying! Thanks for reading and giving feedback.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

Your review is thorough. I love it. McDowell's i-don't-care attitude is legendary. Who lives like that? It was a great read for me and I'm glad you pointed out some things I overlooked. Fantastic writing here 👌
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Julez wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 05:01 Your review is thorough. I love it. McDowell's i-don't-care attitude is legendary. Who lives like that? It was a great read for me and I'm glad you pointed out some things I overlooked. Fantastic writing here 👌
Thanks for taking time to read and give feedback. I enjoyed reading your review - it was well written.
-Walt Disney
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've presented the antagonist-protagonist character, the plot, the theme, and all other details so well that I was almost led to completely believe that it reaped your perfect review rating. When you didn't, you've presented your arguments so convincingly that I felt there's not much need to disagree either. Everyone and everything could be taken in varying perspectives, indeed. Once faced with a fresh new dilemma to decide which side of the fence we should go to, I think that, in this book's case, it won't matter much where that would be as long as it goes for what's true, fair and universally beneficial. Thank you for another compelling review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Though, I find the premise to be very intriguing, I never seem to pick it up.
After this, I think I will finally give it a go.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Espie wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 23:20 You've presented the antagonist-protagonist character, the plot, the theme, and all other details so well that I was almost led to completely believe that it reaped your perfect review rating. When you didn't, you've presented your arguments so convincingly that I felt there's not much need to disagree either. Everyone and everything could be taken in varying perspectives, indeed. Once faced with a fresh new dilemma to decide which side of the fence we should go to, I think that, in this book's case, it won't matter much where that would be as long as it goes for what's true, fair and universally beneficial. Thank you for another compelling review.
It's an interesting plot. You don't get so worked up that you stop reading the book altogether. On the other hand, you don't get so warmed to the protagonist that you forget his arrogance! Thanks for reading and providing feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Kajori50 wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 05:14 Though, I find the premise to be very intriguing, I never seem to pick it up.
After this, I think I will finally give it a go.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Hope you manage to get through the book, and even enjoy it. Thanks for taking the time to read and give feedback.
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

What a well-written review! I especially liked the way you explained Hiram with this sentence: "He connives, shoves or eliminates anything blocking his way to his desired destination." Having read the book myself that is a perfect explanation of his character!
For people that have read, or not read McDowell, either way I feel readers can learn something by reading your review of this book!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

fernsmom wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 08:28 What a well-written review! I especially liked the way you explained Hiram with this sentence: "He connives, shoves or eliminates anything blocking his way to his desired destination." Having read the book myself that is a perfect explanation of his character!
For people that have read, or not read McDowell, either way I feel readers can learn something by reading your review of this book!
Thank you for the compliment fernsmom

I appreciate your taking the time to read and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Wow, I can learn so much from your reviews. To be conversational, and entertaining - instead of just stating the facts (like I tend to do). Great job! Instead of just saying that he is selfish or arrogant, I like how you write sentences like this:
He connives, shoves or eliminates anything blocking his way to his desired destination.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

fernsmom wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 06:37 Wow, I can learn so much from your reviews. To be conversational, and entertaining - instead of just stating the facts (like I tend to do). Great job! Instead of just saying that he is selfish or arrogant, I like how you write sentences like this:
He connives, shoves or eliminates anything blocking his way to his desired destination.
I'm glad you find something to take away. Learn away!!

Thanks for the compliments!
-Walt Disney
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

Thank you for a nice review. I know exactly what you mean about the way women are described. However, I feel that was part of the storytelling. The author has pulled off a pretty difficult task of making an extremely unlikable yet interesting character.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”