Review by oge123 -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
oge123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oge123.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Review by oge123 -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by oge123 » 20 Sep 2018, 14:03

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon's Wife is a tragic book of fiction. It was written by William H. Coles. It was set mainly in New Orleans. The book has a touch of both modern and ancient.

The Surgeon's Wife highlighted the lives of health workers, especially surgeons, as they struggle between their selfish needs and their oath to save lives. It was apparent that Clayton, one of the major characters, was operating obese patients only for the wealth and glory, to the detriment of the patients. Clayton lacked experience in an area in surgery but refused to upgrade himself due to his pride. Mike, another major character, who was a surgeon and Clayton's boss was torn between his loyalty to Clayton ( Clayton was Mike's teacher) and the lives of the patients. As Clayton fought to retain his license as a seasoned surgeon, he became distraught, alienated himself from his wife , Catherine and daughter. Their once happy home became a hell. When the situation at home became unbearable, Catherine ran to Mike for comfort and love. Can their love survive in the judgemental city of New Orleans? Will their love conquer amidst the losses and penury all around Catherine? Is Mike willing to betray his mentor? Will Clayton fold back his arms and let his wife betray him with his former student? These were questions I kept asking myself as I patiently read this captivating novel.

Clayton arrogance was his downfall. He never acknowledged he was capable of making a mistake. He doubted that he can make mistakes and refused to take advise. When he was hit very hard, he started to look for someone to lay the blame. While all these woes befell him, he refused to redeem himself. He became embittered and carried so much vengeance in him. Rosie, Mike's girlfriend, was a character I got attracted to. She went for what she wanted without looking back, even though she was the one that broke the relationship. She wanted it all or nothing.

Cole showed a mastery in his writing. The way he presented the twisted mind of Clayton, made me laugh. Many great themes were put forward in the story. Family wealth played a role in shaping the characters in the story. Clayton came from a family of affluence. His arrogance came partly from knowing he was the son of somebody and his experience in surgery. His wealth also spoke for him even when he was not there. There is a motif of sexism in the novel. The surgeons hardly agreed on an issue raised by a female surgeon. This helped to elongate the story. How? If the surgeons have agreed outrightly when one of the surgeons made a strong case about the success of Clayton's surgery, Clayton's character would have been very brief.

The writer is a seasoned writer especially when it comes to stories about doctors and health. He is versatile with medical terms and used them liberally in the book. I noticed slight errors in the book. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a thriller, full of suspense and will surely appeal to people who love doctor stories and tragic stories.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like oge123's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”