Review by ParadoxicalWoman -- Apollo's Raven

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review by ParadoxicalWoman -- Apollo's Raven

Post by Marissa Michael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marriage was not about love; it was about assuring the family line.
To what extent do you agree with this statement? If you ask me, my answer will be I don't know until I'm placed in that situation.

Apollo's Raven is the first book in the Apollo's Raven series. It is based on a blend of history and mythology of Southeast Celtic tribes in Britain before the invasion of the Roman Emperor Claudius in 43 AD. Kudos to the author for masterfully weaves a fictional tale out of her historical research on Ancient Rome and Brittania. The descriptive language used by the author is the cherry on the cake.

This book is written from the multiple points of the characters' view which enables me to know their reasoning behind a character's decision hence improves my enjoyment in reading this book.

I enjoyed reading Catrin's and Marcellus' point of views. To each of them are ordered by their own father to seduce another to obtain information. Regardless of their doubts raised by their fathers, their bonding gradually caused the unstoppable connection toward each other which eventually blooming into forbidden love.

Do Catrin and Marcellus are selfish enough to forsake their family and people just to run to each other's arms? or do they be an obedient child to do what is expected out of them by their parents for assuring the family line and for political alliance? You will find out more by reading this book.

The best thing I have learned from reading this book is people are not usually on what they claimed to be. A person may appear to be helping you out of your misery and give 'sound advice' to you which in the end will be proven to be the greatest affliction in your utmost time of need; helping you is meant to slowly break you down and advising you is meant to your greatest adversary. This is a good point to be emphasised in order for us to be aware of the wolf in a sheep's clothing.

Throughout my reading of this book, I find the errors in punctuation, grammar, and the format of this book is nonexistent. So, I figured this book to be professionally edited.

I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars for the descriptive language used, written from multiple points of view, for the unpredictability, and for the professional editing of this book. Aside from what I loved about this book, I also feel obligated to point out my dislike of this book which is regarding the child raping and children sacrifice. However, I felt relief that the author kept this at minimal which is why I don't remove 1 star from my rating. Plus, what I like about this book is greater than my dislike.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy reading historical fiction when Roman was the dominant empire, fantasy, enjoy reading about forbidden love, and to those who are into mythology. Be aware that if you can't stomach reading about children abuse though at minimal, then this book is not for you.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ParadoxicalWoman's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Your review contains a few grammatical errors. However, your review is able to put its point across that this is a historical fiction about the Southeast Celtic tribes in Britain. I am unfamiliar with their significance in history. I would have liked to read about Catrin's and Marcellus' forbidden love but I will be uncomfortable with the historical setting. SO, I will give it a pass. Thanks for the review!
Marissa Michael

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 22:58 Your review contains a few grammatical errors. However, your review is able to put its point across that this is a historical fiction about the Southeast Celtic tribes in Britain. I am unfamiliar with their significance in history. I would have liked to read about Catrin's and Marcellus' forbidden love but I will be uncomfortable with the historical setting. SO, I will give it a pass. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It’s not a genre that I usually read, but it sounds well written and complex.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Marissa Michael

Helen_Combe wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 03:36 Great review. It’s not a genre that I usually read, but it sounds well written and complex.
Thanks for reading and commenting! :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have heard a lot about this read. It's really great to see a fellow reviewer appreciate this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Marissa Michael

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 04:03 I have heard a lot about this read. It's really great to see a fellow reviewer appreciate this read. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for reading and commenting, Sahani 😊
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Quite notable is your helpful warning about some parts of the review. Thank you for your concise review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like your opening. It engaged me - though the book does not appeal to me. Thanks for the thought-provoking review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Oooooh, this is an engaging review! I didn’t realize that this was
It is based on a blend of history and mythology of Southeast Celtic tribes in Britain before the invasion of the Roman Emperor Claudius in 43 AD
. That and the way you’ve described the dynamics between characters and the questions/choices they face make it much more interesting to me. Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

For some people, marriage is heaven but it's also hell for some people. Whatever it is, it worths a try.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I never thought I could be interested in this time period until I read this book and now I'm totally hooked with the series. I agree with you that the multiple points of view enrich the story very much and the twists are amazing.
Thank you for your thorough and honest review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I agree with you that the author did a great job of writing a descriptive tale of Catrin and Marcellus after researching ancient Rome and Brittania. It seemed very authentic and possible. The multiple viewpoints helped to see things from different perspectives. I also disliked the parts that you mentioned. There were some evil-acting people in the story.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I have seen a couple of other reviews on this same book and I like that this review seems to try to cut to the core of the story. Though there are a few grammatical errors, I was able to get the drift of the review. The historical aspect (the author must have done a fair amount) of this book seems compelling. I was somewhat undecided after the other reviews I had seen as they all harped on the fantasy and magic aspect, but this review reveals the informational aspect of this book.
Thanks for the review and I hope I find this read worthwhile went I go for it.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

This is a lovely review of what sounds like an excellent book! I do enjoy books about Ancient Rome so I may have to check this one out based on your review. However, I sometimes have problems reading about child abuse, so I would have to read this when I am feeling confident to make it through that part

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”