Review by Liza Layugan -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Liza Layugan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-layugan.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review by Liza Layugan -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Liza Layugan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dark fantasy and historical fiction come together in The Engine Woman’s Light by Laurel Anne Hill. It is a coming-of-age story about the life of Juanita Elise Jame-Navarro in the 1890s. Juanita is an unwanted infant and is callously placed on a train bound for California’s asylum. But it was by design that she was out there, for among the train’s passengers is her grandmother. The old woman maybe frail but she manages to escape with the baby and delivers her to a land called Promise. Fifteen years later, Juanita grows to be a girl mystic traveler. Her first vision directs her to carry out a life-saving mission. Shockingly, her quest sets into motion a series of tragic events that cause unbearable pain and sorrow. As she struggles to bear her grief and disillusionment, love from an unlikely source brings her comfort and strength. It appears to be the saving grace she needs to come to terms with the discovery of unsettling truths about her real family. And it may also be just enough to sway her choice between staying true to an unusual commitment and going back to her first love.

What do I like about the book? One is the book’s section detailing how Juanita’s grandmother courageously plots a successful getaway to save her from a dreadful fate in the asylum. This part of the book grabbed my interest and had me asking whether a feeble old woman is up to the task of escaping with an infant. I absolutely had to keep on reading so I can satisfy my doubts. The other thing I like is the character of Guide. He is an unfortunate victim of sexual abuse and scientific experiment. Yet he remains kind, thoughtful and willing to sacrifice himself for the protection of his loved ones. I truly admire his character’s compassionate nature and self-sacrificing protectiveness.

What do I dislike about the book? First, I feel upset by how the underlying dark theme is overplayed to amplify the reader’s horror and disgust. In some parts, the darkness is unnecessary, contrived and inappropriate. It is unnecessary in the rape scene that fails to add meaning to the storyline. It is contrived in the risky train scene where a man manages to get sexually distracted in the face of grave danger. Lastly, it is inappropriate in the section where a spirit unduly harasses the heroine by ruffling the clothes on her body. He is already supposedly dead and has apologized for his past abuses, so what’s the point really?

Second, I find myself questioning the credibility of the characters, specifically the heroine’s ancestors. It is sad that they freely allow their young relative to be defiled and humiliated. This contradicts my traditional image of ancestors as guardians who fiercely protect their family and shelter them from harm. Perhaps, the passage that “...a mystic doesn't die until the Shadow World decrees” clearly paints the picture of ancestors that the author had in mind. I believe it plainly states that a mystic exists solely for her ancestor’s purpose. The mystic may get hurt and experience unspeakable pain, but the torment continues until the ancestors pronounce it is done.

I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. It is well-edited and started off quite well which had me anticipating a great story. Regrettably, it fell short of my expectations. It turned out to be a sorely disappointing book that had me alternating between dismay and disgust. The story’s underlying darkness got out of hand and lost its significance. Instead of adding depth to the character’s tragedy, it merely became a needless shock factor that grates at the nerves.

I recommend the book for readers who can deal with uncomfortable topics like abuse and taboos in society. It may also interest those who like disturbing stories with a historical setting. It is not for people who prefer light reading, and who dislike violence.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Liza Layugan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I have also read and reviewed this book and I agree with you on most things.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”