Review by lindsey_flagg -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-flagg.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by lindsey_flagg -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by lindsey_flagg »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is an exciting and fast-paced novel that explores the question of what people would do if they learned that they had only days left to live. The book follows the lives of several senior citizens who receive the VT2, a cutting-edge new smart watch that constantly monitors their health - and includes a controversial feature that predicts date of death with high accuracy up to a month before their demise. While some of the seniors use this knowledge of their “Final Notice” for good, a disturbing number of individuals use this information, along with their new guns purchased with help from the NRA’s new senior gun discount, to seek revenge on those that have wronged them. The story quickly turns tense and thrilling as stories surrounding the creators of the VT2 watch, FBI investigators and a kind, liberally-minded senior couple in California all mesh together with the stories of the VT2 owners to create an example of the dangers of racism, ageism and uncontrolled gun ownership.

I truly enjoyed the way that Fleisher built his characters’ stories and intertwined them to make a point about the current political climate in the United States. The book could have easily become a dry political read, but the relatable characters and page-turning suspense made the book feel more like an action novel and less like propaganda. There was also a good dash of humor thrown in to lighten some of the darkest moments throughout. Romance, disappointments and the universally appealing exploration of mortality all made the story even more entertaining and good for the soul.

While I enjoyed the book tremendously, many readers may be offended if they do not agree with the politics presented within. I could relate to the reasoning of the more liberally-minded characters, and I am very passionate about gun control; a more conservative thinker would likely find little to relate to in and may even become offended by this story, especially the way that many of the Republican characters are presented (except for the moderate conservative Senator McAdam). I believe that the points Fleisher made were important, and I am sure that there is something for people at every end of the political spectrum to learn from this novel; I just think that the depictions of right and left as evil versus good were a little too black and white in most parts of the book. This could easily lead to a smaller customer base for this work of fiction.

I also find it important to mention that, while the personalities of most characters were believable, there were times that I felt a certain person could have had a more colorful or well-developed personality. It seemed that Fleisher took a few liberties with characters and even presented a couple of contradictions within the plot, and I am afraid this may have been a way for him to support his black-and-white morality. There were times that the author attempted to show both the “good” and “bad” characters as multidimensional and human; they just were not very consistent.

Due to a few formatting errors and the smaller flaws mentioned above, I am giving Final Notice by Van Fleisher 3 out of 4 stars, though I wish I could give it a 3.5 rating. I personally found it to be one of my favorite books that I have read recently, and it was definitely exciting. I just think that it could have been written in a way that did not offend one political viewpoint to benefit another. Fleisher did point out at the end that he is probably “preaching to the choir,” so perhaps he think that only more liberally-minded readers would purchase this book in the first place. I still think he could have been a bit less emotional and more polite at times.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like lindsey_flagg's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Great review. I, though, would not want to know the end of my life. I would stay far away from this watch.
I agree with you that the personalities in the story are well developed.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

crediblereading2 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 10:17 Great review. I, though, would not want to know the end of my life. I would stay far away from this watch.
I agree with you that the personalities in the story are well developed.
The "Final Notice" feature IS supposed to be voluntary, although it seems that most characters in the book choose to turn it on for some reason. I wouldn't want to know, either.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I could see where you're coming from when you mentioned the political colour in this piece. I, for one, would like to remain nonpartisan and apolitical as before. People may appear too complex, inconsistent and errant in real life for our fancy, indeed, that only an omniscient viewpoint would be able to make full sense of it all. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

Espie wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 20:14 I could see where you're coming from when you mentioned the political colour in this piece. I, for one, would like to remain nonpartisan and apolitical as before. People may appear too complex, inconsistent and errant in real life for our fancy, indeed, that only an omniscient viewpoint would be able to make full sense of it all. Thank you for your insightful review.
I apologize for the late response, but thank you for your comments.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I truly enjoyed the way that Fleisher built his characters’ stories and intertwined them to make a point about the current political climate in the United States. The book could have easily become a dry political read, but the relatable characters and page-turning suspense made the book feel more like an action novel and less like propaganda. There was also a good dash of humor thrown in to lighten some of the darkest moments throughout. Romance, disappointments and the universally appealing exploration of mortality all made the story even more entertaining and good for the soul.

While I enjoyed the book tremendously, many readers may be offended if they do not agree with the politics presented.
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. The fact that an author brings up serious issues doesn't make the novel boring at all. Many authors bring up serious social problems in engaging and extremely well-developed novels.
I enjoyed this book but I do understand why you think some people might get offended. However, it's important to keep an open mind, even if someone is on the other end of the political spectrum and, hopefully, many people can read this book with such openness.
Thank you for your review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I liked the way you reflected the balance the author strikes between the political and the personal. Fiction is a great way of exploring the sort of topics he tackles.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 01:45 I liked the way you reflected the balance the author strikes between the political and the personal. Fiction is a great way of exploring the sort of topics he tackles.
I agree with you. Thanks for your reply!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

You summarized the book very well! The story with different characters and the special watch that could warn people of their final days did all make the politics less dry as you put it. Though it did make me think about the issues of gun control and how the aging population may feel vulnerable and mistreated by some. It was interesting and shocking how different people upon finding out their final notice did with their time.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

I have read lot of reviews on this same book but this is the best. I likee your review very much for its clarity. Thanks for the review.
---
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

LV2R wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 20:36 You summarized the book very well! The story with different characters and the special watch that could warn people of their final days did all make the politics less dry as you put it. Though it did make me think about the issues of gun control and how the aging population may feel vulnerable and mistreated by some. It was interesting and shocking how different people upon finding out their final notice did with their time.
I think the psychological/philosophical aspect would be interesting to many readers, even if they don't agree with the author's politics. Thanks for your thoughtful comments!
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

Bavithra M wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 23:06 I have read lot of reviews on this same book but this is the best. I likee your review very much for its clarity. Thanks for the review.
It's so nice to hear that you thought this one was the best! It is always easy for me to passionately review books I enjoy. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”