Review by Fozia-Bajwa -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Fozia-Bajwa -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An independent and autonomous community named Andalusia is located in Southern Spain. In all of the autonomous and independent communities of the country, it lies at the second largest number. It is famous for historical nationality and has eight provinces. Jerusalem is a city located in the Judean Mountains on a plateau between the Mediterranean and the Dead Sea in the Middle East. Three major Abrahamic religions---Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are found in Jerusalem.

Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois Benaroch is a personal story of the author Guillermo. He is a Spanish teenaged 8-year old boy. He imitates to be a Jew in front of his peers and classmates. He adapts his imitation to permanent identity as he grows up in order to avoid the sarcasm from his friends. Actually, he doesn't know anything about himself. He is fond of writing and becomes a writer because he knows the Jew writers are most prominent. He wrote a book on the history of Jerusalem upon which he is invited by a writing festival in Jerusalem.

Guillermo met Charly on that festival and introduced himself as a Jew. Charly was a writer also so they became friends soon. An Andalusian woman met Guillermo and claimed to be his mother. She told Guillermo that her son was lost in the Lebanon War. Charly met with a woman who looked like his wife. Both friends have the similar stories. Guillermo was kidnapped by owners of Jerusalem and was enforced to write about the Jerusalem. His friend Charly gave him a manuscript to read and comment which Guillermo liked the most. Next day Guillermo started to search the woman again, who claimed to be his mother.

This story is interesting and entertaining as it has many magical and supernatural themes. Lucena is a city which has mystical experiences in its sad past. Actually, it's a religious and travel story of the writer himself. Different religions have been discussed in the book but there is a difference between the appearance and reality throughout the story. The monologue is also the part of a story, as the concept of reality has been built by the writer himself without any other being involved. The interactions between the characters of the story are not consistent with logic and plot line is lacking a visible organization.

The writer describes the Jewish communities outside the Palestine and modern Israel by giving examples of their language, culture, religion, and traditions. An effort to make compatibility between the reality of the past and identity of the present for gaining respect in the society is explained in the book. The vast and long manuscript given by Charly creates boredom for the readers who are not interested in the poetry.

The part of the story I liked the most is writer's identity because a feeling of sympathy is produced for Guillermo when he hides his identity to overcome the pressure of his classmates and peers upon him. Religion is a personal aspect and enforcement to convert the one religion into another is an ethical and moral issue. So the part of the story I didn't like is when old Christians enforce Jews to convert their religion from Judaism to Christianity.

The story is well written, accessible, and understandable with the simple flow of language. That's the reason, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. There are some points in the story which are not coherent with the reality, as some houses and streets are existent only in the night but not during the daytime. This aspect of the story makes me ineligible to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I will recommend this book to those readers who are interested in the Jewish culture, heritage, poetry, and religious studies.

Andalusian in Jerusalem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Fozia-Bajwa's review? Post a comment saying so!
CasualBookReader
Favorite Book: How to be a writer: Building your creative skills through practice and play
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casualbookreader.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by CasualBookReader »

I didn't understand the novel the way you do. The super long sentences made it a difficult read for me.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Interesting review. I just finished reading the book and I think you've done justice to it. I'm really impressed by your work.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Thanks for your in-depth review. While this genre may not be for me, I appreciate what you have written here!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the detailed review. Looks like there is so much going on in the book. Glad you enjoyed it.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

CasualBookReader wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 01:36 I didn't understand the novel the way you do. The super long sentences made it a difficult read for me.
Thanks for your comments.
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

CasualBookReader wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 01:36 I didn't understand the novel the way you do. The super long sentences made it a difficult read for me.
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Abigail R wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 17:06 Thanks for your in-depth review. While this genre may not be for me, I appreciate what you have written here!
😊
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Cotwani wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 22:54 Thanks for the detailed review. Looks like there is so much going on in the book. Glad you enjoyed it.
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 01:22 Interesting review. I just finished reading the book and I think you've done justice to it. I'm really impressed by your work.
Nice to see such good communication from you.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

This review discusses the important aspects, of the Jewish communities outside Palestine and modern Israel and allows its readers to know briefly about the culture, religion, and traditions of the Jewish people. Overall an excellent review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I do want to learn about the Jewish community. This book seems to be the starter for that. Thanks for your detailed review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fozia-Bajwa

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Sirajuddin wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 12:49 This review discusses the important aspects, of the Jewish communities outside Palestine and modern Israel and allows its readers to know briefly about the culture, religion, and traditions of the Jewish people. Overall an excellent review.
Thanks a lot for your comments.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”