Review by Estrellah -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Estrellah
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Cowboys Don't Quit
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estrellah.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by Estrellah -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Estrellah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles strikes me as a tragic novel. It starts by bringing in the picture of Doctor Luke who was invited by A.J to a party of donors for Eye Institute. In the party, Luke meets A.J’s wife Agnes and A.J’s daughters Lucy and Elizabeth. Lucy is a lawyer and Elizabeth is a teacher. The two have a different way of interacting with people. Lucy seems arrogant while Elizabeth is reasonable and considerate. After the party, Lucy gave Luke a ride back to his place. Despite the fact that she was drunk, she refused to let Luke drive. She drove beyond the speed limit and caused an accident. Lucy was charged with vehicular manslaughter.

The accident brought these two closer and they got married. It seems to me that Lucy married Luke for the sole purpose of neutralizing him as a witness against her since he was the sole witness to the accident. It’s hard to tell whether she loves Luke or not.

Lucy got a chance for lead defense in a case where an evangelist by the name Hower Bain was accused of rape. Lucy fell in love with her client and forgot about her husband Luke and their child Jennifer. Bain fled to Africa and Lucy followed him there. Unfortunately, her presence was not liked by someone and Lucy got poisoned. She went back to Atlanta to start all over but the damage was already done. She had already destroyed her promising career, her reputation, her relation with family and the trust that the family members had in her. Her world started falling apart. It was a sudden fall from grace to grass as a result of the bad choices she had made.

One of the things I like this novel is that it is unpredictable. This motivates the reader to keep turning the pages in order to know what happens next. I also like the way the writer presents the characters and describes the emotions of every scene such that the reader is able to understand and get immersed fully in the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because the book was professionally edited and I didn’t spot any grammatical errors anywhere. Lawyers and doctors will find this book interesting. I would also recommend this book to religious people. This book describes the weird lifes that some families and pastors live.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Estrellah's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”