Review by KCWolf -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Review by KCWolf -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoo...

Post by KCWolf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery review draft 3

As a middle-aged woman, I didn’t think that I would enjoy reading a children’s book as much as I did. But, I truly loved reading Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi. I rate this 4 out of 4 stars.

It’s the story of an investigative Siberian cat named Inca and her family, who are on vacation in Sri Lanka. As they are enjoying fun in the sun, and meeting new animal friends (such as a turtle named Rani and a baby elephant named Mena), she stumbles upon a mystery. The curious cat cannot help herself but takes risks to solve the mystery of a sword that was stolen from the museum. Along with their dog friend Terrence, her brother Fromage, and her new friends, Inca will not stop until this case is solved.

I found the character Inca to be very loveable and enjoyed reading her diary as she tells of their adventurous vacation. I loved the beautiful color illustrations of the adorable characters by artist Jorge Valle. I felt that they enhanced the story and reading experience. R.F. Kristi uses lovely, descriptive prose throughout the book, and doesn’t water down her writing for children, as some authors tend to do. Geographical information is written seamlessly into the story; which educates as well as entertains.

The pets face danger, but nothing that is too scary for younger children. I really love the scenes where the pets interact with wild animals, especially the leopards.

The use of words like “yippee!” and “oodles” peppered throughout the prose seemed a little annoying, but then I remembered that this is a story for children. It’s cute without being annoyingly cutesy. And, Inca is not a Mary Sue but a very sweet, endearing character that will remind children of their own household pet. Maybe teens and tweens wouldn’t be interested in it and find it a little too short and sweet. However, I’d definitely recommend it for ages 8-12.

The story is easy to follow, and you don’t need to read the previous books in the series to enjoy this one. However, I think this book is likely to spark interest in the rest of the Inca series.

I am pleased to say I found very few errors. Only one run-on sentence, and the use of the word “sneaked” where I felt she should have used “snuck.” So hats off to the editor, and the author as well.
This was truly a sweet, delightful mystery for young readers.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KCWolf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I love to read reviews of kids book. Everyone always love them and they are so fun and simple. I'll probably not be reading this one but happy to see great books are out there for the kids! Thanks for the review.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

This book is quite hilarious. I'm sure you enjoyed it. regards.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”