Review by bdkcu -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bdkcu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdkcu.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Review by bdkcu -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by bdkcu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Smith" by Sam B Miller II.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jake, the teen-aged son of a Harvard archaeologist working a dig in Israel, stumbles on a ancient, hidden ring while running from some bad men, and this is the story of his ring-directed adventures. It starts out a bit reminiscent of a young adult/boys’ action story (think Hardy Boys), but it grows up fast..

I rated SMITH 3 out of 4 stars. Had it not been for proof-reading issues, I would have given it a 4, simply because it was so much fun, and kept my interest. I can see re-reading this a few years from now. Hmm -- on second thought, probably re-reading this in a few months; it’s THAT good.

The dialogue rings true, and there are unexpected nibbles of wit and humor from the beginning: “Rob Goddard was an archeologist (sic) first and a father sixth. Or maybe even tenth.” The writing is, in places, beautifully, wittily, sarcastically, descriptive; i.e., “A stocky woman in a dress better suited to the wardrobe of a "Leave It to Beaver" television show . . .” I love an author that can make me laugh out loud. Not just once, but a number of times.

AND THEN there was a point where I was holding my breath. I won’t tell you when or where, but you’ll know it when you read it.

I really enjoyed the book; the concept is comfortably familiar -- a magical, all-powerful ring, with a slowly-realized dark side . The action is quick without being overly gore-filled, and the voice, “SMITH”, is sometimes a total smart-ass. For example - Jake: “. . . love hurts”. Smith: “Wasn’t that a song title?” Me: snicker.

Anyone looking for a simple, basic action/adventure novel will like this book. There is the potential of a romantic attraction, but the focus is the action -- and it’s non-stop. I wound up reading chapters past where I intended to stop. The only caveat I have is the impressive number of punctuation errors. If missing hyphens and commas -- and I don’t mean the occasional Oxford comma -- bother you, this might not be your “read”. If you can look past this, you’ll have a roller-coaster ride ahead of you.

Smith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bdkcu's review? Post a comment saying so!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I liked your review. Interesting to read other's opinions on books that I have reviewed. That was by far the most enjoyable parts of the book to me. There were many other reasons but glad to see other people enjoyed the bantering as well. I liked Smith's overreactions, and the author's imagination in the back-and forth conversations between Jake and Smith. With the almost 3000 year age difference it was hilarious.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”