Review by sanjus -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Embalmer" by Vincent Zandri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri is an action thriller story of a detective however it gives an experience of watching a horror movie. The main character in this book is Steve Jobz, the name that sounds similar to Steve Jobs who was the founder and CEO of Apple Inc. Steve feels a bit uncomfortable with his last name Jobz because he thinks people may make fun of him in some way. Steve was a former cop, but he was fired from that job for his misjudgment during an encounter and shooting a teenager. Later he joins the Unemployment Insurance Fraud Investigations Agency and waits for a breakthrough.

All of a sudden the news spreads everywhere about a serial killer who kills the victim by injecting the embalming fluid into the victim's body when the victim is still alive. Then after that, he shifts the victim’s body to some public place but ensures that nobody sees him while doing it. When such incidents start repeating, the other protagonist, detective Miller, takes the official help from Steve to trace out the culprit using the data available with Steve. Inputs from Steve help Miller to narrow down the search to fewer suspects. It appears at the beginning of the story that all these crimes could be an act of a psychopath.

At the beginning of the book, there was a feeling that this may be a detective story only, but after the midway, it appeared as a horror packed action story as well. The flow of the book was good enough so that it did not hinder the thrilling experience while reading it. The description of the victim's bodies is very much nerve-wracking and also quite disgusting. Even though the book was quite captivating, the detail descriptions of the embalming procedure disgusted me a bit. I don't recommend this book for weak hearted and also to those who dislike the flesh cutting scenes and sight of blood. I feel this book is suitable for the mature adults only.

I like the author's art of crafting the characters especially of Steve who was humorous enough to make me laugh at sometimes. Steve is not like a superhero or a macho man, but he is just a simple person, which can make the reader easily get absorbed into his character. The only thing I disliked is that he drinks too much alcohol and gets out of his control at times, which I feel is not appropriate for projecting a cop on duty.

I could rarely find any grammatical or the spelling errors, and so that did not affect the reading experience. I appreciate the vast vocabulary of the author, but there were certain new words used in this book for which I needed to use a dictionary. I was able to complete reading within one day as the pages swiftly turned one after another. Initially, I considered giving three stars for my dislikes as mentioned above. Then taking into consideration both my likes and dislikes, weighing its importance, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars for the quality content.

The Embalmer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sanjus's review? Post a comment saying so!
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review :) It sounds like a good combination of a detective story and horror packed action. It's great that the book was captivating - but I think I'll be a bit squeamish reading about the flesh cutting scenes. I'll have to skim that part!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Great review! I prefer the detective elements to horror so might have to give this one a miss... :o
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

Allyseria wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 09:25 Thank you for your review :) It sounds like a good combination of a detective story and horror packed action. It's great that the book was captivating - but I think I'll be a bit squeamish reading about the flesh cutting scenes. I'll have to skim that part!
Yes, such scenes are the core of this story and it is covered in several pages in several occasions. Thanks for commenting on this review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

Julie Green wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 14:33 Great review! I prefer the detective elements to horror so might have to give this one a miss... :o
Thanks you for reading my review and commenting on it.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I too read and reviewed this book. I found the plot engaging but I found the detective part of the novel less appealing. The book emphasized more on the blood and gore and the shock value of the crime. Thanks for the review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, and you’ve sold it to me, I love a good macabre crime.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”