Review by Dusamae -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by Dusamae -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Dusamae »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sharon Backovic didn’t like the dark!

Jen Frankel has written, at the time of this review, five books. Her genre is science fiction, fantasy, and a little horror. She has also written a screenplay for the adaptation of Undead Redhead, for a movie. Undead Redhead has 222 pages, making this book a quick read.

Undead Redhead: A Zombie Romance with a Vegan Twist is about Sharon Backovic. She didn’t like the dark, but when she opened her eyes it was darker than she had ever experienced. Sharon realizes she is dead or undead, but her memory is coming back slowly, in flashes. Her friends don’t want anything to do with her, but strangers are becoming her true friends as she lives her undead life.

The author’s description and detail cause the reader to care about the character. The reader can sympathize with Sharon when she finds that her apartment has been emptied and her things have been sold except for a few things she finds in the dumpster. If like me, the reader can get a little queasy at times when Sharon is trying to find something to eat, or the maggots crawling on her <cringe>.

One of my favorite parts is when Sharon is being stalked, and she chases him down and tickles him into submission. Her stalker is a fourteen-year-old boy who thinks he is in love with her. He even named his guinea pig after her.

Another favorite part is when Sharon is living behind a dumpster and Malcolm finds her. She is embarrassed because she was digging through trash bags looking for food. She tells him that her favorite food is from the nearby vegan restaurant and Malcolm goes there to buy her some food. He also offers his couch to her.

The story was a little hard to follow in the beginning, but it came together after a few chapters. This book had a slow pace but picked up about half-way through. It had funny sections, and a lot of sad sections, to me anyway. I felt so sorry for Sharon when even her family didn’t go to her funeral.

My rating for Undead Redhead: A Zombie Romance with a Vegan Twist is 3 out of 4 stars. The errors kept me from giving this book a four out of four stars. I would recommend this book to readers that like zombie books. I would not recommend this book to young readers who might be frightened of zombies, although she is a good zombie.

The moral of the story is “be yourself”. Sharon discovered that she was trying to make other people happy and she was being who they wanted her to be. It was only after her death that she realized that the new people in her life liked her for her. The friends of her past were not really her friends, they were just users.

Undead Redhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dusamae's review? Post a comment saying so!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I'm not a bigger reader of zombie books but this sounds like it is quite well done. Great review!
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Julie Green wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 07:11 I'm not a bigger reader of zombie books but this sounds like it is quite well done. Great review!
I'm not a big fan either, but I thought I would give it a try. It was really a good book, better than I thought it would be.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”