Review by JuliaKay -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Review by JuliaKay -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Embalmer" by Vincent Zandri.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's summer in Albany, New York, and a woman sits on a park bench with her perfect hair blowing in the wind. Her startling blue eyes gaze at you as you jog by. The woman is smiling, and her friendly demeanor is enough to make you stop running and greet her. She doesn't acknowledge your greeting. She doesn't blink at all. She doesn't even breathe.

Steve Jobz (not to be confused with the late Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple) is an ex-cop who now works at the Unemployment Insurance Fraud Investigations Agency in Albany, New York. When Detective Miller from the Albany Police Department asks him for help with the Mortician Murders investigation, Jobz is more than happy to get away from his lackluster career. A misguided soul has so far committed three murders by injecting victims with embalming fluid while they were still alive. With no leads on the identity of the culprit, Miller and Jobz must work tirelessly to find someone who fits the established profile before another embalmed and lifelike corpse is put on display in Albany.

The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri is an example of a thriller done right! The story is captivating from the first page to the last sentence. Two strengths deserve a standing ovation. The first is that every few chapters readers are treated with a first-person perspective from the mortician murderer. The author gives us a glimpse into the murderer's bizarre home life and takes us along as the next victim of the embalmer is pursued. This glimpse into the mind of the murderer, albeit a little disturbing, is actually a real treat and an excellent way to break up the investigation. The second strength is that this story only takes place over a period of a couple of days, so there is a real sense of urgency that revs up the suspense. Another strength worth noting is the uniqueness of the story itself. Thrillers are a dime a dozen, but the fact that the protagonist, Steve Jobz, isn't a detective or even a private investigator as well as the unexpected method of the crimes adds a distinctive quality to a crowded genre.

I'll set my praises aside for a moment in order to address the book's weaknesses. The objectification of the female characters, as well as the ageism in regards to women in this book, is a bit too much for me. Almost every female that is mentioned in this book is described by her physical attractiveness, or lack thereof, and age. I see this a lot in stories, and it doesn't always bother me. However, I felt that this objectification in conjunction with a plethora of sexual innuendos and crude jokes detracted from the story. There are also a few technical errors scattered throughout the book such as extra spaces and confused punctuation. Due to the negatives mentioned above, this book is rated 3 out of 4 stars.

Thriller fans will enjoy this story unless they are averse to the explicit imageries of murder and violence, the autopsy process, vulgar language, or descriptions of sexual encounters. The Embalmer is a story that is suitable for adults but should be avoided by those who might be offended by the graphic content. From my humble perspective, the positives of this narrative far outweigh the negatives. It is a quick and enthralling read.

The Embalmer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for your review, and I can see that we are on the same page. It was truly an interesting read, but it certainly isn't a read for everyone. Thank you once again!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 11:36 Thank you for your review, and I can see that we are on the same page. It was truly an interesting read, but it certainly isn't a read for everyone. Thank you once again!
Thank you! I love sharing reading interests and reading experiences.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Indeed the plot is unique. It's the graphic content that has me hesitant. Your review is quite captivating. Thanks!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Cotwani wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 14:48 Indeed the plot is unique. It's the graphic content that has me hesitant. Your review is quite captivating. Thanks!
It was a but graphic, but the story is good.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I thought this book was fun. Don't think too much just go with the story and enjoy. The dialogue was funny, the glimpse in the killers life was awesome, and the ending was action packed. Thanks for the great review and happy I found another fan of this book!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I like murder mystery books and also quick reads. Will add this on to my list to read
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

This really does sound like a good read. I always love a good thriller to sink my teeth into. Great review :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Great review! The point you mentioned about objectifying female characters is something I also noticed, and I agree that in this book they are very prominent. I don't know whether that was intentional to set the tone of the book, since the killer himself is shown to be a pervert. Whatever the reason might be, I felt irritated at this. However, the tale was chilling, and I enjoyed reading and reviewing it. Thanks again for your review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's just quite ironic how the aspects that make a thriller right are the same ones that would turn reality into something that's wrong. I do hope justice and goodness eventually would prevail in this piece and in real life. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

This book sounds scary and sadistic. It is too graphic for my taste. Embalming people, while they are alive, makes me cringe.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I do hope that Miller and Jobz find this evil embalmer, locks him up and throw away the key. This is such a sad but intriguing tale. Thank you for your enjoyable and creative review of this book.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! Your opening paragraph really compelled me to know more! I love a good thriller, and it's fascinating when they show the murderer's perspective too. This seems like quite an original one.
The objectification of women is, unfortunately, very common. Hopefully, as we keep writing reviews and authors realize this is not appropriate, things will get better.
Your review is amazingly well written. You managed to capture all the important points of the novel in a few and engaging paragraphs. Thank you.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Sounds like a great plot, but I think that, even if I generally read this genre of book (and I don't), I would have a hard time getting through a book that objectifies women so thoroughly.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I watch shows such as NCIS, Law and Order: SVU, and Criminal Minds. Because of my experience with TV shows that have shown this kind of topic, I should be able to enjoy and immerse myself completely in The Embalmer. Thank you for the review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”