Review by BookReader+6 -- Peppermint Mocha Murder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review by BookReader+6 -- Peppermint Mocha Murder

Post by HollandBlue »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Peppermint Mocha Murder" by Pam Moll.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can Molly Brewster, the local cafe' owner, find out who killed Jim Grist, an award-winning fisherman, before the police arrest her for his murder? This is just one of the questions that need to be addressed in the Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll.

Molly is implicated in the murder because she finds the fisherman's body on the beach outside of her cafe'. She investigates the murder on her own with her sidekick, Snickers, her dog, uncovering various clues and suspects as the story evolves. Concurrently, the local deputies amass clues against Molly, and she has to prove her innocence.

Before the story starts, there is a 'Cast of Characters' list like Agatha Christie included in her novels. The point of view is from the main character, Molly, and doesn't change throughout the book. There are plenty of possible suspects, and numerous clues and red herrings. One of the most significant clues is Molly's allergy to mint.

There are some suspenseful scenes, as well as some humorous moments of banter between the characters. I especially liked the close relationship that Molly had with her grandmother, Granny Dee. Another aspect of the book that I liked was the use of coffee quotes at the beginning of each chapter, such as, "Behind every successful person is a substantial amount of coffee".

There is a brewing romance between Molly and Deputy Drew. This is an engaging side tale that develops as the story unwinds, or does it? All of the questions are answered in the last pages of the book. The final loose ends are tied up in the epilogue; after the epilogue, there are some recipes that are relevant to the story which is a nice touch.

I really enjoyed reading this story written in the style of traditional cozy mysteries. Anyone who enjoys a good whodunnit will like this book. There isn't any graphic violence, so I would recommend it for both teens and adults.

All in all, I found the book very entertaining and easy to read. Unfortunately, there were some editorial issues. There was uneven spacing between some words (apparently in order to make the margins straight), some singular words that should have been plural, and some errors with verb tense. Even though there were these problems, I still liked the story very much and would rate it a 3 out of 4 stars.

This story is only one in a group of books written by Pam Moll known as the 'Holidays are Murder Series'. I look forward to reading the next installment in this set!

Peppermint Mocha Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookReader+6's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Second review that has recommended this book to read. I love these types of books and will definitely add this one to my list. Thanks for the great review!
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

jcoad wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 21:05 Second review that has recommended this book to read. I love these types of books and will definitely add this one to my list. Thanks for the great review!
Enjoy your comments, and this book is a quick and fun read!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a good mystery. I'm curious where the cat on the cover fits in.
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 11:50 This sounds like a good mystery. I'm curious where the cat on the cover fits in.
There's a few cats mentioned in the book, but I think it's the stray Molly found. It is a good mystery. I hope you enjoy it!
(1466-1536)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Mysteries and mochas just happen to be two of my favorite things! Thanks for the review.
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Dael Reader wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:16 Mysteries and mochas just happen to be two of my favorite things! Thanks for the review.
This book is right up your alley! Heat up your favorite mocha, find a comfy seat, and enjoy reading this mystery!
(1466-1536)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love a good murder mystery whodunnit. My other love is coffee so this sounds like a perfect book for me!

Nice review :D
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Nice review. Sounds like a good book, I wonder how Molly goes about her investigation.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I wonder why Molly investigated the crime on her own (with Snickers, her dog) without asking for any help from the police station near her place. She got clues and suspects, but the local deputies amass clues against her. How could Molly prove herself innocent? This sparked my interest. I'll read on, to know more. Thanks for the great review.
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Julie Green wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 07:41 I love a good murder mystery whodunnit. My other love is coffee so this sounds like a perfect book for me!

Nice review :D
Thanks for commenting, I think you'll really like the book!
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:43 Nice review. Sounds like a good book, I wonder how Molly goes about her investigation.
If I tell you, it will give away the mystery! Enjoy reading, I hope you like the book, and thanks for commenting.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Dolor wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 17:39 I wonder why Molly investigated the crime on her own (with Snickers, her dog) without asking for any help from the police station near her place. She got clues and suspects, but the local deputies amass clues against her. How could Molly prove herself innocent? This sparked my interest. I'll read on, to know more. Thanks for the great review.
The police both help and hinder her which is one of the things that makes this book unique. Hope you enjoy reading it. (Not related to the review-I just want to let you know, I love the 'What word am I thinking of game?' that you started!
(1466-1536)
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Sounds like a fun book. Thank you for your informative and descriptive review. I will have to put this on my to read list.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Kareka88 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 13:37 Sounds like a fun book. Thank you for your informative and descriptive review. I will have to put this on my to read list.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Definitely a good book to add to your list.
(1466-1536)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”