Review by oge123 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oge123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oge123.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Review by oge123 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by oge123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

MacDowell is a work of fiction written by William H. Coles. The book has varieties of settings and motifs. Borrowing few lines from the book itself,
MacDowell is all about a failed surgeon who finds himself to make a new beginning with new perspectives and potentials.
The book produced mixed emotions. As I read, I developed anger, hatred and admiration for the character of Hiram, the protagonist, a multi-talented character. He was a surgeon, a musician and a mountain climber. The book is divided into two parts. The first part showed Hiram, a bad parent, an uncaring and difficult spouse, a selfish partner, a deceitful and manipulative leader and a murderer. It also presented Hiram's rise to fame, the climax of his achievements and his undoing. The second part of the book showed the renegade Hiram, angry and embittered by his predicament and his assumed ill-treatment, still arrogant and struggling to survive against all odds with his revenge plans. All his negative attitudes towards life and people changed when he met Maud. His anger against the society dissipated and he aimed only to prove that he was unjustly condemned.

The book is vast with different scintillating themes. Religion played a great role in the lives of the characters and in the development of the story. It was Maud's bible quotation that made Hiram retrace his footsteps. Similarly, religion helped Ann going. Although she contemplated suicide, she could not carry it out because her belief was against it. Egocentrism was also evident in the book. The protagonist's egocentric attitude was his undoing. He abandoned a friend to die. He made major life changing decisions for people without care as to their feelings or thoughts. The Tasha-Billie affair and the murder of Jeremy were very good examples. The theme of over-ambition was replayed severally in the book. Characters such as Paige, Perry, Micheal and Hiram were all driven by over-ambition. Paige nailed Hiram and helped put him behind bars because she wanted to prove that she was the best. There is also the theme of redefinition which made up the later part of the book. Hiram went out of his way to help people. The old Hiram would not have put himself in the harms way for another, but the new Hiram got exposed, caught and shot dead because he wanted to save someone he considered a friend.

I was in captivity and put in unbearable suspense as William slowly but expertly unravel the character of Hiram in all his glory and downfall. The grammar was chosen carefully and maturely. There were minor errors noticed. The language the writer used to write about Willie Brown got me confused and alienated.

I rate MacDowell 4 out of 4 stars because it is captivating, adventurous and filled with suspense and therefore, will appeal to individuals that love adventures and crime stories.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like oge123's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I read your review OGE and also I have read the reviews of many other members of the team till now. And one thing I noted is the newest that you have mentioned Sr.McDowell was a musician also in addition to a surgeon and mountain climber. Other members have written him the doctor and hill climber only. Thanks for your insightful review attempt.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I'm still deciding whether or not to read the book, and I'm glad the editing is okay. I'm just not sure if I like the premise of the story.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

The protagonist Hiram seems to lead a tumultuous life because of his arrogance and ego. I think I'm going to read this, I'm just concerned Cox it seems lengthy!? Thanks for your review!
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

A very insightful review indeed. You went further and summed up the book beautifully. I partucularly liked how you highlighted on the specific assossiations which enriched your review. Good job.
R Benedicta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-benedicta.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by R Benedicta »

McDowell is a novel that explores the cost of ambition and the toll it takes on our personal lives.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

"McDowell" is a deeply insightful novel that delves into the profound implications of relentless ambition. It compellingly explores the steep price we pay in our personal lives when ambition overrules everything else, vividly depicting the emotional toll and the ensuing struggle for redemption.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”