Review by Shrabastee -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Review by Shrabastee -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Instead of merely narrating the crime and the following investigational procedure, O’Hare gives us unique insights into the life and psychology of each detective. The readers get a clear idea of the detectives’ backgrounds, their flaws, and their positions in the group relative to others. Finding out how each of them is perceived by the other group members makes the characters more realistic to the readers.
I totally agree! I like knowing how the characters minds work and what makes them tick. I think creating multidimensional and realistic characters enriches any story, even if the focus is on action or intrigue.
O’Hare touches a very common, but very sensitive issue in his novel that is gender discrimination in the workplace. The way Stewart was humiliated and even bullied by her senior and male colleagues in her previous job is plain appalling. And yet, many of the working women can identify with such daily ordeals. I was glad to see that Inspector Sheehan’s department took her in and valued her abilities as a person and did not objectify her.
Unfortunately, this is very common. I appreciate that the author included this aspect, it should be discussed and it adds realism to the story.

Seems like the perfect book for me! I love mysteries and this one goes straight to my shelves. Thanks!
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

The review was interesting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”