Review by Shrabastee -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Concealment" by Rose Edmunds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been in that place where every single thing in your life seems to have gone awry, and life itself is rapidly spiraling out of control? Your trusted friends and colleagues have started to question your credibility; your confidence level is fast approaching zero! Well, that is the sort of predicament Amy Robinson faces in Concealment by Rose Edmunds. To make matters worse, Amy now begins to question even her sanity. Moreover, the façade of apparent normalcy she maintains to conceal her shady past is about to be shattered as well.

This psychological thriller starts with Amy, a partner at Pearson Malone, constantly being dominated by her obnoxious boss Smithies. As an important client of the farm is on the verge of closing a deal, Amy suspects some serious tax fraud. When Isabel, a charming and competent employee of her department is discovered dead and Isabel’s boyfriend is charged for the murder, Amy believes the root of the troubles goes deeper than just a feud between lovers. Do her suspicions have some ground? Or is she being overly paranoid? Caught in the turmoil, how would she protect her own secrets?

The questionable sanity of the protagonist puts the story in a strange light. The readers find it difficult to take her at face value, especially as she claims to see and talk to a younger version of her. Throughout the book, we never know whether something is real or just a figment of Amy’s often delusional mind. Despite Smithies’ favorite catchphrase “perception is reality”, Amy herself cannot be sure if her discoveries are actually real.

Edmunds did a superb work sketching Amy’s character. As a partner of a prestigious tax farm, she must have possessed some good qualities. But her self-doubt, coupled with her drinking problem and her secret past, gives her opponents ammunition to target her credibility. Strangely enough, she shows strong resilience, bouncing back after each humiliating comment, each backstab and carrying on. Constantly in battle with her own self, whether she will succumb to the pressure or will rise a confident woman depends much on her own choices.

The plot took some time to develop. But once it built its pace, the rest was a delightful journey with layers of mystery and twists after twists. As the book advanced, I felt that every person, living or dead, is hiding some secret or other. It was thrilling to find so many unexpected secrets unraveling one by one.

I can think of only one negative point in the book. The first few chapters contained too many technical details and tax jargon. I read it without comprehending much, but later when I realized that those parts held important clues and were imperative to the story, I had to go back and re-read. I wonder if those initial parts could have been made a little easier for the laypersons like me.

In spite of that, the book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. There were a couple of minor typing errors in the book which did not detract from the reading experience. I would recommend it to all thriller-lovers, even the younger readers since there are no violent scenes. Also, Amy’s resilient nature might boost the morale of those who find themselves in insurmountable situations, as it did for me.

Concealment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I think this is the best review written by you. The choice of words and the articulation is really appreciable. The story of Amy reminds me of the film 'A beautiful mind' where the character cannot differentiate between real and imaginary. Thanks for your detailed review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 07:45 I think this is the best review written by you. The choice of words and the articulation is really appreciable. The story of Amy reminds me of the film 'A beautiful mind' where the character cannot differentiate between real and imaginary. Thanks for your detailed review.
Wow! Thanks for your appreciation. I am sad to say I haven't yet watched that film, though I have been meaning to for ages!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We all have our own set of weaknesses and strengths. We could never really please everyone, especially those who are just after our flaws. However, there's always something to appreciate in someone if we would only take the time to look. Everyone deserves a chance at redemption, and I do hope that the protagonist (as well as all of us) would get to have that. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Espie wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 23:01 We all have our own set of weaknesses and strengths. We could never really please everyone, especially those who are just after our flaws. However, there's always something to appreciate in someone if we would only take the time to look. Everyone deserves a chance at redemption, and I do hope that the protagonist (as well as all of us) would get to have that. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Thanks for the comment, Espie! I absolutely agree with you that we cannot please everyone and sometimes we just have to be ourselves and take pride in our own achievements, rather than letting others berate us. I am glad that Amy rises up to be an assertive woman against all odds. I hope we all can do that!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The plot took some time to develop. But once it built its pace, the rest was a delightful journey with layers of mystery and twists after twists.
Having read and reviewed the book I absolutely concur! Your review concisely captures the book as it is. Thank you!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

How refreshing to see a psychological thriller with no violent scenes! I feel sympathetic for Amy’s predicament and her confusion. I’d like to see for myself her resilient nature and how the story turns out. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 10:11
The plot took some time to develop. But once it built its pace, the rest was a delightful journey with layers of mystery and twists after twists.
Having read and reviewed the book I absolutely concur! Your review concisely captures the book as it is. Thank you!
Thanks for your kind words!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

stacie k wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 20:37 How refreshing to see a psychological thriller with no violent scenes! I feel sympathetic for Amy’s predicament and her confusion. I’d like to see for myself her resilient nature and how the story turns out. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks Stacie for your comment. Well, I won't spoil it for you, but the story indeed takes a twisted path. Sometimes you will feel just as lost as Amy, sometimes you will feel like shouting to warn her when she is about to commit a mistake. I could relate with her very well.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I reviewed this book too! I think we have similar taste. Anyway, I completely agree with your assessment. Amy's character is amazingly well-developed but the book can take a little while to pick up speed and there's too much financial terminology that can be confusing.
I also liked that the novel raised questions about child neglect but I won't give away spoilers if anyone happens to read the comments section.
Thanks for your review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

A well-developed protagonist and questionable perceptions of reality? Your detailed review has got me very interested in this book!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”