Review by jcoad -- First Family by Alice Langholt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Review by jcoad -- First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by jcoad »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Family" by Alice Langholt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is not about the first family you are thinking about. There are no politics in this story. First Family by Alice Langholt takes us back to the original first family, Adam and Eve. In an intense 148 pages, this book will keep you entranced as you go from creation to devastation.

The book begins with Adam opening his eyes and taking in the wonders all around him. Mesmerized by everything he encounters, Adam wanders the garden alone. A surprise awaits Adam one morning in the form of Eve lying next to him. Eve has an encounter with a snake that leads to a forbidden bite. Cast out of the garden, they are on their own for the first time.

Adam and Eve learn how to survive. Using their creativity, they establish a thriving homestead. The arrival of their first son is a surprise. Cain is the center of their lives. Abel quickly follows Cain into the world. The family falls into a comfortable routine of daily life. The years pass and the boys grow up. Cain develops a green thumb. The animals love Abel. Like all brothers, they play, they bicker, and they fight. Cain has a temper. Jealous of Abel and angry at Adam, Cain decides to leave. If you know the story, you know what happens next. If you don’t, I’m not going to ruin it for you.

It is difficult to find anything negative to say about this book. There are a couple of times when the story is a little slow. The PDF format is annoying, but that has nothing to do with the story. Once or twice I would have liked more detail.

The story is told through the eyes of each person. The personification of each character is perfect. You have a clear picture of each person in your head that never wavers. The thoughts, actions, and feelings each person displays fit the moments perfectly. I was blown away by the creativity of Eve describing her first pregnancy. I was amazed at how simple, pure dialogue could drive such suspense and tension. There was not a wasted word in this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was brilliant. In a quiet, simple way, this book delivers a truly heartfelt story. Do not avoid this book if you already know the story. It will heighten the tension as the story unfolds. Do not avoid this book if you are not a fan of religious books. This is a story from the Bible, but you are not hit over the head with religion in this book. I recommend this book to all ages and genders.

First Family
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jcoad's review? Post a comment saying so!
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I recently read this book. I was curious to see how the author would navigate the tricky territory of telling this story and I was pleasantly surprised on their own unique take.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Italiansweety1982 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 11:38 I recently read this book. I was curious to see how the author would navigate the tricky territory of telling this story and I was pleasantly surprised on their own unique take.
I appreciate the comment and happy to see you also enjoyed the book.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Thanks for the review! I never would have thought to pick up this book before you mentioned it, but I am definitely interested now.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

BriennaiJ wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 15:14 Thanks for the review! I never would have thought to pick up this book before you mentioned it, but I am definitely interested now.
A short, fast read that is well worth it. Some of the best characters I have read in a long time. Imagine Eve being literally the FIRST person that was ever pregnant and watching her and Adam trying to figure out what was happening. Sounds so simple but it was just so much fun to read.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

jcoad wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 19:21
I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was brilliant. In a quiet, simple way, this book delivers a truly heartfelt story.
In today's cacophony, a "truly heartfelt story" is the need of the time. Looking forward to getting a copy of this book. Thanks for the insightful review!
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:51
jcoad wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 19:21
I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was brilliant. In a quiet, simple way, this book delivers a truly heartfelt story.
In today's cacophony, a "truly heartfelt story" is the need of the time. Looking forward to getting a copy of this book. Thanks for the insightful review!
You won't be disappointed, thanks for stopping by!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

This Adam and Eve story sounds like it has a twist to it. Did can really leave?
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It sounds like a great read that took over from where the Bible left off about Adam and Eve. I would like to learn more about Cain's jealousy over his brother. Thanks for the enchanting review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story is very interesting. I consider the plot of this story close to the book " Who Told You that You were Necked ." I feel comfortable with this format. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This is a story from the Bible, but you are not hit over the head with religion in this book.
This is good to know. The premise does sound interesting, and it seems like the book offers an intriguing perspective that could potentially make the "first family" relatable to readers.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Oulababe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 07:02 This Adam and Eve story sounds like it has a twist to it. Did can really leave?
You will have to read the book to find out. A quick simple read that is just a great story.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 08:16 It sounds like a great read that took over from where the Bible left off about Adam and Eve. I would like to learn more about Cain's jealousy over his brother. Thanks for the enchanting review.
This is a great quick read. Just "feeling" the tension building between the brothers as the story proceeds is great. The subtle tension building is what really drives this book and keeps you reading.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 09:14 The story is very interesting. I consider the plot of this story close to the book " Who Told You that You were Necked ." I feel comfortable with this format. Thanks for this great review.
I think basically same set of characters but the "necked" book I think is more about religion, this is just a straight interpretation of the Adam and Eve story. It is very cool.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. I also loved the book and I thought it was great that it did not preach to its readers :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”