Review by Rosemary Khathibe -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Review by Rosemary Khathibe -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois Benarroch follows the life of Guillermo, a 50-year-old Spanish writer who was known as a jew since he was 8 years old. He was born in Lucena and lived in Pereire Boulevard, Paris. On his journey as a writer, Guillermo had published seven novels. Two of them were named The Birthday Thief and Café Voltaire. In the story, he effortlessly gave a quick summary of some of his books. For instance, there was a writer who woke up every day as one of his own characters.

The book started with Guillermo's first visit to Jerusalem in 2010. Since one of his novels was a bestseller, he got invited to the writer's festival. On his way there, he met a woman named Orito, who claimed to be his mother. This came as a surprise because his mother had died two years ago. He was also shocked that Orito, who looked a lot like her (his mother), knew the secret name he had never told anyone. As if that was not enough, a woman had a pleasant surprise for him. But if she was truly his mother, where had she been all these years? How did she lose him?

When reading Andalusian in Jerusalem, which was classified as other fiction, I came across features of several genres, such as non-fiction, historical fiction and science fiction. For example, there was a technique used to retrieve the memory that water kept in its molecules. The events recalled through this method dated back to two thousand years ago.

One of the recurring themes in the book was religion, which was widely discussed in the manuscript that Guillermo got from Charly. It included events of 1492 that took place in Lucena, Seville, Jerusalem, and Tétouan, where Jews were forced to convert to Christianity. The manuscript also contained fifteen poems and small stories, like Shmuel's life as a robber, Teresa's prayer as a Christian, Yehuda as a poet, Samuel's thoughts as a priest, and Alan scolding his dead father.

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the book. Guillermo's friendship with Charly was very well documented. Their conversation was humorous: "They're like the Americans, who after they've spent half an hour chatting with you begin to tell you all about their medical problems."

The book was also an exemplary piece of realism. Even though it was written in the first person's perspective, I was able to learn a lot about other characters, in this case, Charly. Like other writers in real life, he struggled in his journey and had published twenty books with no bestseller.

The author was able to distribute his thinking in the kinds of sentences that had a significant literary merit. The story flawlessly serves as an inspiration for those who want to embark on the journey of writing books. It contains tips for writers. Again, the suspense and the mystery in the book had my eyes glued to the pages. Some events were not only surprising but also scary: the street that existed only at night.

The book seemed to be professionally edited and proofread. Excluding errors from the manuscript, which had been explained in the translator's note, I spotted few missing commas and only one doubled word. Consequently, I am awarding Andalusian in Jerusalem 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to people who want to be writers and to lovers of historical fiction. It will also appeal to those who love poems, which were very easy to read and interpret. However, this book will not appeal to people who might find the manuscript's critics about Christianity offensive.

Andalusian in Jerusalem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Rosemary Khathibe's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story of the book sounds interesting and unique. However, the religious element makes this book off-putting for me. But you explained every thing very well. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Wow, this book has so much going on and you captured it effortlessly! Great job on your summary :) I might give this one a shot just for the writing tips.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This definitely seems like an interesting book that incorporates so many different types of writing into one. It doesn't seem like a book that I would be interested in necessarily, but your review makes me want to try it out!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Wow. I must say your review is incredibly well-written. The story seems to contain a number of plots and it sounds sort of complex to me but you have so simply laid everything out. Beautiful review!
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

A superb review. Apparently this is not a very easy or simple book. I am about to start on it and have the feeling I will enjoy it.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds like just a cool "story". They are a nice change of past from the usual action or thriller novel. Thanks for a great review and I'll add this one to my list.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Sarah Tariq wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 09:18 The story of the book sounds interesting and unique. However, the religious element makes this book off-putting for me. But you explained every thing very well. Thanks for this great review.
Thanks for your comment Sarah. Since I'm a Christian, the critics kind of shaked me too. But all in all, the book was indeed enjoyable.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 09:37 Wow, this book has so much going on and you captured it effortlessly! Great job on your summary :) I might give this one a shot just for the writing tips.
Thanks for a compliment Bonie. And yes, the book contains really good tips, you won't be disappointed.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

BriennaiJ wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 15:36 This definitely seems like an interesting book that incorporates so many different types of writing into one. It doesn't seem like a book that I would be interested in necessarily, but your review makes me want to try it out!
You should really try it out, the complexity of the fictions and themes is what makes it more enjoyable. Thanks for passing by.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Ijeoma Kikelomo wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 16:06 Wow. I must say your review is incredibly well-written. The story seems to contain a number of plots and it sounds sort of complex to me but you have so simply laid everything out. Beautiful review!
Thanks for a compliment Ijeoma. The book is indeed complex, but in a satisfying manner.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

ea_anthony wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 16:53 A superb review. Apparently this is not a very easy or simple book. I am about to start on it and have the feeling I will enjoy it.
You will really enjoy it, the humor, mystery, and literary merit attached to the book will keep you hooked. Thanks for your comment.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:06 Sounds like just a cool "story". They are a nice change of past from the usual action or thriller novel. Thanks for a great review and I'll add this one to my list.
You should really read it, it's a very nice book. Thanks for passing by.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a neat story. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

LaurenHaupt wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 22:13 Sounds like a neat story. Great review!
Thanks for your comment Lauren.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”