Review by Sahar Majid -- The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Review by Sahar Majid -- The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

Post by Sahar Majid »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin" by M.E. Hembroff.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A fascinating children's mystery, The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin (a sequel to Bess’s Magical Garden) by M. E. Hembroff, takes us on a journey filled with curiosity and excitement. Often intertwining with the daily life of a young school-goer and her friends, this book is relatable and intriguing for the age group of readers that it was written for (7 and above).

The story is in the first person narrative by the protagonist, Bess Silver, and begins by documenting her move, after the death of her father, to Pineview from the city in the summer of 1954. She worries about settling into her new school. Fortunately, she has Megan Skye, her cousin and close friend, to help her through it. Soon, Bess’s mind is preoccupied with the hidden cabin Megan’s father found in the Skye household when doing kitchen renovations. She begins to see startlingly real visions of the previous occupants of this puzzling cabin, mainly a woman in an old-fashioned dress. A number of unanswered questions arise and so the readers join Bess to investigate who exactly this woman was and why Bess was having dreams about her. She does this through her own visions, the various possessions found abandoned in the cabin and help from her friends, family, and the townsfolk.

Although the plot-line of this story definitely seems promising and intriguing, I, unfortunately, have more criticisms of this book than I do praise. Bess is a good protagonist who is loved by everyone around her, but at times the emotions I felt that should have been seen were only hinted at rather than elaborated upon. Although I realize this book is for children and that its premise is a mystery and not necessarily Bess’s personal life, I have to consider how much the author has repeatedly mentioned certain aspects of Bess’s past. This makes me think that the intention was to invoke sympathy within the readers, but it does so only mildly and possibly not to the effect that the author had wished. A bias of mine can, however, be a factor in this judgment. Being an adult who has read complex novels and who really emphasizes on emotions, it is possible that I no longer understand that basic emotions are necessary for younger children to comprehend and relate to. Another possibility may be that the author has a matter-of-fact writing style that I do not particularly admire. Further criticism would be that the dialogues of the characters do not at all reflect the different timelines in the book, and it sometimes seemed like everything was happening in the same time period. In addition, something that bothered me quite a bit was how one scene or dialogue would suddenly change topics with no relation to what was happening earlier, making them seem repetitive and inorganic. An example of this could be seen in these lines by a character in Bess’s school:
“Some of us are playing cowboys and Indians. Do you want to join us?” Jeff opened his thermos. “I have chores and homework after school.”
This can make the writing seem disconnected. One more thing I would like to mention is that there is no change of the font or any other sort of indication when the narrative moves from Bess to the diaries that she is reading, and this can be confusing for some.

That being said, there are definitely some good points in this story. The content is not too descriptive and so is very unlikely to bore children. The minor descriptions that are provided aid in setting the mood and the scene very well, also occasionally providing cute and vivid descriptions of some characters. Bess’s character is determined, focused, and hardworking, not only when it comes to the mystery but schoolwork as well and I do believe that these aspects set her up to be a good role model and perhaps even inspiring for young readers. Her issues, although hardly explained, are still realistic and reflective of her time. I really appreciate that the author did not make her too perfect. She is more human which is something I always look for in a book. I also admire the author for mentioning different aspects of life (death, remarriage, etc.) in a children's book in the first place. I think they are important to mention so that many of the readers who are going through similar things do not feel alone. The sentiments Bess expresses are also relatable, especially over the little things such as how writing keeps her jumbled thoughts in order or her minor jealously over children who get good grades without even trying. The older characters also seem to be going through their own phases of life, such as marriage, children, arthritis, etc.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars, and would recommend it to parents with young children who like mystery books that do not contain too many descriptions. I do not, however, recommend it to older people who have the same preferences as I do. I gave it 2 points less because of the spelling mistakes I found and the somewhat predictable and anticlimactic ending. This book definitely has a lot of potential and is interesting, but could be a bit more engaging.

The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sahar Majid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I was really looking forward to reading the book and learn more about the woman in Bess's vision, but the fact that the ending is predictable and anticlimactic makes me think otherwise. Enchanting and helpful review!
Sahar Majid

Post by Sahar Majid »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 06:27 I was really looking forward to reading the book and learn more about the woman in Bess's vision, but the fact that the ending is predictable and anticlimactic makes me think otherwise. Enchanting and helpful review!
Thank you for taking the time out to read this! It's really appreciated.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Too bad to have marks deducted on spelling errors and an anticlimactic ending! Thank you for the honest and thorough review.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. It sounds like an interesting book, although I do agree with your feelings about the lack of in-depth emotion. I feel that although it is a children's book, the way it portrays emotions would have helped children learn more about emotions themselves. It would have been better if the author emphasised emotions a little bit more.
Sahar Majid

Post by Sahar Majid »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 13:49 Too bad to have marks deducted on spelling errors and an anticlimactic ending! Thank you for the honest and thorough review.
Yeah it is quite unfortunate. Especially since the premise of the novel was so fascinating.
Sahar Majid

Post by Sahar Majid »

Allyseria wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 18:21 Thank you for your review. It sounds like an interesting book, although I do agree with your feelings about the lack of in-depth emotion. I feel that although it is a children's book, the way it portrays emotions would have helped children learn more about emotions themselves. It would have been better if the author emphasised emotions a little bit more.
Exactly. I often feel like many people think that children aren't capable of understanding emotions or only experience basic ones themselves which is so untrue. Half the time I just don't think they have the vocabulary or knowledge to express themselves the way they want and that's probably the fault of the people around them. This is why I appreciate Hayao Miyazaki's animation so much; he shows children emotions that they can't necessarily put into words and although I absolutely love Disney movies I have to agree with Miyazaki when he says that their emotions are too simplistic. Even though I do think that's changing. Inside out, for example, was an absolute masterpiece.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

You made it sound so intriguing. But I agree: the plot did seem like it had promise. Too bad the negatives were a bit too much. The disconnected elements in the writing and the presence of errors are definite deal breakers for me. Thank you for this insightful review!
Sahar Majid

Post by Sahar Majid »

inaramid wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 19:51 You made it sound so intriguing. But I agree: the plot did seem like it had promise. Too bad the negatives were a bit too much. The disconnected elements in the writing and the presence of errors are definite deal breakers for me. Thank you for this insightful review!
You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book does sound intriguing! Like you, I also appreciate realistic/multi-dimensional characters in the books I read, so this is a plus for me. Thank you for the enlightening review!
Sahar Majid

Post by Sahar Majid »

gen_g wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 10:36 This book does sound intriguing! Like you, I also appreciate realistic/multi-dimensional characters in the books I read, so this is a plus for me. Thank you for the enlightening review!
You're welcome! Thank you for reading and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”