Review by NuelUkah -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Review by NuelUkah -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by NuelUkah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ripcord Recovery" by T.T. Sawyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“It’s not about how long anyone has been sober, it’s about being happily sober today.”
— T.T. Sawyer
Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer is “...a message in a bottle for addicts struggling to hang on...” This book is non-fiction and a memoir of the author.

Sawyer was a chronic alcohol and drug addict. He was addicted to whatever he could get his hands on, be it alcohol, heroin, cocaine, etc. Though he was not a fighter or abuser, never jailed, yet addiction cost him a lot, including getting kicked out of the University Honors program. The funny thing is that he was an addiction counselor. So how did he fall into this pit of addiction? He sobered up in 1987, was clean and sober till 2010 (22 years) during which he got two degrees - Bachelor of Science in Social Sciences and Masters of Science in Business, got married twice and sired two wonderful children, had three careers. Then he relapsed and got arrested for public intoxication in 2012. In 2013, after another year, he did it again, and this drove him to eagerly find a solution to his conundrum. I think the solution to being free from addiction first begins with a willing determination to forgo the addiction and abstain.

At age 22, Sawyer rejected all drugs prescribed to him. At age 47, he had variety of medicines prescribed to him by different doctors, yet none proved any positive effect. He acknowledged that just talking, prayer and meditation won’t be enough to change him. Addiction wounds the soul. It’s like a soul cancer that eats up the individual from the inside. What addicts really need is healing of the soul. That’s what Sawyer was searching for because he had gotten to the bottom, he was losing his family and everything.

Sawyer got clues to his survival formula from different fields such as philosophy, poetry, physics, chemistry, even movies. Though he had the zeal, he had one major problem — lack of will power to resist — that was his dilemma. Science cannot give one the will power to say, “No!” He knew from his experiences that he was his own worst enemy. So he sought for a path forward and the power to get there. He was determined to break through this snare of addiction that was pulling him into the valley of death. The rehab could not help his situation. He needed a permanent way out of a feeling that could still come up after two decades without even a drink.

Somehow, Sawyer came across medical marijuana and began to research on it. He discovered it was used to treat several ailments in the past. So he told his doctors and sponsors about it, but they didn’t approve. Nevertheless, he took the unknown road as he was on the verge of losing everything and nothing was working for him. What other option did he have?

Sawyer neglected to explain the concept of medical marijuana. It's crucial to clarify this issue of medical marijuana. On the subject matter, Wikipedia explains,
Medical cannabis or medical marijuana is cannabis and cannabinoids that are recommended by doctors for their patients. The use of cannabis as medicine has not been rigorously tested due to production restrictions and other governmental regulations. Limited evidence suggests cannabis can reduce nausea and vomiting during chemotherapy, improve appetite in people with HIV/AIDS, and reduce chronic pain and muscle spasms.
It is imperative to know that the difference between ‘medical marijuana’ and ‘natural marijuana’ is that the psychoactive component known as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is the chemical substance that changes brain functions and results in emotional and behavioral alterations, is extracted so that one could consume the processed marijuana without getting intoxicated. In this light, I think, Sawyer’s Ripcord Recovery makes sense. He didn’t smoke it; he vaporized it. This gives his work good credibility. I won’t be mistaken to say Sawyer is a genius.

Sawyer’s idea of using medical marijuana cum meditation exercise is just creative and amazing. Though Sawyer’s approach may be somewhat awkward and illegal in some way, it worked for him, as goes the saying, “one man’s food is another man’s poison.” Sawyer stated, “God invented marijuana. Maybe this plant isn’t the demon seed I was raised to believe it was.” I concur to that. Marijuana was also created by God. God gave mankind the herbs of the field for consumption. The fact that marijuana is being abused does not make it evil, but the manner in which it is used. It is said that when the purpose of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable. At some point, Sawyer was scared being the patient and his own doctor. Based on Sawyer’s Ripcord Recovery , I think it’s high time the government researches further on marijuana and discover the good it can offer to mankind rather than just declare it illegal.

I love the way Sawyer asked himself curious questions which helped him to develop his theory. I like how he tried to figure it all-out using Einstein’s formula and how he used business terms to gain core understanding. I also like the fact that Sawyer provided guidelines and cautions for his method of cannabis use. He clearly stated that he gets medical marijuana legally and avoids breaking the law. Above all, I love the fact that Sawyer acknowledged the personality and role of God, despite all he went through.

However, I noticed few typographical errors such as wrong spelling (e.g. endocannabanoids instead of endocannabinoids) and a missing word. Sawyer’s negligence to state the extraction of the THC component from natural marijuana for medical purpose is what I would call a negligent error, because it would have greatly minimized criticism as readers would have a proper understanding of the concept and approach. Notwithstanding, these errors do not diminish the credibility of Sawyer’s Ripcord Recovery .

Addicts seeking for hope and a way out may find this book really helpful, either to use Sawyer’s ripcord or to find their own ripcord. Likewise, those who would like to increase their knowledge base and help others will appreciate this book. Medical practitioners and scientists could develop Sawyer’s approach to improve the science world and provide hope for addicts. On this note, I give Sawyer’s Ripcord Recovery a 4 out of 4 stars . The book has a perfect end. Sawyer has been sober for over four years now and is currently a successful corporate executive having been with the same company for over 20 years (in good standing).

Are you an addict?
Do you know any addict you would like to help out of that pit?
Are you curious about the mystery of addiction and what addicts go through?
Are you going through some tough situations that seem to be getting worse each day and you ask yourself, “where is God?”
Then you need to get this book. Quite a lot loaded in this small-big book. You don’t necessarily have to be an addict to get this book. Ripcord Recovery is an epitome of knowledge that will expose you to some mysteries, not only on addiction, but virtually whatever you are going through. I strongly recommend this book to all.

P.S.: T.T. Sawyer is the pseudonym of the author. All other facts stated in the book remain true.

Ripcord Recovery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NuelUkah's review? Post a comment saying so!
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for a great review. Unfortunately this book does not appeal to me, but I am glad you enjoyed it
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I'm glad the author's approach worked for him, just the same way conventional ways work for others. I think before the method is clinically tested, recovering addicts maybe jumping from the frying pan into the fire, if let loose with marijuana!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can't believe this man! He was kicked out from the University Honors degree, does he have any idea how lucky he is even to make it to one. In my eyes, I see a man who had every opportunity but gave away for his addiction. This is definitely a good book. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

trajoe1206 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 19:47 Thanks for a great review. Unfortunately this book does not appeal to me, but I am glad you enjoyed it
Thank you, Tracey. Yes, it doesn't appeal to most people.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

Cotwani wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 00:31 I'm glad the author's approach worked for him, just the same way conventional ways work for others. I think before the method is clinically tested, recovering addicts maybe jumping from the frying pan into the fire, if let loose with marijuana!
Yes, obviously. Sawyer even had to subject himself to doctors after his discovery to avoid the frying pan-to-fire effect.
Thanks for your comment.

NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 01:29 I can't believe this man! He was kicked out from the University Honors degree, does he have any idea how lucky he is even to make it to one. In my eyes, I see a man who had every opportunity but gave away for his addiction. This is definitely a good book. Thank you for your review!
Yeah, true. Addiction is such a bad thing. I've never seen it at this peak before. But he was able to find a way out. Good for him.
Thank you for stopping by.

Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Cotwani wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 00:31 I'm glad the author's approach worked for him, just the same way conventional ways work for others. I think before the method is clinically tested, recovering addicts maybe jumping from the frying pan into the fire, if let loose with marijuana!
I could not agree more.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thank you for your comprehensive and interesting review! I hope that this book will help someone.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Interesting review and viewpoint. Perhaps the plant does have some benefits that one day the human race may be able to use responsibly and in an ethical way. When extremely large financial gains seem to be a strong motivator for encouraging something I have to wonder about the real benefits.
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 09:23 Thank you for your comprehensive and interesting review! I hope that this book will help someone.
I hope so too. Thank you for your comment.

NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

Britty01 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 09:54 Interesting review and viewpoint. Perhaps the plant does have some benefits that one day the human race may be able to use responsibly and in an ethical way. When extremely large financial gains seem to be a strong motivator for encouraging something I have to wonder about the real benefits.
O yes! That's just the problem — money. Well, the government can only minimize the abuse, but cannot totally stop the abuse.
Thanks for your comment.

Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Amen to this:
"Sawyer stated, “God invented marijuana. Maybe this plant isn’t the demon seed I was raised to believe it was.” I concur to that. Marijuana was also created by God. God gave mankind the herbs of the field for consumption. The fact that marijuana is being abused does not make it evil, but the manner in which it is used. It is said that when the purpose of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable. At some point, Sawyer was scared being the patient and his own doctor. Based on Sawyer’s Ripcord Recovery , I think it’s high time the government researches further on marijuana and discover the good it can offer to mankind rather than just declare it illegal."

I like how profound your review is and you made me curious to check this out. The memoir of this author is something else as it ain't easy to resist the addiction to alcohol and drugs. Im amazed at his level of determination to find the way out.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Sawyer seems to have had a very hard time with addiction. I love that he created his own solution. That is so inspiring.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I admire people who are able to make it through their circumstances and even live and thrive enough to tell their tale. However, there are reasons why some things are called illegal. Until such time these things are already deemed legal, I think it is but apt to consider such as what they still are.

Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”