Review by ea_anthony -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by ea_anthony -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by ea_anthony »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater

The Warramunga’s War is a book that reads fairly well, if one ignores the French words and phrases that pop up every once in a while. This is a bit of a surprise considering it is Greg Kater’s first novel. There is a nice kind of balance to the reading, as at no time does Mr. Kater try to overdo or do too much. I was a bit skeptical about the war part of the novel; however my fears were mostly unfounded. Same with the spy part, the novel never goes too technical, just the right amount, to allow a good flow.

Interestingly, there is a nice dose of humour interspersed throughout the book. The comic relief breaks in nicely from time to time. The pacing of this book is like the reading, as it moves along quite effortlessly. Greg Kater’s writing style is quite simple in a brusque way, which is not offensive, but rather quaint. The writing ends up flowing along in a natural rhythm. The characterization as with the overall creative mood of this novel is innocuously done. Jamie and Jacko (who has Warramunga ancestry) are the main protagonists and are likable.

The characterization simply supports the story and does no more. The characters to a large extent are somewhat forgettable, which ordinarily should have been a minus, however this is not so, as the characters nicely support the plotting. They do their bit and fade out though somehow enriching the story.

Location wise, Egypt is always a nice setting for any story because of its ancient history and tourist attractions. In the second half of the novel, the scene setting moves to Australia; we are almost given a working tour here. Greg Kater does not depend much on the sights and sounds to help his story. Neither does he take too much nor more than is adequate from the war period time of the story; rather, summary of events during the war are chronicled in a diary-like way.

However, this is a wartime spy thriller; action scenes are served, but in measured doses. A mini-theme explored was that of war widows. I found it sad that widows of Officers would be stranded in combat locations during the war. For a war thriller, there is also a fair amount of romance in this story, lots of boy meets girl and matchmaking. The romance which pops up intermittently really helps to soften the overall mood, which is good. There are also some quite unexpected twists and a few turns.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, which is truly well and deservedly earned. The book is well-edited and has almost no errors to speak of. This novel is recommended to any and everyone who enjoys a good read.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like ea_anthony's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I read this book and enjoyed the Australia portion better than the spy story in Egypt. I felt that part ended with a whimper after consuming the first half of the book. Thanks for the summary and great review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The fact that there is a little bit of romance and humour in the book piqued my interest. I will add it on my to-read list. Intriguing and enjoyable review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

A book with a good combination of romance, humor and trips to different places sounds interesting. I was considering this book thoroughly about war. Albeit, it contains much more. Thanks for nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like spy thrillers, but war sometimes confuses me. This one probably isn't for me.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I loved this review.. It reflects the essence of the book very well.. I have also read and enjoyed this book. I absolutely agree with your points. Thanks!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I like that there is a nice dose of humour in the book. No matter the genre, I feel like there should be at least one funny moment :lol: It's too bad that the characterisation is a bit simple though.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A wartime spy thriller filled with a little bit of romance filled with humor in different locations sounds like a good read.
Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

The French words that pop up would be a huge distraction for me. While I don't enjoy war stories, I appreciate your insightful review. nice review.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Shrabastee wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 04:04 I loved this review.. It reflects the essence of the book very well.. I have also read and enjoyed this book. I absolutely agree with your points. Thanks!
Thanks a lot for the positive comment; it was an easy and enjoyable book to read.
Last edited by ea_anthony on 01 Oct 2018, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:09 I read this book and enjoyed the Australia portion better than the spy story in Egypt. I felt that part ended with a whimper after consuming the first half of the book. Thanks for the summary and great review!
I really do appreciate your comment; funny enough I preferred the Egyptian setting a bit better. Well different strokes for different folks. Thank you.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:09 I read this book and enjoyed the Australia portion better than the spy story in Egypt. I felt that part ended with a whimper after consuming the first half of the book. Thanks for the summary and great review!
Come to think of it, you are a bit right about the whimper and Jacko just left his girl behind.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 08:07 The fact that there is a little bit of romance and humour in the book piqued my interest. I will add it on my to-read list. Intriguing and enjoyable review!
Thanks for your kind words. The humour was kind of captivating, appearing in the easy and flowing banters of the characters every now and then.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 09:20 A book with a good combination of romance, humor and trips to different places sounds interesting. I was considering this book thoroughly about war. Albeit, it contains much more. Thanks for nice review.
Yes, considering there is the word war in the title. What really got me was the easy flow of the story and dialogue. Thanks for your nice comment.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Shrabastee wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 04:04 I loved this review.. It reflects the essence of the book very well.. I have also read and enjoyed this book. I absolutely agree with your points. Thanks!
Thanks, you are far too kind. It really is an enjoyable book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”