Review by Mr Justin -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mr Justin
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Mr Justin -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Mr Justin » 14 Sep 2018, 03:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

(The following is a review by a volunteer)
The “Sigfried’s Smelly Socks” by Len Foley is a story about a young Sigfried‘s hilarious and vivid journey to discover the source of a terrible smell −whilst Sigfried knew the source of foul-smelling, he decided to take his family and the readers of this book on an adventurous ‘Sense of Smell ‘trip. But was the trip adventurous? You really have to find out when you read this book. However, I will serve you with the book menu in a summary as follows:

Sigfried appealed to the sense of smell or the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents: Children really love anything that appeals to their five senses or the faculties that enable them distinguish not only scents, objects, sounds, tastes but also feelings. Indeed, the source of a terrible smell was a pile of unwashed socks that Sigfried had kept hidden beneath his bed: Some of the socks’ smell was like rotten cabbage, skunk feet or like the dog slobber.

Len managed to develop Sigfried as a strong character, and the plot is unique for children of three-seven years of age. Len’s descriptive language is excellent, and the skillfully illustrated book is also attractive to both the young and adult readers.

Interestingly, Len has a gift for words that enabled him to describe different types of smelly stuff. Len penned down a book that is not only suitable for children’s acquisition of language, but also for the adult readership. In fact, I enjoyed reading this informative, educative and entertaining book.

I did not find either typographical errors or grammatical mistakes. However, the smelly imagery this book creates is a fact worthy noting as it may be put -off some readers. What I do not like about this book is some of the big words used for young readers. Young readers need simple and easy words to understand, and not too hard words to assimilate. However, I suggest that the book be revised: Include a word meaning glossary to serve as a reading aid for children. Nevertheless, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars, and recommend it for children of five-seven years of age.

Children of three-four years of age could only read the book together with either their parents or a class teacher. Most of all; notwithstanding the foregoing recommendations, I also recommend that this book be adapted into education curriculum for teaching children different types of smelly stuff.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mr Justin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”