Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Chrome Mountain

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Chrome Mountain

Post by ShailaSheshadri » 13 Sep 2018, 23:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ben Schneider, the author of Chrome Mountain, presents an intriguing story in this exciting thriller. This novel includes a plot consisting of a malicious biker gang, an active terrorist organization, a geeky scientist, and futuristic technologies. The story begins with the background information of the two leading characters Sonya and Trey. Sonya unknowingly joins an evil biker gang that carried out illegal activities and harmed people for money. Once she found out about the involvement of the gang in destructive activities, she seriously tried coming out of the gang. But, the gang members chased her. In spite of her brave efforts, it was almost impossible to run away from them.

Trey, a nerdy scientist, invents an invisibility cloak and destroys it because he thought it would reach the wrong hands and help for the destructive activities. He gets hunted by “Chrome Falcons,” a heavily armed and technically equipped terrorist organization that employed futuristic technologies. Trey was unaware, why they were running after him. The intensity of their search was so horrible they followed him everywhere through gunships, destroyed the surrounding areas, and hurt people around. He could not even seek help from the authorities because they doubted he is joined with the terrorists.

In one such chasing incident, he met Sonya who was riding a Harley-Davidson. She is a girl of bravado and helped Trey in his efforts to escape from the terrorists. They joined hands, successfully boarded a gunship, wrecked it, and acquired money, diamonds, and weapons. Always they were under the threat of being caught. In the meanwhile, CBI came to their help. Still, it was a terrible experience for both of them to protect themselves, their families, and the innocent people around them from the destructive group. The whole story is action-packed and thrilling. There is a lot of suspense in the storyline. Each moment, you will be awestruck to see the heroic actions of Sonya. I liked her demeanor. She is portrayed as a fit girl with a finely shaped body, who is often seen riding a Harley-Davidson. I was excited while reading the narration about her exceptional dressing and the riding gear.

Undeniably, this is an enthralling story that includes an intense plot. The leading characters are energetic and charming. The past stories of the protagonists certainly made the characterization very impressive. In the meanwhile, I was put off by the unrealistic conversations and the exaggerated narrations the author employed in the text. Many times, the narrative appeared verbose and fanciful. The story includes a lengthy conversation between two leading characters about Christian faith. One of the characters was portrayed as non-religious in the beginning and subsequently, the same character was depicted as a staunch Christian. It looks like the author meant the change from a non-believer to a believer occurred due to the desperate situations the character faced when chased by the cruel terrorists. Whatever the circumstance, can a person suddenly become a theist? I believe a person to accept theism involves quite a bit of time.

The text included a powerful vocabulary. However, Ben Schneider used a few derogatory words, such as slut, whore, etc. that are not welcome in a standard novel. Hence, this book can’t be recommended for adolescents. One more negative aspect of the novel is the lack of cultural sensitivity shown by the author. Sometimes, he referred to the characters as Asian, Jewfro, etc. In the present world, people are highly sensitive. Hence, addressing a person by his group appears bad and hurts his feelings. There are circumstances when the author used derogatory remarks about fat or obese people. It looks like he used those words just to make the narration interesting; but frankly speaking, it won’t make the text look funny.

Another thing that came to my notice was the internal monologues by the characters. They didn’t seem realistic. They were elaborate and fanciful. In the usual way, nobody will imagine to themselves that way. On the whole, the book is lengthy because of the excessive narration. There were a few conversations I merely glanced. Even so, I didn’t lose anything because they were not essential to the story.

In spite of all these negative issues, I wish to rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. It is chiefly because this is an intriguing story and the book is properly edited. I didn’t come across any grammar mistake. As this is the debut novel of the author, I believe the review may aid him to improve in his upcoming publications. I recommend this to all readers who love action thrillers. But, this is not a book for children as it contains a few violent scenes and a handful of bad words, used when referring to women.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ShailaSheshadri's review? Post a comment saying so!

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt » 18 Sep 2018, 09:22

Great review. Just finished reading the book. I agree with you about the name calling and descriptions. I gave the book three stars also.
:techie-studyingbrown:

ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ShailaSheshadri » 19 Sep 2018, 02:50

Thanks. I am satisfied to know that you also felt the same with the novel.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”