Review by zarah_ -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by zarah_ -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by zarah_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have to admit that I didn't find the title nor the book cover appealing and I was quite hesitant to pick this book up at first but I'm glad I did anyway. The moment I started reading it, all prior judgments were out thrown the window and I knew I was in for a ride.

What could separate three murders have in common? Denise Stewart alongside Chief Inspector Sheehan and the team at Strandtown Station are to solve the mystery behind the deaths of three individuals that all happened to be killed at precisely 11:05pm on different Tuesdays. Who could have done such a conniving act and what could be their motive? The clues don't seem to add up and there's something about the case that tells Stewart that there’s more to this.

11:05 Murders has everything you could ask for in a mystery novel. Murders, unexpected twists and turns, and a whole lot of suspense. Brian O'Hare did a great job at telling the story in a way that isn't too predictable and keeps you wanting to read more. There were so many questions that needed to be answered and every time a there was a new lead, I'd hoped that it would mean something for the case.

I appreciate how real the author made the characters with their quirks and backstory. There are scenes of them during their spare time at home or significant other that made the story all the more engaging. Similar to the characters, I always tried to take note of any details, no matter how small. I felt like I was also part of the team when there were meetings and stakeouts and I couldn't help but be suspicious of almost everyone they would encounter. It is a small world after all and anyone could be the suspect in the way the case is set up.

The book was well-written and was executed so I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I advise against reading this book at night, especially if you need to get up early the next day because it could be hard to put down. If you're on the hunt for books similar to Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series, then this could be a great read for you. I wouldn't recommend this if you're too sensitive to graphic details as there are some gory/bloody scenes which would also not be suitable for younger readers.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like zarah_'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read your review of the books 11:05 Murders by Brian O Hare. You have explained well about the title and nature of the books but you couldn't explain its summary in a well manner.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I agree with you that the plot is good and has lots of twists. I enjoyed reading it too.

And I like the way you say you felt part of the team! :)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I advise against reading this book at night, especially if you need to get up early the next day because it could be hard to put down.

Lol! Your review captures the important aspects of the book well. I also enjoyed reading it, just that I found a few aspects sloppy. Great review!
Feel free to check out my review at
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51477
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
zarah_
Currently Reading:

Post by zarah_ »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 15:50 I have read your review of the books 11:05 Murders by Brian O Hare. You have explained well about the title and nature of the books but you couldn't explain its summary in a well manner.
Hi, thanks for the feedback. :) It would be great if you were more specific. How could I improve the summary?
zarah_
Currently Reading:

Post by zarah_ »

Julie Green wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 13:39 I agree with you that the plot is good and has lots of twists. I enjoyed reading it too.

And I like the way you say you felt part of the team! :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it, too. :D Props to the author for making it that engaging.
zarah_
Currently Reading:

Post by zarah_ »

Cotwani wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 15:47
I advise against reading this book at night, especially if you need to get up early the next day because it could be hard to put down.

Lol! Your review captures the important aspects of the book well. I also enjoyed reading it, just that I found a few aspects sloppy. Great review!
Feel free to check out my review at
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51477
Thanks for your kind words. :) I'm curious, though; which parts did you find sloppy?
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

The review was interesting. Although I do not find this book appealing, I can surely see that it has some positive qualities that aficionados of this genre will find amusing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”