Review by readywriter59 -- World, Incorporated

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
readywriter59
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Breaking Sandcastles</a>
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readywriter59.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by readywriter59 -- World, Incorporated

Post by readywriter59 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia by Tom Gariffo is an awesome science fiction read. The main character, Agent Silver, is responsible for following the orders of a CEO who is part of one of the five Super-corporations that make up the governmental structure. The world as it was known previously no longer exists. The new world and its’ new systems are fighting to maintain a specified existence even if it means destroying any opposition.

The story has a “new world order” feel to it. The year is 2058. People are no longer referred to as citizens but as consumers (reminds me of the “useless eaters” or T4 Program). Agent Silver is sent on a mission that does not go as planned. Agent Silver opts to make a decision he feels he will soon regret. Throughout the story Silver is battling within himself as he fulfills his obligations to the Corporations. While carrying out his orders he becomes faced with concepts that cause him to question why he does what he does.

I enjoyed how this story developed. Even though the story is a futuristic fiction novel, the concepts and ideologies are not far from the economic conditions of today. It would be easy to get lost in the framework of this writing and forget that it is a story. It appears to have messages that readers should contemplate and take under advisement as it views the economic structure of America in particular. The author has expertly taken events from the 1960’s to the present time and used them to create a masterpiece.

This book reminds me of “Confessions of an Economic Hitman” by John Perkins. Perkins’ book is based on documented facts. Gariffo’s book may be fictional but when you lay it beside Perkins’ book you will find similarities that are quite startling. This futuristic work raises questions and possibilities that cannot be ignored, I believe.

Propaganda is real. We, as Americans, have been lied to and continue to be lied to about the state of our nation. Like Silver, we can all question what our place is in the grand scheme of things and what is our responsibility to this world? We need to look at the world system and remember our past in order not to repeat the things that have transgressed our nation. The story is one of fantasy and dramatics, but a bit of truth rings through loud and clear. We need to pay attention.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The characters are believable, and the transitions were smooth and appropriate. For those who enjoy scientific thrillers this is a must read. This book did not disappoint. There was enough action, the right amount of dialog and purpose to keep any reader interested in the events. I found it hard to put this one down. The book caused me to contemplate and think long after I concluded each chapter. I was excited to read each chapter and it felt like I was walking through the pages with an old friend who was seeking guidance and wishing I could interject. You will not regret reading this one.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like readywriter59's review? Post a comment saying so!
DJHowson
Favorite Book: The Lightkeeper's Daughters
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by DJHowson »

Thanks for the review. I’m enticed to read this book! I would like to know what lessons you learned and how your economic philosophies have grown through the influence of this story.
readywriter59
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Breaking Sandcastles</a>
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readywriter59.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by readywriter59 »

Intriguing. Enjoy the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”